Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tracking their 981 ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2017, 08:45 PM
rm21
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got 16 heat cycles out of my RE71r's. They probably had 3 or 4 more cycles left, but I had to get the car prepped for a weekend at Road Atlanta so I needed to get them changed. I was at the Smokies event last week at AMP, which is particularly hard on tires, so I probably could have gotten more cycles out of them. I really like the tires, just trying to find some more time with the R7s. Glad to hear you are happy with the Giro rotors. I'm running in CHIN red (advanced) and my Cayman S times are about 2 seconds faster than best times in the GT4 track database at the tracks I run, so I'm pushing the car pretty hard. Here are some recent laps from Barber.

Old 04-26-2017, 07:51 PM
slvr993
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 33 Posts

What seats and Harness bars are you guys using?
Old 04-26-2017, 11:14 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm using a BGB Motorsport bolt in harness bar with halo bar. Fits nice, seems pretty robust and completely reversible should that ever be desired. Sparco seats on Brey Krause sliders, but I'd probably use a different combo if doing it again due to mediocre quality and fitment.
Old 05-14-2017, 06:34 PM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rm21
I got 16 heat cycles out of my RE71r's. They probably had 3 or 4 more cycles left, but I had to get the car prepped for a weekend at Road Atlanta so I needed to get them changed. I was at the Smokies event last week at AMP, which is particularly hard on tires, so I probably could have gotten more cycles out of them. I really like the tires, just trying to find some more time with the R7s. Glad to hear you are happy with the Giro rotors. I'm running in CHIN red (advanced) and my Cayman S times are about 2 seconds faster than best times in the GT4 track database at the tracks I run, so I'm pushing the car pretty hard. Here are some recent laps from Barber.

https://youtu.be/qCx08sIbqK8
RM21, those are terrific times at BMP; I learned something from your approach to the kink. Stock suspension?
Thank you,
PS - if you are not already signed up, join our PCA Father's Day weekend @ BMP. Signup is at www.clubregistration.net
Old 05-16-2017, 12:27 PM
ninjabones
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Couple of questions for guys tracking their 981's regularly. Anyone find a source for caliper studs for the 981S?

It seems from the discussions on planet 9, that center radiator is a must. Any data on engine temps from guys running without one?

How is tire wear without gt3 control arms? Are you guys running r-comps (e.g. hoosiers) able to get enough camber with the stock control arms (what's approx. max camber with stock control arms)?

Anyone try the X73 sway on the rear to improve understeer vs. available adjustable fr/rr setups (e.g. TPC)?
Old 05-16-2017, 03:12 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I've been getting my caliper studs from Girodisc. I use new studs (oops, I meant bolts) each time I change the rotors.

Not sure what they have been saying at P9 but my track oil temps have been stable at 244 max without the central radiator. (2.7 L). Since the car also stabilizes at this same temp during ordinary summer driving I figured that it is designed to operate at this temp. Maybe with some performance mods the temp may run hotter?

I'm running X73 and got close to 2 degrees camber all around with everything else stock. It may have been a little under, but not much. Tire wear has been acceptable. Running NT01s and RE71Rs. Hoosiers are the next level up in grip, and I haven't gone there yet..

Last edited by Pep!RRRR; 05-16-2017 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:02 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

Tarett has caliper studs. As opposed to the caliper bolts, you do not need to change studs with each pad or rotor change.
Old 05-16-2017, 04:54 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
I'm selling the race car and trailer etc and going back to DE and Track days. While I decide what car to buy for the purpose I was considering tracking my 981 GTS. Anyone tracking thier 981? Any issues, overheating - oil or PDK ? I won't be tracking it extensively but would like to use it while I shop. Could see 4-5 track days.

Thanks
Jeff
We have built 2 981 race cars for PCA and have run them with total success! The 981 is a great platform. You can't go wrong with PDK or manual. I tell everyone whether they're running 987s or 981s, don't skimp on the center 3rd radiator. We sell all sorts of stuff for these cars to go fast and have more grip and stop better but in the grand scheme of things, money spent on the center 3rd radiator is money well spent. As for performance, a 3.4L 981 running GTS software and mods is rather fast. In full race trim our car that we made was running with the Clubsports BUT a GTS with a full list of mods vs. a bone stock Clubsport is only off about 20 hp at the crank; sure there is a torque difference but the PCA car was fast.

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
I'm using a BGB Motorsport bolt in harness bar with halo bar. Fits nice, seems pretty robust and completely reversible should that ever be desired. Sparco seats on Brey Krause sliders, but I'd probably use a different combo if doing it again due to mediocre quality and fitment.
Thanks for always repping the BGB 4-point bar!

Originally Posted by ninjabones
Couple of questions for guys tracking their 981's regularly. Anyone find a source for caliper studs for the 981S?

It seems from the discussions on planet 9, that center radiator is a must. Any data on engine temps from guys running without one?

How is tire wear without gt3 control arms? Are you guys running r-comps (e.g. hoosiers) able to get enough camber with the stock control arms (what's approx. max camber with stock control arms)?

Anyone try the X73 sway on the rear to improve understeer vs. available adjustable fr/rr setups (e.g. TPC)?
We get our caliper studs from the folks that make them for some of the major vendors here. It's the same outfit that has been making our wheel studs since 2010. You need split arms to get sufficient camber. Typical range for a car maxed out on stock adjustment AND LOWERED with springs is about 2.0 degrees. The rear isn't too bad but the front is where you need it. The rear bar helps with the understeer but the understeer starts with the lack of rear camber.
Old 05-16-2017, 11:31 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
As for performance, a 3.4L 981 running GTS software and mods is rather fast.
So how do I get this GTS software you speak of installed on my BS?
Old 05-16-2017, 11:48 PM
needmoregarage
Rennlist Member

Received 1,560 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by slvr993
I'm selling the race car and trailer etc and going back to DE and Track days. While I decide what car to buy for the purpose I was considering tracking my 981 GTS. Anyone tracking thier 981? Any issues, overheating - oil or PDK ? I won't be tracking it extensively but would like to use it while I shop. Could see 4-5 track days.

Thanks
Jeff
Jeff - your race car is spectacular! It'll make someone VERY happy and is a GREAT deal! And that Peridot Metallic....

A friend has a 981 GTS which they moved to after a base 981 for a year. Both see track time although he usually tracks his GT3. I've driven both of his Caymans at the Glen. Spectacular car and lots of fun. Ran great - zero issues. I agree re upgrading brakes. His were bone stock and don't see enough track time to warrant mods.

I have Tarett caliper studs on the GT4. Haven't had a pad change yet but I know it'll make it much easier.

Did you see this thread about going to a smaller wheel size? This pertains to the GT4 dropping from 20 to 19, and I don't know if all 981 would be affected in the same way - but worth understanding to avoid an issue. The first post gives details and photos.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9891...eels-read.html

Good luck!
Old 05-17-2017, 09:11 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 608 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by okie981
So how do I get this GTS software you speak of installed on my BS?
At this point only Cobb has the ability for us to do this remotely with their Accesport and custom ECU file. Since you're an S, you have a throttle restriction and since you're a Boxster you have a further throttle restriction. You are 2 steps behind a Cayman GTS BUT it's all just a matter of software.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:19 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 618 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
At this point only Cobb has the ability for us to do this remotely with their Accesport and custom ECU file. Since you're an S, you have a throttle restriction and since you're a Boxster you have a further throttle restriction. You are 2 steps behind a Cayman GTS BUT it's all just a matter of software.
Is there a difference in the physical intake and throttle parts between 981 Boxster S cars and Boxster GTS cars?

Quick Reply: Anyone tracking their 981 ?