Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shopping for 981 Cayman GTS

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 05:55 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Shopping for 981 Cayman GTS

Hi, new potential 2015 Cayman GTS shopper, some questions:

I live in Southern California and unfortunately supplies in local dealerships here are very few, majority being PDK cars. I am pretty dead set on a manual and the nearest example is up in Santa Barbara (I live in Los Angeles). I have been extending my search throughout the state and several neighboring states dealerships.

Also I have been doing inventory searches thru a sales guy at a local dealership near me and I've found some desirable spec and color cars but for the most part they are being listed between $88-92k regardless of location. I'm going to try and negotiate a deal with my local salesman first, settle on a price and then have him do a dealer swap. My target price is as close to paying $90k out the door as much as they will allow. I know this is likely impossible but what I am pushing for and willing to meet halfway.

If he doesn't play ball then I will have to contact these other offsite dealerships individual and try to bargain with them on an individual basis. I've been keeping track on car inventories so I have a sense on wether they are moving or not.

I'm more used to negotiating price on higher volume seller cars and I know most of those tactics won't apply towards a more limited production model like the Cayman GTS, especially in the NA 6 cylinder and manual 6 spd. Any tips or suggestions from more experience Porsche shoppers is appreciated.

FYI, I'm looking to lease a new car because of the opportunity to write off lease as work/business expense as opposed to buying outright. That excludes non-CPO uses cars at dealerships or privately owned cars at this point.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

My local dealer may still have one with GT silver for 82k nice platinum stitching, sport techno wheels, infotainment but it's a pdk car.

If you want an MT I would try and get a lightly optioned Spyder.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:57 PM
unclemat
Pro

Received 371 Likes on 211 Posts

Hey edkwon - been a while since legacygt.com times!

I am about to jump on a 981 Spyder. Good luck with your GTS Cayman purchase.

Re negotiations. My experience is limited but with few dealers it started like "MSRP. Be glad we are not charing over it!" but ended up at like 2.5% under MSRP. The tactic was simply telling them "Oh, well, I am not really sure I want to buy it at MSRP" or telling them another dealer offers a discount. With one dealer I had deposit with, then back outed, then he came back with a discount.

But turns out folks do better than that (5% under MSRP).
Old 05-27-2016, 11:05 AM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There's a 2015 Carmine GTS with 6K miles going for $67k in the classified section. They have it posted that it goes in for trade in next week. I'd jump on that one!
Old 05-27-2016, 12:02 PM
Argento
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This seems to be one of the best deals around

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...00-norcal.html
Old 05-27-2016, 12:12 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Isringhausen has a nice looking Carmine Red with manual. I've purchased from them in the past and wouldn't hesitate to buy from them again. Here's a link:

http://www.isringhausen.com/Inventor...ehicleID/14213
Old 05-27-2016, 01:07 PM
edkwon
Racer

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I can only do lease up front for the tax writeoff benefits, which I won't get if I purchase used from a private seller (plus I don't have that cash ATM) but it is a fantastic deal. I agree.
Old 05-27-2016, 04:03 PM
doborder
Rennlist Member

Someone buy this car... Which is mine! I hate to turn this in to the stealership and have them mark it up by 10k
I want to see this car to a good home!
Old 05-28-2016, 12:03 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by doborder
Someone buy this car... Which is mine! I hate to turn this in to the stealership and have them mark it up by 10k I want to see this car to a good home!
If I had one extra space in my garage, I'd be buying your car today! Seriously, I can't believe it hadn't sold at that price. Thats why I mentioned it here.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:55 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by edkwon
Thanks for the suggestions everyone, but I can only do lease up front for the tax writeoff benefits, which I won't get if I purchase used from a private seller (plus I don't have that cash ATM) but it is a fantastic deal. I agree.
Sorry for the OT, but why is a lease necessary for tax deductions? I see that comment quite frequently on car forums, but I don't understand why it seems to be a rule.

I almost always purchase or finance my cars and I (and more importantly, my accountant) simply follow the standard depreciation curves for my business tax write-offs. In fact, you get a bonus depreciation write off in the first year. It's a tad bit more work to carry the value of your car from year to year, but it's no different from any other business asset (computers, furniture, heavy equipment). The best thing about it is that it also allows you to buy used vehicles and still get your write-offs.

EDIT: I did some research into this. I'm completely wrong when it comes to mid-level or higher end cars due to caps on the depreciation amounts. Looks like leasing IS an absolute must for larger deductions.

Last edited by CliffJumper RS; 06-21-2016 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 07:33 AM
edkwon
Racer

Originally Posted by CliffJumper RS
Sorry for the OT, but why is a lease necessary for tax deductions? I see that comment quite frequently on car forums, but I don't understand why it seems to be a rule.

I almost always purchase or finance my cars and I (and more importantly, my accountant) simply follow the standard depreciation curves for my business tax write-offs. In fact, you get a bonus depreciation write off in the first year. It's a tad bit more work to carry the value of your car from year to year, but it's no different from any other business asset (computers, furniture, heavy equipment). The best thing about it is that it also allows you to buy used vehicles and still get your write-offs.
Unfortunately not being a CPA i can't answer that for you. I can only go by what I know and the experience of others who don't have a super deep experience in tax laws.
Old 05-30-2016, 09:03 AM
wbgordon
Racer

Originally Posted by edkwon
Unfortunately not being a CPA i can't answer that for you. I can only go by what I know and the experience of others who don't have a super deep experience in tax laws.
You get a standard mileage deduction of 54 cents on the dollar regardless whether you own or lease. Leasing is advantageous if you plan to change cars within ~ three years. Also, if you own your business and are incorporated, you can buy the car and lease it to the corporation for the writeoff.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:26 PM
CliffJumper RS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wbgordon
You get a standard mileage deduction of 54 cents on the dollar regardless whether you own or lease. Leasing is advantageous if you plan to change cars within ~ three years. Also, if you own your business and are incorporated, you can buy the car and lease it to the corporation for the writeoff.
Yes 54 cents is also an option, however, that usually doesn't make sense for people driving cars with higher values (which I'm guessing is most of us on this forum). You really only want to do 54 cents if you very occasionally use your car for work, or you have a beater that you use for business driving.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:43 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,872 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Just because you lease a car, doesn't mean you get a write off. You can only deduct the portion of the lease related to work usage, not the full lease payment. And driving the car from your house to work does not constitute work usage. I had a friend whose practice got audited for another reason and they got nailed for this phony deduction as well.
Old 06-01-2016, 02:21 PM
edkwon
Racer

So I'm now the proud owner of a 2016 GTS in Carrara White. Had to get it from dealer swap in Santa Barbara which was luckily close by. Managed to negotiate a few thousand off sticker, nothing amazing but better than nothing.

Thanks everyone for the advice and help with my shopping

Quick Reply: Shopping for 981 Cayman GTS