Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

toe links for spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2013, 02:14 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts
Default toe links for spyder?

so after dialling in -2.2 degrees of camber front and -2 degrees in the rear with RSS LCAs, I am thinking of toe-links for the rear.

The car does turn in better and sharpness is improved all round. The rear still doesn't feel as mobile as my old Cayman R which I think may be down to the thicker Cayman R anti-roll bar but I am also thinking of toe links.

can any of you gurus help out? The spyder feels sharp and stable at the moment but I wouldn't mind a more mobile rear end. Anything else I should be considering to upgrade the handling for track duty? Yes I know, I am still on PS2. It works for me and I'll be upgrading to MPSS soon but nothing too extreme. Thanks
Old 11-30-2013, 04:52 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts

I'm not running toe links or upgraded bar, so I can't help you. However, if you feel the spyder is sharp and stable at the moment, maybe it's best to leave it alone? A more mobile rear end might not be what you want? The stock suspension components are robust enough track duty, if that is what you are concerned about. The BRZ suspension could use some upgraded components because they are so soft, the car goes out of alignment after every track event. I've never had the spyder go out of alignment.
Old 11-30-2013, 06:43 PM
Hoopumpers
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't go MPSS. Yoko Advan AD08R is far better for track IMO, if you must run a street/non R compound.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:06 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

I actually don't want too aggressive rubber.

The curent grip and slip between the PS2 is just about right for me. The breakaway characteristics are benign and allows me to gather it up easily. I think I'll try the MPSS but the N2 PS2s are easily the best street tyre I have tried.

Joe, I hear you not to mess with it. That's why I did the LCAs first and wow, the turn-in transformation was great , much less understeer. and I was just after better tyre wear.......

But, I was wondering if an upgraded rear bar would be better and any of you guys have tried it? The toe-links are more to keep the toe in place. Good to know that it doesn't move out of alignment for you.
Old 12-01-2013, 03:04 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the toe links. I have them on all the Porsches - just because I don't trust the eccentric bolt to 'work'.

Whatever help they provided was not enough to hold alignment on the RS with its large, soft bushings that allow all kinds of movement. They seem to make no difference on the Boxster S or Cayman R.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:25 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

I heard that problem on the RS. Why is that so?

sorry but are you saying that for the boxster and cayman, the toe links are unnecessary?
Old 12-01-2013, 04:43 PM
stevecolletti
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi khooni,

The rear suspension bushings are large and of a very soft rubber. When I changed them out for monoballs (at 4,500 miles), I stuck the bolt back through them and could twist them in any direction, deforming the rubber. I've never been able to do that with even 100,000+ mile, dead bushings. You should not be able to do that by hand. Bushings need to support the loads through that corner of the suspension.
Petevb provided some explanation for w they are so soft in this thread - https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=68981

I'm not sure that the toe links are unnecessary on the boxster and cayman since in both cases I replaced relatively fresh suspension pieces with the RSS links, but I also never had a problem during the limited miles that those car had.

Quick Reply: toe links for spyder?