Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Boxster Spyder - pricing ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2016 | 08:33 AM
vintage356
Banned

Originally Posted by unotaz
Not even for a 911R huh? Wow!

J/K, I love my Spyder just as much!
I would add that anybody who owns a gt3 or gt3 rs and has driven or bought a spyder enjoys driving the spyder much more and ends up ditching the gt3/rs and I know 7 people with both spyder and gt4 who prefer the spyder. The gt3/gt3rs will be replaced with just a newer better version not clear that will be the case w/ the spyder.
Old 09-30-2016 | 09:16 AM
jvmax
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vintage356
I would add that anybody who owns a gt3 or gt3 rs and has driven or bought a spyder enjoys driving the spyder much more and ends up ditching the gt3/rs and I know 7 people with both spyder and gt4 who prefer the spyder. The gt3/gt3rs will be replaced with just a newer better version not clear that will be the case w/ the spyder.
didn't I read somewhere that porsche plans on future versions of gt4 and spyder?
Old 09-30-2016 | 11:36 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I would add that anybody who owns a gt3 or gt3 rs and has driven or bought a spyder enjoys driving the spyder much more and ends up ditching the gt3/rs ...
They're entirely different cars with different purposes. Anybody who replaced a GT3/RS with a Spyder, bought the former for the wrong reason.
Old 09-30-2016 | 03:22 PM
vintage356
Banned

Originally Posted by Archimedes
They're entirely different cars with different purposes. Anybody who replaced a GT3/RS with a Spyder, bought the former for the wrong reason.
I agree w/ you 100% but that is reality that many people buy gt3/gt3rs and don't track them ...
Old 09-30-2016 | 07:18 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Uh....I'm not so sure about that. The Spyder is great, but it's not on the same level as the RS. The engine itself alone separates the RS from the rest of the field. If I had to choose between the RS and the Spyder, I would always choose the RS. Between the R and the RS, I would choose the R hands down. Luckily, I don't need to and I have them both!

The real difficult question would between the GT4 and the Spyder, which one would you choose if you could only choose one?
Old 09-30-2016 | 07:19 PM
unotaz
Drifting

Originally Posted by jvmax
didn't I read somewhere that porsche plans on future versions of gt4 and spyder?
You are correct. Why wouldn't they keep making future version of the Spyder and the GT4? Anyone who thinks they won't is clearly smoking something else!
Old 09-30-2016 | 07:27 PM
unotaz
Drifting

I agree w/ you 100% but that is reality that many people buy gt3/gt3rs and don't track them ...
Who needs a track? This was the 3rd day after delivery of my RS on the canyons!
Attached Images  
Old 09-30-2016 | 11:55 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

You are correct. Why wouldn't they keep making future version of the Spyder and the GT4? Anyone who thinks they won't is clearly smoking something else!
No one here thinks it's the Last Spyder. There will be others but those will be other-others if you know what I mean lol. In other words, they will be different. Again, we live in a pivotal time IMHO which is why I think this car is special. I'm sure I'm wrong but who knows. I'm not selling and don't plan to if I can help it. It will be a car I pass down.
Old 10-01-2016 | 03:31 AM
Underblu
Banned

I'm a big Spyder fan and I completely agree with what you say. However, the GT3 acceleration is truly mind blowing. With the SPDK, the big flat 6 pulls like a 12. No matter how quickly you can row through gears. the MT Spyder with it's long *** ratios you can't really get that catapult thing the GT3's got going for it.

I mean I have to admit, the latest GT3 is a super car. It along with the 911r and RS are some the most amazing NA 911s you can drive. But still the 981 Spyder is special. If Porsche set up the gear ratios properly and didn't purposefully detune the engine the Spyder and GT4 would be in the mid 3s 0-60 and take the quarter mile in under 12. As it stands the Soyder is all things considered the most amazing Porsche I've had the pleasure of owning
Old 10-01-2016 | 05:01 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
No one here thinks it's the Last Spyder. There will be others but those will be other-others if you know what I mean lol. In other words, they will be different. Again, we live in a pivotal time IMHO which is why I think this car is special. I'm sure I'm wrong but who knows. I'm not selling and don't plan to if I can help it. It will be a car I pass down.
I can't help but agree with this. There may be another NA Spyder, there may not, but there definitely won't be lots of them. I consider this car a lifetime treasure.
Old 10-01-2016 | 06:06 AM
RNGRJAG
Instructor

Spyder's a great car, and special. But this talk of GT3/RS and 911Rs? Please. If someone walked up to me with 911R keys and wanted to do a straight swap, I couldn't get out of my car fast enough. You could trade-in/sell either for multiple Spyders if that was your preference. If the Spyder had parity in value it would be a very different issue. I'd take the 911R all day long...and fund my dream 911, a Singer.
Old 10-01-2016 | 06:38 AM
vintage356
Banned

There will likely be another spyder for sure. However, the next gt3 will be a manual so it likely will simply be a better car than the current gt3 is my guess which begs the question if the next gt3 is simply better why should the current cars hold their value all that well when it is replaced ? Not clear that the next spyder will be better, as we don't know will they do a normally aspirated 911 motor again or go back to a boxster motor ? If the next spyder is a step backwards than the current cars will hold value well. Time will tell.

Either way there is no question that for a pure street car (not track car) the spyder is way more enjoyable and usable than a gt3/gt3rs. For a track machine clearly a gt3/gt3rs wins. Different tools for different purposes both wonderful machines
Old 10-01-2016 | 10:56 PM
Suitcase
Racer

If we take money out of the equation I'd say this. The 911R isn't just an exceptional 911, it's one of the great sports cars...maybe ever. But do not underestimate the 981 Spyder. It too is exceptional. Since the 911R is almost unobtanium buy Spyder or two and keep them. It's not lesser just a different experience.

Originally Posted by RNGRJAG
Spyder's a great car, and special. But this talk of GT3/RS and 911Rs? Please. If someone walked up to me with 911R keys and wanted to do a straight swap, I couldn't get out of my car fast enough. You could trade-in/sell either for multiple Spyders if that was your preference. If the Spyder had parity in value it would be a very different issue. I'd take the 911R all day long...and fund my dream 911, a Singer.
Old 10-01-2016 | 11:35 PM
unotaz
Drifting

There will likely be another spyder for sure. However, the next gt3 will be a manual so it likely will simply be a better car than the current gt3 is my guess which begs the question if the next gt3 is simply better why should the current cars hold their value all that well when it is replaced ? Not clear that the next spyder will be better, as we don't know will they do a normally aspirated 911 motor again or go back to a boxster motor ? If the next spyder is a step backwards than the current cars will hold value well. Time will tell.

Either way there is no question that for a pure street car (not track car) the spyder is way more enjoyable and usable than a gt3/gt3rs. For a track machine clearly a gt3/gt3rs wins. Different tools for different purposes both wonderful machines
I just don't understand your logic.

Any future iteration of the GT3 will be faster than the previous one it replaces, but it doesn't make the future iterations to be better. Why do you think the 993 GT2 holds its value compared to the 996 or 997 GT2? Why do you think the 996 GT3RS holds its value compared to the faster later variants?

Just because it's faster doesn't mean it's better.
Old 10-02-2016 | 01:59 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

I think some of you are drinking a little too much Kool Aid. Lovvvvved my Spyder, but the GT3 RS and the 911R are on another plane entirely, even as street cars. Nobody in their right mind would choose a Spyder if they were the same price.

Quick Reply: 2016 Boxster Spyder - pricing ?