Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: APR

Spyder competitor? new Z4

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2017, 01:08 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,099 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I've owned BMW's since 1999, and the last in the stable is my 2015 M4. Could be my last I can't deal with the turbo and horroble sound that I've tried to get use too. I love the sound of the flat six nothing like it, and not sure BMW can compete there because it will be a turbo car. I could be wrong but I do think they have lost their way with making special cars. Look at the current new M5, and all they did was in most opinions a refresh looks like the same car from 2012. I'm ready to just. Hold my keys on my NA RS and Spyder for a long long time.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:35 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Looks good, but won't be a valid competitor for the Spyder. Boxster S, yes. Spyder, No.

Perhaps an M version would be -- but Porsche and BMW have very different philosophies.
Old 08-19-2017, 02:39 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by Maverick787
I've owned BMW's since 1999, and the last in the stable is my 2015 M4. Could be my last I can't deal with the turbo and horroble sound that I've tried to get use too. I love the sound of the flat six nothing like it, and not sure BMW can compete there because it will be a turbo car. I could be wrong but I do think they have lost their way with making special cars. Look at the current new M5, and all they did was in most opinions a refresh looks like the same car from 2012. I'm ready to just. Hold my keys on my NA RS and Spyder for a long long time.

+1

Sold my M4 because I couldn't stand the noise (primary reason anyway). I also did not like the steering feel and the power delivery wasn't to be desired given that it was a burnout machine down low if you got all the way on it.... even with the vert. It was engaging with the manual though... more so than my Turbo S.

That said, the M4 was great to drive. I don't know. It really was -- just didn't have that special feeling that you had in the E92. But it was indeed a great car. I would have gladly swapped the M4 'vert for a 335 vert if I could have gotten the nicer leather interior along with it.

Spyder and Jeep are the perfect combo IMO. I'll say that the Spyder is a significantly better car than my 997.2 Turbo S in every way from a pure driving perspective (couldn't really safely use the power of the TTS), but maybe it's just confirmation bias, I don't know. The new 991 TTS though seems like it would be a great DD, but I rather have my Jeep for that.

Originally Posted by Marvinta
The BMW 6 speed MT is one of the best in the business. IF they make it an option, then that will be a plus. I would be very surprised if the final version looks anything like this car but we'll see. Overall, BMW's have a weight problem. I can't imagine this car will get under 3000 pounds. The bigger issue is steering feel/ chasis. That's what they will need to perfect to compete with a base 718, let alone a Spyder. Horsepower is not the issue. Given BMW's recent history I'm frankly not optimistic. But I sure hope I"m wrong.
I love the BMW 6 speed. Love love love. The Porsche one is great though too, but both BMW and Porsche's offering in that department blow away every American offering hands down. The Mustang 6 speed (at least the MT-82) is ATROCIOUS! Don't think BMW has a desire to get their cars to weigh significantly less. Again, different philosophies. It'll probably end up around 3500-3600 lb. Good looking car, but not positioned against Porsche. It'll be positioned against offerings from Audi, Mercedes, Jaguar. I would say FIAT, but so far those cars have proven to be the biggest unreliable pieces of **** America has seen in years. Impressive, actually.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:49 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Actual photos:

http://www.bmwblog.com/2017/08/17/fi...-pebble-beach/
Old 08-20-2017, 03:20 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
(couldn't really safely use the power of the TTS), but maybe it's just confirmation bias, I don't know. The new 991 TTS though seems like it would be a great DD
You're confusing me here. The 997.2 TTS power couldn't be used safely, but the 991.2 TTS - which is much more powerful - would be a great DD?

Anyway, I really like the direct front view of the Z4 and the profile, in the real car (vs renderings) doesn't look much like a Miata at all. So that's good.

But I hate that interior! I know, it's a concept, and I won't be after a Z4 anyway, but just yech!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:07 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,878 Likes on 1,903 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
In the latest installment of the Transformers franchise...

Looks awful. The rear is a mess. BMW seems to have gone back to the shock and awe approach to car design, not dissimilar to when they Bangle-ized. It's a shame, because there was a time when BMW made timeless designs, cars that would look great in any era. Been about 15 years since they did anything like that though.

Last edited by Archimedes; 08-21-2017 at 02:56 PM.
Old 08-20-2017, 07:02 PM
WaltB
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 67 Posts

You mean "you" could not really safely use the power of the TTS.
My 997TTS is tuned and just over 600HP and I wish it had a little more.
Of course, I thought the F-14A Tomcat was underpowered!

Walt

(couldn't really safely use the power of the TTS)
Old 08-20-2017, 10:17 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

The A was underpowered. The D fixed that, though!
Old 08-21-2017, 02:29 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by skiahh
You're confusing me here. The 997.2 TTS power couldn't be used safely, but the 991.2 TTS - which is much more powerful - would be a great DD?

Anyway, I really like the direct front view of the Z4 and the profile, in the real car (vs renderings) doesn't look much like a Miata at all. So that's good.

But I hate that interior! I know, it's a concept, and I won't be after a Z4 anyway, but just yech!
Sorry, should have said 991 in general as a DD. Big upgrade over the 997.2.

For me personally when I was looking at cars and deciding what I wanted in the Porsche line-up, my initial gut reaction was just to go back towards a TTS again. Started to look at the base 991.2 though as well, which would have been fun, but I kept going back to the Spyder as I didn't really need a car I could DD anyway.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:57 PM
guab
Pro

Originally Posted by WaltB
You mean "you" could not really safely use the power of the TTS.
My 997TTS is tuned and just over 600HP and I wish it had a little more.
Of course, I thought the F-14A Tomcat was underpowered!

Walt

(couldn't really safely use the power of the TTS)
I certainly couldn't, haha -- not on the street. 3 seconds and you're going to jail.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:47 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,976 Likes on 919 Posts

No NA, no care
Old 08-23-2017, 03:52 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 29 Posts

Porsche - There is no substitute.
Old 08-23-2017, 10:41 PM
various cheeses
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

I like how the center console appears to be slightly angled toward the driver. I miss that about my E46 M3.

Quick Reply: Spyder competitor? new Z4