Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EVO Tests Alpine a110 - says better than 718

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 09:19 PM
MrMoose
Burning Brakes

Received 321 Likes on 227 Posts

It’s effing gorgeous and a great throwback to the classic A110. So bummed they won’t be selling it in the US.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:22 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

Very cool car and refreshing to see a light, mid-engine car in this day and age...

But no manual transmission. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back... but I guess that's the market these days. I fell for a dual-clutch once- thought it's what I wanted being quicker around a track and less of a pain in traffic. Never again, for me at least. I need a manual to feel like I'm driving a sports car.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:50 PM
drabe
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like it. I like the Evora 430 too. Maybe that one will come to North America
Old 12-13-2017, 05:58 AM
randr
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks great, mid/rear-engined, light-weight - will be a riot to drive. Whats not to like?
Old 12-14-2017, 06:47 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by manifold danger
Very cool car and refreshing to see a light, mid-engine car in this day and age...

But no manual transmission. 2 steps forward, 3 steps back... but I guess that's the market these days. I fell for a dual-clutch once- thought it's what I wanted being quicker around a track and less of a pain in traffic. Never again, for me at least. I need a manual to feel like I'm driving a sports car.
Just based on the info at hand, that's a bit harsh IMO. I would easily accept "3 steps forward and 1 step back" and would consider "3 steps forward and 2 steps back". But I also realize that everyone is different, and for some, one detail can make or break a car. And consider that, while you've (apparently) never driven an "automatic" that "did it" for you, unless/until you drive this one, it's all speculation as to how it works.

OTOH, I do know what you mean. I drove a couple PDK rentals this summer and thought they were spectacular. And when I bought my 2006 I felt like I would be giving something up with the 6M. But after driving it even for only the 500 miles or so I did, I am appreciating the manual more and more. In fact I'm now thinking I'd buy any P/U if they offered it with a decent V8 and an MT.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:51 PM
jmh981
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The french have a way of taking a perfectly sound design and just adding enough ''gallic character'' to really kill the shape / form of the car...
Old 12-14-2017, 07:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
My initial thought was it looks like a 90’s Celica crossed with a modern day Alfa.
Exactly. May be fun to drive but it looks god awful and I'd be embarrassed to be seen in one.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I'm 100% sure nobody will be scanning the quarter panels for this
Old 12-14-2017, 11:00 PM
sunset gun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many points for low weight
Minus more points for the "styling".
When I was very very young, Dad bought a Renault 4CV, perhaps the essence of Gallic quirkiness. The "styling" was, well, humble, in a French cartoon way. That car was VERY French, great fun, and surprisingly reliable. There was nothing in the US like it. I am by no means a Francophile, but I do find the French nation to be, in all regards, completely unpredictable. This new A110 is just the most recent proof.

And good God is it ugly.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:14 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by jmh981
The french have a way of taking a perfectly sound design and just adding enough ''gallic character'' to really kill the shape / form of the car...
Funny isn't it?
French and now the Japanese both have great food but car design currently is questionable, with the Japanese currently ahead on ugly, although the Alpine looks "lumpy" to me.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:00 PM
Viffermike
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some notes in response to some posters, then my own take:

- That it weighs so little is precisely why it's not coming to the U.S. A U.S.-spec version of this car would likely weigh 100-200 pounds more -- not to mention cost a ton to certify by the EPA/NTHSA/CARB. Since this is a big risk only half taken by Renault (Caterham -- yes the British specialty car builder -- owns the other half of Alpine now), the potential market in this country is so small (see Alfa 4C), and building a French brand's cache and rep would be a multiyear undertaking (see Alfa 4C again, as well as Renault itself), there is zero chance we'll see it in North America.

- I, too, am turned off by the French-flag moniker. I work in fashion retail, and the French have the most petulant, backward, and elitist attitudes toward protecting their brands by far. Quirky doesn't excuse either laziness or a superiority complex ... thing is, if the A110 is as good as they say it is, then that it's French only half matters, anyway, since Caterham is involved. It's like a Lotus with a Toyota engine: The car's nationalistic cache is much more about branding than anything else.

- Thanks to the posters who put the car's design in context with the original A110. No, it's not Cayman-sleek ... but neither is an Evora, right?

- To the posters who thought the original A110 is ugly: First off, the car is not from the 1970s; it is from the 1960s. People, we're talking about a car that was launched in 1961 -- 57 years ago -- and pre-dated the Ferrari Dino (and the 275, for that matter) and the Porsche 911. For its time, the A110 was stunning, and the design influence of the car cannot be overstated. It was the car that won the first-ever WRC and was THE standard for rally racing until the mid-1970s.

OK, all that said ... No, the new A110 is not the sexiest car in its class. But it is positioned as a combination of a return to roots and a forward-thinking, stylish two-seat coupe in an age when the market for them is shrinking, even in Europe. It is auto-only because, well, the market for manuals is shrinking, even in Europe (Is there an echo?). It has a turbo 4 because, well, the market for larger engines in this kind of car is shrinking, even in Europe. See the pattern? It's all about multi-year viability for a limited-market car. Even in Europe.
Old 12-15-2017, 01:19 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Just for perspective, 1960's era Ferrari, I know which one I think looks better.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-show...ta-scaglietti/
Old 12-15-2017, 04:16 PM
sunset gun
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

must agree with Viffermike re: 1961 A110. A timeless beauty. The new A110 designers were obviously not allowed to see the original.
Old 12-15-2017, 04:55 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

My dad told me this was once a venerable automobile, frankly maybe Paul Crewe improved it on the way to prison. I wonder if Maserati face palmed when they saw the final result. PS It beat out the 911 for car of the year, yeah no thanks.

http://www.imcdb.org/vehicle_10276-Citroen-SM-1972.htm
Old 12-16-2017, 02:13 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
Moi, je l’aime.
Moi aussi.

Quick Reply: EVO Tests Alpine a110 - says better than 718