Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum flakes in oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
As a friend of a direct company representative I lol at the faith this board places in the mighty CPO, you think it was an inoculation against any problems, it's not..
Amen, brother.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:58 AM
Mika23
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alan C.
Do you know how many times the oil has been changed. It's possible the oil has only been changed once. Are there any service records?

If they looked at the filter was that part of an oil change? If not change the oil now and put in one of the factory approved oils along with a filter. If you have time get an oil sample and send it to Blackstone before you buy the car. Either way you'll have a baseline for the future.
That (oil change) is indeed what I am going to do. I think the oil has only been changed once. There are service records on the carfax from the local dealer which show the car has been maintained as it should have been. Sadly dealers do not stamp the booklet for maintenance so i cannot see what was done exactly.
Old 12-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

At 23,000 miles you’re well past the break in period of this motor.
I have heard/read that the DFI motors are susceptible to engine damage if the previous owner did not wait for the engine to warm up and just took off shortly after starting a cold engine. I would be extremely careful with the purchase as what you’re seeing now could be the result of abuse.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:26 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 607 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Mika23
Hi all, new here and in the process of buying a 2014 cayman s. The car went through PPI today and they found some aluminum flakes in the oil filter. The car currently has 23,000 miles. Is this still considered normal?
I've never seen more than 1 or 2 flakes that size in any oil change I've done in my cars with 9A1 engines, both 981s, and I usually don't see any even 1/2 the size of those flakes. I assume the oil has been changed before 23,000 miles? Unlikely it has gone that long without a change, but if 23,000 is the first, the break-in can produce some flakes like these. But I don't think as many as you see in your filter. There are other things besides aluminum that can produce flakes such as coatings on the piston skirts, chain tensioner material, etc. I always do used oil analysis and everything has always looked much better than averages for all 9A1 DFI engines at Blackstone Labs. I also use a magnetic drain plug, and never see anything but a little bit of grey powder.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:36 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a strong magnetic drain plug as well, since the company thought it belonged on the 944, I've put one on every Porsche I have owned since. Like you (and Sgt Schultz) I SEE NOTHING.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:22 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I didn't see any 'flakes' on that photo, but if there were any, just keep looking man. Too many for sale to focus on a car that could be trouble in the future. That's also why I MUCH prefer to buy from an original owner. With dealer cars, you never know why they were unloaded, plus you rarely get any service history, since all owners remove any documentation with their name on it. Plus they've probably been abused by who knows how many people before you. Somebody selling his car privately would be extremely unlikely to lie or hide any issues with his car, it'd be safely pampered inside a garage, and never abused by elements or any driver. If car had any issues, owner would just trade it in and avoid any potential liability, so you never know what you're getting. And if car is not CPO, then there's absolutely no reason why not buy from an original owner instead. To me would be very important to have the entire history of the car, and be able to contact the owner for any questions. I always make myself available in those cases. Good luck.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:32 PM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t see anything abnormal in that photo. I do see what they are talking about and that seems to be well within the realm of normal from my experience. I do all my own oil changes. So I have seen a couple filters in my day and a random aluminum flake here and there is normal.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:50 AM
Richland
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had metal flakes in my oil after the first change. Nothing to worry about, especially if they are aluminum. If you're really worried get a compression test and have the oil analyzed, it's only $25 from Blackstone.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:11 AM
Mika23
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone who replied. I passed by the dealer here on Sunday and had an oil change and their inspection performed. I mentioned the flakes to the service guy and he said that was nothing to worry about. He said he would worry more if those were not in there. Not sure how much I can believe him Also based on the old oil that was taken out there was nothing abnormal. With the fresh oil and filter in, I will check again in 1000mls and see how it looks then.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:29 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Perhaps there is nothing to worry about, however, if he truly said he'd worry more with the absence of any particles that sounds to me like a marketing statement.

Quick Reply: Aluminum flakes in oil filter