Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spyder 981 vs 981 S-need help

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:56 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,349 Likes on 809 Posts

Originally Posted by bassie81

cost of ownership is in depreciation, not in price.
Exactly.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:10 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

You all think the total cost of ownership will be less over at least 3+ years on a 981 Spyder than a 981 S if driven the same amount of mileage given the 981 S has already depreciated so much? I have my doubts.
Old 01-01-2018, 05:53 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Depends on where you live, but in my case the Spyder was approximately 2.5x the property taxes of my ~$40k Cayman. About a $3k per year delta, which would diminish slowly over time. Insurance cost was also slightly higher. We can speculate about the depreciation on a Spyder vs a 2013 Boxster S. My guess is that the Spyder will depreciate somewhat more.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:52 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

KG11, just sent you a PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 10:08 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 36 Posts

Buy the Spyder. You won't know what you're missing out on unless you own one. The S/GTS does not "come close" - almost shocked to read this on the forum.

Why are you worried about depreciation? You'll probably keep it forever anyway. YMMV
Old 01-01-2018, 11:27 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by guab
You all think the total cost of ownership will be less over at least 3+ years on a 981 Spyder than a 981 S if driven the same amount of mileage given the 981 S has already depreciated so much? I have my doubts.
The difference is so negligible that you should just get what you want.
Old 01-02-2018, 12:00 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Your ship has come in. lol. I hope he gets it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2016-Porsch...RZsa9A&vxp=mtr
Old 01-04-2018, 04:13 AM
DannieK
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Go for the Spyder!! I previously owned a 2013 Boxster S with every option. Awesome car. However, I decided to sell it with approximately 3500 miles about about 2 years ago. There was no comparison to the Spyder. I bit the bullet and I'm so glad I did.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:20 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Kg11
My primary intentions are driving to work and enjoying on weekends.
Not trying to blaspheme the Spyder experience, so please withhold flames... but is it practical to daily-drive a car with a manual top process?

I daily-drive (work, gym, errands, etc.) and the top is up & down multiple times each day, all from the driver's seat with the simple flick of a switch. A power top seems likely to be kinda high on the list for daily usability, no?

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 01-04-2018, 01:14 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
Not trying to blaspheme the Spyder experience, so please withhold flames... but is it practical to daily-drive a car with a manual top process?

I daily-drive (work, gym, errands, etc.) and the top is up & down multiple times each day, all from the driver's seat with the simple flick of a switch. A power top seems likely to be kinda high on the list for daily usability, no?

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)

It's absolutely not practical if you want to drive often with the top down. It can work but I imagine it would get annoying over time depending on how frequently you want the top off (which would probably be frequently because why else would you buy a convertible?)

I am however jealous you get to drive a Boxster S everyday as a daily. That's the right car for that job, IMO.
Old 01-04-2018, 01:25 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 269 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
I am however jealous you get to drive a Boxster S everyday as a daily. That's the right car for that job, IMO.
It doesn't suck

Old 01-04-2018, 03:01 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm toying with selling my car, and have not tried to seriously market it. I purchased a new 2016 BS and took delivery of the car in January, 2016. It was very difficult to obtain an allocated build spot as Porsche AG was down to the last 6 allocations for a normally aspirated six cylinder Boxster S left for the USA, before the 718's came out. I just could not bring myself to buy the 718 with a four cylinder engine. I bought the car from Porsche of the Main Line, a large dealer in Newtown Square, PA that was able to get an allocated build spot for me. The car is equipped as follows:

It is a 2016 Boxster S in GT Silver (premium color)
FULL black leather interior (full seats, dash, door panels etc)
6 speed manual transmission
Roadster top is black
Colored Wheel crests
Bose Surround Sound
SiriusXM Satellite Radio
Porsche crest in headrest
Door sills in stainless steel
Porsche Dynamic Lighting System (PLDS)
PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management)
PSE (Sport Exhaust)
SportDesign Steering wheel
Power Sport Seats (14 way) with memory package
20" Carrera S wheels
Smoking package
Center console trim in brushed aluminum
Supplemental safety bars in Aluminum Look
Brushed Aluminum interior package
Premium Package (Sports seats, 14 way)

I added an Aluminum Fuel tank cap and clear corners to the car. The car was also originally ordered with pedals and footrest in aluminum, which I really didn't like, so had my dealer replace with stock rubber with aluminum surround pedals and footrest which I purchased new and really like more, then sold the aluminum pedals to a Spyder owner.

Of note, the car also had full XPEL treatment applied by the installers at the dealership before I picked up the car (hood, full front, front and rear fenders, rockers, mirrors), so it is completely protected.

Most importantly, please note that my car has 680 original miles, has always been garaged, and is wired for a battery tender which is connected when the car is not in use. It's not yet broken in and has never seen >4200 RPM. The car has NEVER sat in hot sun, nor has it ever been WET - I'm not talking about rain or snow, it has literally never been washed!! It has only been waxed or detailed using Meguiar's Ultimate liquid wax and Zymol Detailer. There are literally no flaws, scuffs, dings, scratches, or stone chips on the car - it is quite literally a brand new 2016 981S in every respect. An oil service has been done at my Porsche dealer, who also wired the battery to connect to the trickle charger. I am planning to have the oil changed and brakes bled in the Spring.

The car listed at $85,535 plus I paid an additional $3000 for the full XPEL treatment. Not only is the color combination unusual (GT Silver a $2580 option), but I ordered mine with PASM and PSE. With the 20" wheels and PASM, the ride is extremely firm, but not body punishing. Few 981S cars were ordered with x73 sport suspension, and I opted against it.

I believe that for the buyer who wants a very well equipped six cylinder Boxster S, this is likely the lowest mileage, finest example in the US. Personally, I like its simplicity more than the GTS, but that's personal taste. The Spyder is a very different car, no doubt. Given the car's list price of $88,535 plus tax, I would consider a reasonable sale price for the vehicle. There is no substitute for a normally aspirated Porsche six. GT Silver is an extraordinarily pure silver that just pops on this car. Personally, I can't see paying $100K or more for a new four cylinder Porsche, and used 981 Spyders are expensive. Porsche will be coming out with a 718 Spyder in a year or so and I imagine that car will run close to $120K well equipped. Let me know if you have any interest in my car, OR what you think it's truly worth in today's market. I have a figure in mind. Honestly, unless you can find a new 2016 at a dealership, I think this may be the nicest and newest normally aspirated six cylinder 981BS in the country.

Phil
Old 01-04-2018, 03:23 PM
tq.3z
Pro

The only people I've ever heard comment that used Spyders are expensive are the people who don't own them.

They have a way of changing your mind about value from the drivers seat.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:30 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Get the S, put fabspeed race headers and prospeed tune on it for about 350hp. Keeps the functionality of your PSE, no drone, and absolutely RIPS when you open it up. If you decide later you have to have a Spyder, you won't loose much money but will remember the smiles.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:46 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
That was the most important question for me. The top on my 981S is up and down constantly, so it comes down to pushing a button or going through the steps required to close the Spyder's top. Moreover, there are many overcast days when I drive with the top down. If it starts to rain I simply slow down and depress the button and the top is fully retracted in less than 20 seconds. BTW if the Spyder had a power top, I would have bought one in a hear beat, regardless of the premium.

Quick Reply: Spyder 981 vs 981 S-need help