Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman S in Winter/Snow??

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 05:32 PM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by mbsl98
I don't like to use car washes, so I installed a hot/cold mixing faucet in my basement next to exterior bulkhead, which is conveniently next to my driveway. I keep a hose coiled up at the faucet and just run it out for washing car and full underbody. If I use pretty hot water, I can wash it well down into teen temperatures.. Bigger jobs get a power washer fed by that hot water hose. Since everything goes back into the basement when done there is no risk of freezing any of the plumbing/washer. Never have to wait in line at the car wash either. Install in an unfinished basement is really a small project.
Originally Posted by Dave in Chicago
I bite the bullet and take it to a local hand-wash / detailer every so often. Wish I had a heated garage with a drain in the floor.
I have a garage with a hose and drain, but won't an automatic garage do a better job of getting underneath?
Old 12-11-2016, 06:08 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by ToasterThief
I have a garage with a hose and drain, but won't an automatic garage do a better job of getting underneath?
With a garden hose (attached to a high pressure, adjustable gun), you can cover every nook and corner of the under-body much better than the fixed-points nozzles of the automatic car washes. You can also control the length of wash at a particular location. The wheel wells and wheels themselves need hosing. Automatic washes may not be able to do those areas. Of course, you can also avoid the known pitfalls associated with automatic washes. Also, if you manage to have a wash-system at your house/property/apartment, you will wash more often (as you need to, given the salt/chemical applications) than if you have to go some place to do.

Washing the under-body frequently (couple of times a week, if you are obsessed as I am), can't be over-stated. If your garage is heated, it will accelerate the deterioration, as others have noted. I have been driving the S2000 in Minnesota winter for the past ten years or so. There is no rust anywhere except the suspension A-arms. I was told that's pretty common, regardless of winter driving or not. I had a single instance of a wheel developing very little rust causing a slow leak. I run Nokian R2s on OEM aluminum rims. Aluminum is known to be a problem with salt. So, a single instance on a single rim in ten years is a pretty good running. I credit that to my obsessive washing!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:00 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 173 Posts

7" of snow here and no problems. I may drop the top just to get more funny looks ;-)

Old 12-12-2016, 08:35 AM
ToasterThief
Rennlist Member

Received 187 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
With a garden hose (attached to a high pressure, adjustable gun), you can cover every nook and corner of the under-body much better than the fixed-points nozzles of the automatic car washes. You can also control the length of wash at a particular location. The wheel wells and wheels themselves need hosing. Automatic washes may not be able to do those areas. Of course, you can also avoid the known pitfalls associated with automatic washes. Also, if you manage to have a wash-system at your house/property/apartment, you will wash more often (as you need to, given the salt/chemical applications) than if you have to go some place to do.

Washing the under-body frequently (couple of times a week, if you are obsessed as I am), can't be over-stated. If your garage is heated, it will accelerate the deterioration, as others have noted. I have been driving the S2000 in Minnesota winter for the past ten years or so. There is no rust anywhere except the suspension A-arms. I was told that's pretty common, regardless of winter driving or not. I had a single instance of a wheel developing very little rust causing a slow leak. I run Nokian R2s on OEM aluminum rims. Aluminum is known to be a problem with salt. So, a single instance on a single rim in ten years is a pretty good running. I credit that to my obsessive washing!
Thanks for this fantastic post! You made me feel much better about doing it all myself. Now, I waxed my car with collinite 845 wax a few weeks ago. We just got our first serious snow last night. I was planning on washing it with Meguiar's car wash. How often should I reapply the wax?
Old 12-12-2016, 12:09 PM
mbsl98
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Collinite on my boat kept in salt water all season lasts the full season, so I am sure it will protect the car's paint all winter without a problem. Afer that it is more a cosmetics question. Probably pretty good for up to a full year, but easy enough to do it more often when the weather is nice.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:39 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

7 degrees Fahrenheit when I got back to Chicago yesterday. You guessed it. Faithful Boxster duty. Great car in the cold too.

Dave in Chicago
'05 987S Arctic Silver (that's appropriate) over Blue
'92 968 Midnight Blue (SP3)
Old 12-17-2016, 04:49 PM
white924s
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

My winter wheels/tires are going on the Cayman tomorrow. I just got new tools from Harbor Freight to do the job - guess Christmas is starting a little early here!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:37 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

BTW - Ran the car up to Milwaukee for a fabulous dinner party with a bunch of track friends and spouses. Car sat all night in 0 degree F temps... could not have started faster. Makes great heat, top is insulated, heated seats, I could go on.

Great winter cars when you need them to be.

Dave in Chicago
Old 01-08-2017, 06:46 PM
JAMESEY271975
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well just to update on this. I've been driving around snowy Salt Lake City for the past two months in this car. And it's been absolutely flawless. This is been one of the worst winters I have experience here in about 12 years. I'm on 20" Pirelli Sottozero.

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman S in Winter/Snow??