Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Cayman S high oil temp

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 05:18 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Byprodriver
[/B]

This is the simplest, least invasive, & guaranteed effective 1st step!

Go to lnengineering.com to see what they did to make their 4.2L engine live on track.
Very much agree. (As I have have mentioned before I was told by techs who not only worked on cars for a living, but built their own car engines for competition and engaged in competition that it was just good sense to when showing up at the track to have fresh oil in the engine.)

I will have to say though that an oil temperature of 245F is getting warm and were it me and my car I might consider stopping the session before 30 minutes if the oil got that hot. (How does (or did) Bruce Anderson put it: The proper operating temperature range for a 911 engine is from 180F to 220F. An oil temperature of 230F is warm., 240F is hot, and 250F is too damn hot. I wouldn't worry too much about seeing either hot or too damn hot on a trip, it would be on an everyday driving basis or with a dedicated track car that these temperatures would concern me.)

People seem to believe these cars are track ready and they are not. That they can go from the street to track and then while on the track experience the stress and heat and what have you and not blow up or break on the track is a testament to their quality and the margin of their design and implementation but they are not race cars. They are clearly very good sports cars, though.
Old 04-01-2015, 02:34 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

At 83F ambient and 83 mph steady speed in 6th (top) gear, my 981 2014 Cayman S ran 194F water and 235F oil temp. That oil temp seems high to me too. It can't have much of an oil/water intercooler. Is there a larger one available?
They told me my CS has a center radiator, but if it exists it appears to be blocked off, unlike my old 987 Boxster S.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
At 83F ambient and 83 mph steady speed in 6th (top) gear, my 981 2014 Cayman S ran 194F water and 235F oil temp. That oil temp seems high to me too. It can't have much of an oil/water intercooler. Is there a larger one available? They told me my CS has a center radiator, but if it exists it appears to be blocked off, unlike my old 987 Boxster S.
Only the cayman GTS has a third radiator. 235F is ok, but with track use it will likely go too high.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:22 PM
gled
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did finish my 3rd radiator install, waiting to track test again to see results. Will post results. Parts for the install were found in cooling system, AC and front bumper. G.Led
Old 04-27-2015, 07:36 PM
CSF Cooling
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

This might help people out as another option for the center radiator -
http://lnengineering.com/products/cs...he-boxster-981
Old 04-28-2015, 12:23 AM
futurz
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I drive a 981 CS with PDK almost exclusively on the track. Running in PCA Black group.
Here is what I know:
The 194F you see on the dash is not accurate. All it tells you is that the coolant is in an acceptable range according to Porsche.
The oil temp will easily hit 225 or more, just cruising down the freeway until you put it into Sports or Sports Plus mode, then the oil temp will go down.
Oil and coolant temps are controlled by the ECU. No mechanical thermostats.
Last year my oil temps were running from 270 to 280 on hot days at altitude. Its harder to cool at altitude.
Since then, I have installed a third radiator and an additional diff. oil/coolant exchanger. My car now has 4 oil/coolant exchangers - one for the engine, one for the ATF, and two for the diff. The challenge now is whether the coolant system can keep up with all this. If you plan on tracking the car and drive agressively, you can probably forget about getting oil temps below 230 - 240F. The Porsche system won't allow it. Neither will it allow coolant temps below 200 on the track. These cars are designed to run hot and no amount of cooling is going to overcome that. Unless someone can crack the code but that doesn't seem likely. The best we can do is manage the temps so they don't exceed their upper parameters and cause the car to go into limp mode. Mine never has and I hope never will. I will know more this summer when the weather gets hot. My next step if necessary, will be to remove the AC condensers and perhaps one of the fans in order to improve air flow. If you don't track your car, I wouldn't worry about it.
FWIW
Old 04-28-2015, 09:41 AM
Boiler Inspector
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by PCA1983
At 83F ambient and 83 mph steady speed in 6th (top) gear, my 981 2014 Cayman S ran 194F water and 235F oil temp. [I]That oil temp seems high to me too[/I]. It can't have much of an oil/water intercooler. Is there a larger one available?
They told me my CS has a center radiator, but if it exists it appears to be blocked off, unlike my old 987 Boxster S.
Off the shelf oils are rated at 212F, so what happens to the oil's viscosity as the temperature goes up? Viscosity goes down. This is a major contributing factor to why there were so many track related failures with the M96/M97 engines. These cars, due to the location of the engine and relative lack of airflow around them, will run 230-240F oil temps going down the freeway!
Old 04-28-2015, 11:12 AM
91K-Man

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mantissport has a oil sump for the 9A1 engine, it adds 2 l more oil. With this sump an additional oil cooler can be added, We are workingon a kit, comes with electric oil punp and oilcooler with a fan. We expect a 20F drop in temps. Also designing a oil pan for the PDK trans, more oil. Diff oil cooler kit coming soon also.
Old 05-01-2015, 01:02 AM
gled
Instructor

The original front radiators center blocking duct is connected to the front bumper. When you install the Center 3rd radiator the new ducting is connected to the radiator. If you choose the CSF radiator a little creative duct attachment will be necessary.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:11 PM
gled
Instructor

Took the 981 to the track yesterday, similar ambient temps to previous track days last year, AND, with new 3rd radiator saw oil temps drop from 260*+ to 250*. Better but still want more. Going to start looking at factory bolt on heat exchangers. Gordon

Quick Reply: 981 Cayman S high oil temp