Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this car for 42K

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 08:40 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should I buy this car for 42K

Cayman Base - with 19 inch wheels and convenience package.
Out of warranty as on June 1st
2014 Model but purchased in 2013
Manual Transmission
29k miles
Last owner put ~1K miles - Rich Guy, has a fleet of cars, this one is parked in his vacation home. He would not even wash or dust off the car before showing it to me.

There are few minor paint dings barely visible on the from bumper from rock chips - one scratch on the side of the from bumper took the top layer off but since the under coat of paint is still there, it's not visible.

I test drove the car and drives like a champ. The owner thought the car was under warranty, but I just checked and it is not. I should get it mechanically inspected but will do that when they accept the offer of 42k - it's listed for more.

So would you bite the bullet for 42k?
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 PM
Jscaramella
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a nice car. The only issue is that you would likely find that price at a Porsche
Dealer and get a CPO. Mind you, not sure where you live but I've been looking US wide to get a comparison on pricing. Of course options play a big part in price. Maybe factor the non warranty in your offer. Best of luck.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:46 PM
TMc993
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by Jscaramella
The only issue is that you would likely find that price at a Porsche Dealer and get a CPO.
+1 That price is very close to a CPO price and there's something to be said for a warranty.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:55 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

I am in California and I have been looking for months now - I have seen some in the 43/44k range usually with ugly color combos. The inventory at my local dealers have a few more options but they are listed at 49/46k now.

I am considering offering 40k, but don't want to **** off the guy ... just yet
Old 06-15-2017, 02:19 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just a data point, but I bought a '11 "S" with 18" wheels, bone stock with around 32K miles for $22K. Maybe I just lucked out. I did find a dent in the bottom of the front trunk though. Still it came with a brand new set of spare Michellin Cup tires, so that made up for it.
Old 06-15-2017, 08:17 AM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by rusnak
Just a data point, but I bought a '11 "S" with 18" wheels, bone stock with around 32K miles for $22K. Maybe I just lucked out. I did find a dent in the bottom of the front trunk though. Still it came with a brand new set of spare Michellin Cup tires, so that made up for it.
22k! ... that sounds like a great deal.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:03 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by needaporsche
22k! ... that sounds like a great deal.
Yeah, the seller was from out of the country, and the window was closing fast. I guess if the resale value drops like a rock, it won't really bother me.
Attached Images  
Old 06-15-2017, 05:33 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Yeah, the seller was from out of the country, and the window was closing fast. I guess if the resale value drops like a rock, it won't really bother me.
Woah ... that looks awesome. Yeah, unfortunately the car I was looking at is gone as of this morning
Old 06-16-2017, 12:15 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

Manual Transmission
29k miles
Last owner put ~1K miles - Rich Guy, has a fleet of cars, this one is parked in his vacation home. He would not even wash or dust off the car before showing it to me.

There are few minor paint dings barely visible on the from bumper from rock chips - one scratch on the side of the from bumper took the top layer off but since the under coat of paint is still there, it's not visible.

I test drove the car and drives like a champ. The owner thought the car was under warranty, but I just checked and it is not. I should get it mechanically inspected but will do that when they accept the offer of 42k - it's listed for more.

I found a red 2015 Cayman base for sale (asking price) of $49K at Michael Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek CA. (As an aside I think one could get the car for less than the asking price but I'm not sure by how much. Back in 2009 I bought a used 2003 Turbo with an asking price of $62K for $57.7K from a Fremont CA dealer. Car had just 10K miles and a CPO warranty.)

Here's a link to the car:

http://michaelsteadporsche2014.vinma...px?id=44084555

Car is equipped with a PDK and comes with a CPO warranty that runs until Feb 2021 or 100K miles. Oh the car has just under 10K miles.
Old 06-17-2017, 12:48 PM
needaporsche
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Macster
I found a red 2015 Cayman base for sale (asking price) of $49K at Michael Stead Porsche in Walnut Creek CA. (As an aside I think one could get the car for less than the asking price but I'm not sure by how much. Back in 2009 I bought a used 2003 Turbo with an asking price of $62K for $57.7K from a Fremont CA dealer. Car had just 10K miles and a CPO warranty.)

Here's a link to the car:

http://michaelsteadporsche2014.vinma...px?id=44084555

Car is equipped with a PDK and comes with a CPO warranty that runs until Feb 2021 or 100K miles. Oh the car has just under 10K miles.
Thanks. There are a few options in the area for that price but Red is usually not my color. There are a few white ones i'll look at this weekend.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:01 PM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Manual Transmission
29k miles

I don't think that sounds out of line -- probably considered fair.

I just purchased a 2014 (2.7) with manual and 19s with 65k miles for 35k. The thing is with mine it looks new... don't know how the one owner put 65k miles on it and kept it in the condition it is... looks new... seriously. The Porsche dealer looked it over, it had "6" stage one ignitions so I snapped it up thinking the guy just commuted a long way in a suit.
Old 07-10-2017, 02:21 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

That is a great buy - congratulations. I looked for a similar 2014 base in a manual, but all of the local ones (300 mile radius) were in the $48K - $52K with CPO. Sounds like you got a gem at a great price.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:14 AM
Hoosier_Daddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by bgsntth
That is a great buy - congratulations. I looked for a similar 2014 base in a manual, but all of the local ones (300 mile radius) were in the $48K - $52K with CPO. Sounds like you got a gem at a great price.
Thanks... there was some luck as it had been at the dealer for 3 weeks and was bumping up against the end of the month and Fourth of July Holiday all at once. I guess sometimes stuff just has to move... Plus - I was patient with my offer for like the first time ever, in my life. Still doesn't make up for all the times I let emotion rule the deal... not even close.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:06 PM
sugarwood
Pro

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

That's not a data point. It's a steal.
A base Cayman with higher miles is still a $26k car.
Your car is probably in the $30s, easy.

Quick Reply: Should I buy this car for 42K