Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Placed my Order today! What do you think of my 718 Build?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 02:57 PM
kramdavie
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Placed my Order today! What do you think of my 718 Build?

I work at a Porsche dealership, so I get to drive all the latest cars regularly. Even so, I am not one bit jaded. I still have a blast getting in to any of our sports cars. Today is a special day because I ordered my very own. I'll be leasing a 2018 718 Boxster. I believe it's a rather unique build and most likely will be one-of-a-kind. Especially with the Mahogany shift lever and Miami Blue seat belts.

Any thoughts?

Old 09-15-2017, 03:09 PM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

This will be a sweet ride! I guess this is the blue that looks like grey color? Seems popular these days.

Enjoy!
Old 09-15-2017, 03:14 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Last edited by 81911; 01-22-2018 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:56 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911
From one Ambassador to another, drop the belts and wood shifter. Neither tie in anywhere. Just my two cents.
Couldn't agree more, particularly those belts, but it's your car! And it's a lease, so you don't have to worry about resale.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:03 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by 81911
From one Ambassador to another, drop the belts and wood shifter. Neither tie in anywhere. Just my two cents.
Agree. But the rest looks great, and if you feel those options that's why Porsche lets us build every detail to our own spec.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:10 PM
shake1
Racer

Received 79 Likes on 52 Posts

I'd also drop the belts (so you don't have 4 different blues going on) and wood. I'd spring for 20" wheels...I think it would dramatically improve the looks.

The graphite and that interior will already look unique.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto on the belts and shifter. if you want the seat belts to pop, red might work better. My $.02
Old 09-15-2017, 08:37 PM
kramdavie
7th Gear

I hear you - the Miami Blue seat belts just intrigued me because they start being available for my production month.. and I feel that several shades of blue can work together - I imagine myself driving this car in a white t-shirt by the beach, and those bright blue belts are just too unique to pass up for me. In regards to the shifter, I was originally going to do brushed aluminum. The reason is because the leather boot is black with the standard shifter, but blue leather if you get the aluminum, carbonfiber, or wood lever. So I definitely want the blue boot, but the brushed aluminum was clearly different than the Galvano Silver used for the interior trim pieces, and so figured wood would be an interesting choice, and homage to the Carrera GT!!
Old 09-15-2017, 08:52 PM
wanderingwheelz
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shake1
I'd also drop the belts (so you don't have 4 different blues going on) and wood. I'd spring for 20" wheels...I think it would dramatically improve the looks.

The graphite and that interior will already look unique.

I agree. A car that's checked that many boxes that are purely for asthetics ought to have 20" wheels. And I also concur that the belts and the **** may be a bit much.
Old 09-16-2017, 01:59 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by kramdavie
I hear you - the Miami Blue seat belts just intrigued me because they start being available for my production month.. and I feel that several shades of blue can work together - I imagine myself driving this car in a white t-shirt by the beach,
If this is your intended use, are you sure you want to go Graphite Blue? Miami Blue has that bright pop like a beach color. GBM is exactly the opposite.

And I agree with the others, the car screams for different wheels. But again, this is your car, what you like.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:23 PM
duegatti
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Reading this with great interest. I've put a lot of effort into getting the Graphite Blue/Chalk Sport Tex interior to work with a Miami Blue Boxster. So far, I don't think I've succeeded.

I floated this type of build as an introductory post on another forum, and it pretty much got ripped. Criticism claimed that the blues would clash, and/or the interior blue would ruin the appearance of the Miami Blue exterior. What's funny is there seems to be a lot of Cayman's out there with this combo, but I've not found an example of a Boxster.

I'm not wild about Graphite Blue, but I felt the combination went together very well. The thing that I liked the least was the steering wheel.

I had configured it with a GT Multi Function wheel, and in that case, the center horn pad is black; only the rim is Graphite Blue. Too many different colors right in my face. In kramdavie's build, he's got the standard Multi Function wheel, and the center pad is Graphite Blue. Much better to my eye.

In addition, the standard wheel has a silver frame with black "cutouts". The multi function controls blend into this with less discord, if you will. With the GT wheel, the frame is black (so that even if you got a Graphite Blue horn pad, you'd still be looking at some black), and the "cutouts" are silver - in this case, the Multi Function controls stick out more.

When I build it with kramdavie's steering wheel, I like it a lot more. But since this is a purchase, and Miami Blue is "out there", I don't want to do anything stupid. I sure wasn't ready to have the color combo panned. I've got a back up build with Black/Chalk (I don't want a solid black or dark interior), but the Graphite Blue/Chalk keeps tugging at me.

Oh, and if you want to go for it like kramdavie has, and I am struggling to do, I also recommend the Carrera Classic 20 inchers.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:44 PM
kwikit356
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 65 Posts

I think the car looks fantastic, but I too would ditch the Miami Blue seatbelts. I like your thinking about the wood on the shifter. I would definitely not go for the 20" wheels, no matter how good they will look- the 19's will be harsh enough. We all love different things and styles. Love seeing the six-speed MT!
Old 09-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Car Dork
Instructor

Normally wouldn't ask but given that you're a salesperson at a dealer, would you be willing to share what the lease terms look like on a car like this? It's MSRP'd/options almost exactly how I'd do it (different color combo but yours is awesome and unique!)
Old 09-16-2017, 09:15 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Sorry shifter, and seatbelts to look odd. However it's your car so what works for you.
Old 09-16-2017, 09:20 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I'd go with silver seat belts and keep the wood shifter.

Quick Reply: Placed my Order today! What do you think of my 718 Build?