Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

BRZ vs. Spyder??

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 02:53 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Received 191 Likes on 94 Posts
Default BRZ vs. Spyder??

Hey guys,

I took delivery of my BRZ this week. So far, it's everything that the reviews say it is. I absolutely love the car, and I find it to be the perfect DD/street car for me.

Here are some pics:

Some thoughts come to mind when comparing this car to my spyder:

1) I think Chris Harris' thoughts are spot on. The 987 has everything the BRZ has, but it's just got more of everything.
2) The BRZ suspension is very nice for street use and is not quite as harsh as the spyder can sometimes be.
3) Why is it that a cheap car like the BRZ has deviated stitching EVERYWHERE, as a standard, no cost feature, but Porsche makes you pay for deviated stitching that isn't even complete?
4) The BRZ steering wheel ROCKS. Small diameter, thick wheel, great feel. I'm still confused why Porsche steering wheels are as big as a bus steering wheel.
5) The shifter. Short, precise, notchy, rifle bolt action. It feels very similar to the Porsche short shifter I was able to try on Steve's CR. I can see why you guys like this type of shifter, and I like it too. However, I still like the way my regular spyder shifter feels too.
6) The seats. Awesome. Better than I had imagined. Alcantara center inserts without having to pay Porsche 'elite' model prices. Better than the recaros in my old Evo. Not quite as comfortable and giggle inducing as the sport buckets, but great nonetheless
7) seating position. Spyder still feels better, but only by a small margin.
8) Engine. No comparison. No surprise. Other than the cool induction noise, the rest of the noises being made are bleh. Nothing like the pure music of a flat 6.
9) Power. Very little torque. I can't comment on top end power yet because the car isn't broken in, but I'm not expecting much.

This is a FUN car to drive, make no mistake. I'm lucky to own both cars.

A few 'tweaks' I made to the car:

Red STi push button:

JDM exhaust tips. Compare to USDM ones, which are horribly wimpy

Old 01-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Riz
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Congrats - nice car. I have driven the Scion version. I would get the BRZ just for that color. Did you pay MSRP?
Old 01-12-2013, 10:45 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Riz
Congrats - nice car. I have driven the Scion version. I would get the BRZ just for that color. Did you pay MSRP?
Thanks! Yes. MSRP.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If they made a spec racing class- I would be all over one of those.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:01 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 92 Likes on 60 Posts

3.5k and you can give it 280bhp with a super charger :-)
Old 01-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Nice Joe, Congrats!

I drove the BRZ a few months ago and I would say my personal experience was similar to your observations. The car I drove was broken in and the power was average, you definitely need to rev to keep it in the powerband but it won't be anywhere close to what you're used to. Considering the price it should be expected.

The handling is very well balanced. It's easy to kick out the rear and have some fun without dramatically breaking the law.

I debated about going for the BRZ but instead went the other direction and picked a comfy sedan with some power and handling thrown in the mix (C32 AMG).

Enjoy in good health and let us know what you think after you've owned it a few months.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:36 PM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

nice one. looks fab in blue.

must be great for the street and windy roads.

Trending Topics

Old 01-12-2013, 05:00 PM
mile2424
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like fun! Nice color and interior! Congrats!!! I haven't driven one yet but it would be fun to compare your observations!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:12 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Congrats and you chose the best color! Enjoy!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM
Plavan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
That's less than half a pair of Sport Buckets!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Plavan
If they made a spec racing class- I would be all over one of those.
I'm sure that's coming down the pipeline. A handful of my friends are considering getting one too. We may have our own DE spec class brewing. haha.

Originally Posted by mrd_spy
Stock power FTW. Not worth the headache. I've learned my lesson with the Evo. Those kits are good for street driving and 1/4 miles times, but my suspicions are that the heat generated won't hold up to track use. So far my suspicions have been correct:

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Nice Joe, Congrats!

I drove the BRZ a few months ago and I would say my personal experience was similar to your observations. The car I drove was broken in and the power was average, you definitely need to rev to keep it in the powerband but it won't be anywhere close to what you're used to. Considering the price it should be expected.

The handling is very well balanced. It's easy to kick out the rear and have some fun without dramatically breaking the law.

I debated about going for the BRZ but instead went the other direction and picked a comfy sedan with some power and handling thrown in the mix (C32 AMG).

Enjoy in good health and let us know what you think after you've owned it a few months.
Thanks, man. I did some experimenting today and learned that the traction control turns on very easily and quickly. Then I turned off the traction control and learned how easily the back end breaks away on this car. I'm looking forward to figuring this car out and having even more fun. I'll be taking the BRZ to a track day coming up soon.

Originally Posted by khooni
nice one. looks fab in blue.

must be great for the street and windy roads.
Thanks, WRB is the color to get for this car. Having a white and blue car seems to work well, eh?

Originally Posted by mile2424
Looks like fun! Nice color and interior! Congrats!!! I haven't driven one yet but it would be fun to compare your observations!
I'm telling you guys, the interior on the car is underrated. I actually think it's really nice. Deviated stitching and padded arm rests on the doors? I don't have that in my spyder...

Originally Posted by Dino V
Congrats and you chose the best color! Enjoy!
Will do, and thanks!

Originally Posted by Plavan
That's less than half a pair of Sport Buckets!
Old 01-12-2013, 06:15 PM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

How could I forget? I forgot to mention the brakes.

The pedal has short travel and has a firm endpoint, but it's not rock solid like an Evo or GT3. It still feels better than my GT3 master cylinder equipped PCCB spyder, though.

The interesting thing is that some people are still complaining that the BRZ pedal isn't firm enough and some aftermarket companies have developed braces for the master cylinder. Supposedly the motion from the firewall softens up the endpoint and these braces are supposed to mitigate that. It's an interesting concept and makes me wonder if it would be applicable to our 987s. I can easily figure that out by looking to see if there's any motion in the MC when I slam on the spyder brakes. I'll report back. There's definitely motion in the BRZ when I tested this. Below is the concept:

Old 01-12-2013, 08:21 PM
DaveN007
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you know, Joe, I have been looking at the FR-S as a Gloomsday Prepper car. LOL.

I was able to drive a broken in car pretty hard and the only disappointment was the stunning lack of power...but only compared to what you are used to in a Spyder/CR. Oh yes, the sound was awful.

But for the money...stunning.

The shifter was tough for me to fairly evaluate because someone stole the shifter **** from the car I drove. I think that speaks volumes about the target market for these cars. LMAO.

I would keep the engine stock. It is a momentum car. Get some decent tires and it will embarrass higher horsepower cars when driven well on the track.

I love the Subaru Blue...but mine will be white with black accents. Short of P O R S C H E written on the side, mine will look like my CR.

Congrats on the new addition.
Old 01-13-2013, 12:08 AM
orthojoe
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by DaveN007
As you know, Joe, I have been looking at the FR-S as a Gloomsday Prepper car. LOL.

I was able to drive a broken in car pretty hard and the only disappointment was the stunning lack of power...but only compared to what you are used to in a Spyder/CR. Oh yes, the sound was awful.

But for the money...stunning.

The shifter was tough for me to fairly evaluate because someone stole the shifter **** from the car I drove. I think that speaks volumes about the target market for these cars. LMAO.

I would keep the engine stock. It is a momentum car. Get some decent tires and it will embarrass higher horsepower cars when driven well on the track.

I love the Subaru Blue...but mine will be white with black accents. Short of P O R S C H E written on the side, mine will look like my CR.

Congrats on the new addition.
Thanks, Dave. To follow up on your comments:
1) I took the spyder for a spin today. The car never felt so fast before, and the engine never sounded so good. LOL
2) Yes, stock power is king. Maybe an exhaust, but just to cover up some of the engine noise. My only potential mods are track wheels/tires and a set of ohlins.
3) White was my second choice.
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Congrats, Joe. See, I knew you were getting a BRZ!!! Trying to confuse me!

Your BRZ looks great. LOVE that color. Looks like I'll be living vicariously through your posts.

Quick Reply: BRZ vs. Spyder??