Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me choose - Cayman R or GTS?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2017, 05:20 PM
appear
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help me choose - Cayman R or GTS?

Hi

Based on these facts about my situation, what would you guys do?

- I will almost exclusively use the car for track. I have a 993 for regular roads.
- I much prefer the look of the 981 generation. I don't dislike the front or interior of the 987, but the rear and the "small" R wing doesn't move me.
- First and foremost I prefer a track-setup car. So a raw and racing oriented car is more important than looks.
- I do like the bucket-seats and that stuff in the R. The GTS looks a bit more DD'ish inside.
- The price diff. between the R and the GTS is not a deciding factor
- 997 GT3 is out of reach, particularly because I want a PDK and the 991 PDK is way out of reach
- 997.2 S PDK is not out of reach, but I believe the Cayman R will be more fun than the 2S and the R will feel more like a track-car.
- Also, it seems the R's in europe are holding their value better than the GTS. Maybe to early to tell.

Go for the R, or the GTS?

Thanks!

Last edited by appear; 06-30-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2017, 07:11 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

make a plan C
Old 06-30-2017, 07:30 PM
Marvinta
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

R's are at least 10-15% cheaper here in the states. Personally I would get the R but I have to ask, have you driven both?
Old 06-30-2017, 08:23 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

I have same setup. 993 and cayman R mostly for track.

Its a great car - i can not imagine the GTS being any better. However, In the end i think the R is still too great an all round car to just use a few weekends at the track. And if it is strictly for the track why not convert it to a track car with all the safety equipment and less weight. As i get more track experience safety has become more important to me. So back to thinking i should sell it and get a simpler already track prepped cayman or convert my R which is too costly.

My advice is figure out how youll use it and how dedicated to the track it will be. Then focus on how you will make it as safe as possible.

B
Old 07-01-2017, 02:34 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 726 Likes on 397 Posts

I've owned both. For what you want, I'd pick the Cayman R.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:37 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the awesome advice.

Re. making a plan C, I have been looking at getting just a 987S and then modding it, however the numbers I reached where around the cost of a Cayman R and the resale would probably much worse than a well maintained R.

For a minute I was looking at:
http://www.pancross.jp/bodykit/pande...wide-body-kit/

(flamesuit ON)

I have also looked at Lotus cars, but here in Denmark the Lotus scene (repairshops) is relatively limited.

If I get hooked on tracking the car I am sure I will eventually save up to a GT3, so I see this first track-focused car as a way of getting into it and giving it a real shot. First thing I will do is get a some time with a track instructor.

I like that the R is also a decent road-car as a big part of my plan is to drive around Europe and visit some of my bucket list tracks - Spa, Mugello, Monza ect..

Okay, going to see a Cayman R on monday. I hope I will connect with it so I can finally put the gt3 thoughts to rest.

Thanks again!
Old 07-01-2017, 08:55 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 287 Posts

I would go for Cayman R. At least in part for the sport bucket seats. Add a roll bar/ harness bar and Schroth 6 pt harness (+ hans of course). With those seats you can keep the 3 pt belts/ airbags for driving to/from the track. It's a great platform to learn on. In time though you will need some modifications to the suspension to align with more neg camber to improve tire wear. Going to GT3 control arms +shims in front is common. GTS is a little faster, more comfortable for the road. A friend has one with X-73 and he got a reasonable track alignment with stock parts.

Don't be in a rush for a GT3. Centerlocks are a pain and tires/brakes are expensive. Tires twice as much, a set of front rotors 3 times, etc.
Old 07-01-2017, 12:18 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get the R if you can.
it is a fun car to run and the cost are cheap.
Old 07-01-2017, 05:43 PM
Seneca035
Rennlist Member

I vote R
Old 07-06-2017, 08:06 AM
appear
Rennlist Member

Thank you!!

I decided to go for the R and I'm now chasing the perfect spec.

Initially I was looking for a white car, but having spent some time looking at the R models the slime-kermit green is growing on me.

Whats your opinion - is the car more or less attractive with the unique signature R color?

The one I am looking at is 10 grand more expensive but has also driven 20.000 km less, has Navi and most importantly Ceramic brakes which I think is a huge plus for a track-focused car.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:42 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,277 Likes on 590 Posts

Peridot Green 100%. It is FANTASTIC and so unique.
Old 07-06-2017, 09:58 AM
zedcat
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by appear
Thank you!!

I decided to go for the R and I'm now chasing the perfect spec.

Initially I was looking for a white car, but having spent some time looking at the R models the slime-kermit green is growing on me.

Whats your opinion - is the car more or less attractive with the unique signature R color?

The one I am looking at is 10 grand more expensive but has also driven 20.000 km less, has Navi and most importantly Ceramic brakes which I think is a huge plus for a track-focused car.
On the ceramic brakes- PCCB, suggest research them first. Cost of replacement rotors is very high (20k USD). For that reason most track guys prefer cast iron brakes.
Old 07-06-2017, 12:52 PM
C-gt3
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

take the ceramics off and put em on the shelf if you are tracking.
convert to steel.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:35 AM
MMMMalex
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was going to mention hydraulc steering in the R vs electronic in the GTS but nvm!

Quick Reply: Help me choose - Cayman R or GTS?