Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayman 981s vs. 718

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 11:47 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,303 Likes on 887 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Look at those numbers closely. They don't add up. The 718 shows as being 269 pounds heavier with 25 less BHP and 7 ft pounds more torque.
No doubt a 981S vs the 718S the 718S should be faster. But I think we need a better source for performance figures.
They have been sandbagging the specs on the turbos, for whatever reason. E.g., look at road tests of the base 991.2 versus the figures quoted by Porsche marketing.

I wouldn't be surprised if a base 718 can beat a 981 S. Nor would I care. They will both be blown into the same weeds by a Camaro, so it makes sense to base your shopping decisions on different criteria.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:09 AM
Dom991.1
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

Not to throw fuel on this fire (or incite anyone) but rather to share something of relevance to this conversation from the internet - I was SUPRISED and saddened to see the 718 as #20 on this list: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enthusiasts/the-cars-america-should-have-loved-but-didn%E2%80%99t/ss-AAvb3c4?ocid=mmx&PC=EMMX01

Hopefully this turns around quick -Dom
Old 01-31-2018, 01:00 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Not to throw fuel on this fire (or incite anyone) but rather to share something of relevance to this conversation from the internet - I was SUPRISED and saddened to see the 718 as #20 on this list: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...=mmx&PC=EMMX01

I've owned one car on that list. An XR4Ti. Loved that car. Black, manual trans, sunroof. If only I could have cured the brake shudder.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:08 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dom991.1
Not to throw fuel on this fire (or incite anyone) but rather to share something of relevance to this conversation from the internet - I was SUPRISED and saddened to see the 718 as #20 on this list: https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/enth...=mmx&PC=EMMX01

I actually like the fact that the 718 is a hidden gem and that you rarely see one on the road. In fact, in my neck of the woods, I've never seen one... except at a dealer.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:22 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by lajoiedp
I actually like the fact that the 718 is a hidden gem and that you rarely see one on the road. In fact, in my neck of the woods, I've never seen one... except at a dealer.
It's great to own a rare car which is rare because of a limited production, not so great when its rare because not many want one. Based on performance the 718 should be selling well, but I suppose that not many buyers are interested in $80K+ 4 cyl cars. OTOH if you love your car and plan to keep it a long time, I don't see a downside in owning a car which isn't in demand.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Pontiac Azteks are pretty rare as well...
Old 01-31-2018, 04:00 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Originally Posted by fast1
It's great to own a rare car which is rare because of a limited production, not so great when its rare because not many want one. Based on performance the 718 should be selling well, but I suppose that not many buyers are interested in $80K+ 4 cyl cars. OTOH if you love your car and plan to keep it a long time, I don't see a downside in owning a car which isn't in demand.
Let me guess, you own a 981/987? I don't see that many of them either, so they must not be in demand either. Please!!! My point is that the Porsche Cayman/Boxster model is rare, the 781 even more rare (as it just came out). Not because it's not better than the 981/987, because in my opinion it is (I have driven both) but because sports cars of this type, in general, are of minimal demand by the general public. BTW, my Cayman after discount was in the $60k's. Is it acceptable to spend on a 4 cyl car (turbo-charged) that has more HP and Torque then its predecessor?
Old 01-31-2018, 04:16 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Pontiac Azteks are pretty rare as well...
So is a VW Golf.
Old 01-31-2018, 04:19 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,879 Likes on 1,904 Posts

So is a VW Golf.
Yes, but one was limited production and they sold every one and the other was mass produced and they couldn't give them away.
Old 01-31-2018, 08:44 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Let me guess, you own a 981/987? I don't see that many of them either, so they must not be in demand either. Please!!! My point is that the Porsche Cayman/Boxster model is rare, the 781 even more rare (as it just came out). Not because it's not better than the 981/987, because in my opinion it is (I have driven both) but because sports cars of this type, in general, are of minimal demand by the general public. BTW, my Cayman after discount was in the $60k's. Is it acceptable to spend on a 4 cyl car (turbo-charged) that has more HP and Torque then its predecessor?
This never ends! Peak power is so irrelevant to the driving experience, yet it's the bottom line argument for so many. I typically use about half my car's peak torque and hp at any point while I'm out driving, and I only drive my car for pleasure. I don't care if it's a 987, 981, or 982 these cars have the performance to more than satisfy the demand from the driver in any driving situation. Peak power is meaningless unless you're redlining the car through every gear along your journey. At that point, you can make an argument as to a performance difference. I'm assuming you never owned a 987 or 981 as you seem to really miss the point of these cars and go straight to the spec sheet to argue merit.
Old 01-31-2018, 09:48 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
This never ends! Peak power is so irrelevant to the driving experience, yet it's the bottom line argument for so many. I typically use about half my car's peak torque and hp at any point while I'm out driving, and I only drive my car for pleasure. I don't care if it's a 987, 981, or 982 these cars have the performance to more than satisfy the demand from the driver in any driving situation. Peak power is meaningless unless you're redlining the car through every gear along your journey. At that point, you can make an argument as to a performance difference. I'm assuming you never owned a 987 or 981 as you seem to really miss the point of these cars and go straight to the spec sheet to argue merit.
Have you owned a 718? That’s what I thought!

It’s not just about peak power. It’s about greatly improved low end torque, handling, breaking and overall performance.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Buy the cheapest 718 you can.
Get the 7 litre normally aspirated V8 transplant.
Great sound. 500 hp. and all the torque you could want.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:37 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 257 Likes on 153 Posts

Have you owned a 718? That’s what I thought!

It’s not just about peak power. It’s about greatly improved low end torque, handling, breaking and overall performance.
You are a marketer's dream. You really blindly believe all that's being sold to you. Greatly improved yet it doesn't outperform my 981 Spyder, which is a beast in comparison. Do you have the PASM sport suspension option? Because if you don't you also don't have the "improved handling" which is really a comparison of base to base. You have the same steering as my 981 Spyder, which is a Porsche norm to pass parts to future models. You also have less power than my car. A lot less. Less top speed. Less braking power and less road holding ability. You do have a higher center of gravity, although that's a negative. But in reality I could care less which car is faster as I can only drive one at a time. I will never own a 718 because it does not excite me in any way. Not that the standard 981s were that exciting to me either. I would have kept my 987 Cayman R, which is driving perfection if the Spyder didn't come along. I would also take back my former Cayman R, which was $90k new, over your 718 in a heartbeat as the Cayman R is the better driving experience and will also be more desirable car to own in future years, and more valuable. The steering alone in the Cayman R is sublime. I'm sure you'll disagree based on some magazine story and the fact you've "driven both."
Old 02-01-2018, 03:08 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Lots of groundhog day here..........

I find it fascinating the level of antipathy shown by 981 owners towards 718 (982) owners. Its worth remembering there are always way faster cars, way better handling cars and way better looking/sounding cars out there in the real world. Porsche sports cars are very good but in the main they are a long way from the top of the hill.

Personally, I have a lot of time for the Cayman/Boxster in any form - in my opinion its the best sports car Porsche make.

Last edited by RRDnA; 02-01-2018 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:39 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
You are a marketer's dream. You really blindly believe all that's being sold to you. Greatly improved yet it doesn't outperform my 981 Spyder, which is a beast in comparison. Do you have the PASM sport suspension option? Because if you don't you also don't have the "improved handling" which is really a comparison of base to base. You have the same steering as my 981 Spyder, which is a Porsche norm to pass parts to future models. You also have less power than my car. A lot less. Less top speed. Less braking power and less road holding ability. You do have a higher center of gravity, although that's a negative. But in reality I could care less which car is faster as I can only drive one at a time. I will never own a 718 because it does not excite me in any way. Not that the standard 981s were that exciting to me either. I would have kept my 987 Cayman R, which is driving perfection if the Spyder didn't come along. I would also take back my former Cayman R, which was $90k new, over your 718 in a heartbeat as the Cayman R is the better driving experience and will also be more desirable car to own in future years, and more valuable. The steering alone in the Cayman R is sublime. I'm sure you'll disagree based on some magazine story and the fact you've "driven both."
Typical 981 owner response. If you read closely you would have picked up that I was comparing the base 981 to the base 718, which is what one should do when comparing different generations of the same model. Performance in those two vehicles is not even close. Your argument is both predictable and laughable.

Quick Reply: Cayman 981s vs. 718