Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front Brakes Squeal

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2017, 05:19 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front Brakes Squeal

So it's day 5 with the Cayman GTS...absolutely love everything about this car...it's an amazing machine.

The only nit I have to pick after driving it so far is that the front brakes squeal a lot around town. At greater pressure on the brakes, not so much, but easier braking and driving in traffic they squeal at about a 7.5/10.

- Pads look pretty new, and car had a 20k check out and new pads at that time, as well as everything checked out mechanically before purchase.
- I've washed the car twice and the second time I let the wheels and rotors sit for 4-6 minutes with the Sonax Full Effect decontamination stuff on them (and they were cold before applying, I made sure of it).
- The brakes did NOT whine at all on my 400 mile drive from San Jose, and I guess they were nice and hot on the slow, traffic I-405 portion once I got near LA.

So I'm not sure why they're whining like a beeeee now. Maybe I'm not getting them warmed up on my local trips? Maybe I'm too easy on the brakes while I feel out the car?

Maybe...I'm an idiot? Thanks guys, this being a Cayman noob is fun and a little odd all at once!
Old 05-17-2017, 05:21 PM
LastMezger
Rennlist Member

Received 115 Likes on 87 Posts

Lots of high-friction performance pads squeal unfortunately. I've had this on several Pcars and other makes.
Old 05-17-2017, 05:24 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Okay, good to know...my '09 M3 had aftermarket Brembo Ceramic pads and they did whine. But I am betting the Porsche pads are a bit higher end even.

Thanks!
Old 05-17-2017, 06:17 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No issues on my car but I used these on my 986 and they work like magic. I see they are discontinued but all they were are high temp thin stickers for the back of the pads maybe you can find some kind of substitute or somewhere that carries them.
http://www.automotion.com/brake-pads...r-porsche.html

Edit* these look like the same thing

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brake-Pad-...-/191314514764
Old 05-17-2017, 06:26 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Probably just needs the new pads bedded.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

My old Cortina 1600 GT pads squealed enough to make pedestrians jump for cover! Fortunately they stopped after a couple of months.

The only solution I heard of was to drill a few holes (maybe 3 or 4--I can't remember, it was in 1969) in the leading edges of the pads and insert some graphite pencil leads.

Greg
Old 05-18-2017, 11:37 AM
HoBoJoe
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Bill
Probably just needs the new pads bedded.
This.

Try doing a handful of 60 - 0 stops aggressively. You don't need to get into the ABS, but get on them hard. After 5 times or so you'll notice a change in braking feel, drive around for a bit without using them to let them cool.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:18 PM
ScottyZ
Track Day

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
This.

Try doing a handful of 60 - 0 stops aggressively. You don't need to get into the ABS, but get on them hard. After 5 times or so you'll notice a change in braking feel, drive around for a bit without using them to let them cool.

Okay, I'll do some bedding of the brakes and try my best to scare the living **** out of some LA drivers...Heads Up everyone!

Thanks all for the input...
Old 05-19-2017, 04:55 PM
Tremelune
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

This car is new? Take it back and tell them to fix it. I don't think anyone would sell a car with brakes that intentionally squeak off the showroom floor.

If you want to monkey with it yourself, I suspect if you take the pads out, clean the pins and springs, and lube every mating surface with brake grease it'll go away.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:30 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,298 Likes on 886 Posts

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
This.

Need more than 60 MPH. A lot more.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:21 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm guessing that this is a used car with non OEM pads installed. I like squeal, but then I like stickers and numbers too.

Quick Reply: Front Brakes Squeal