Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

987.2 Cayman Base vs 981 Cayman S

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2016, 12:03 AM
Dark Kauphee
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 987.2 Cayman Base vs 981 Cayman S

I am sure there are plenty of comparison here, but thought I would offer up my recent experience to the forum.

I took my 2011 Cayman Base PDK to my local P dealer to have the expired, but hardly worn rubber replaced with new Pilot Sport PS2's in same 17inch stock size. The dealership was kind enough to offer up a loaner vehicle, 2015 Cayman S PDK, for the day as I had some errands to run.

The CS was lightly optioned with PASM, Sport Mode (not Chrono) and 20inch shoes. The startup/idle and light acceleration sounds of the 3.4L are much deeper than the 2.9L, and the PDK automatic shifts were much more pronounced as well, the 2.9L PDK being much smoother and quieter. To be honest I cannot hear the exhaust on my 2.9L (unless in a tunnel/walled road) which is sad, because the 3.4L sounded great in stock form everywhere, just enough noise to let you know it was there.

Under hard acceleration the 2.9L's intake of air is akin to a screaming banshee, which to me is quite pleasing. The 3.4L was a much deeper and driven bellow, and paired with the exhaust note, sounded great. Of the two I do prefer the 2.9L's higher pitched song to redline.

Suspension and steering on the CB gives me a lot of confidence and I feel as if I always know what the car is doing. The CS with PASM on or off never gave me the same feeling of confidence. Oh it's sure footed and probably much more stable than the 2011 CB, but the "feel" is soft compared to the 2011 CB which you "feel" everything. Ride comfort goes to the 2015 CS hands down as the new suspension system is far superior to the 2011 CB two decade old one, it ate large bumps and divots up without much notice to the driver even with PASM on.

Sport Mode is a must, and now that I have experienced it there is no going back. In the 2011 CB (Non-Sport Mode) the gas peddle is mushy with acceleration gently rolling on and off, sometimes prompting me to have to manually down shift to get the best gear for acceleration. Sport Mode on in the 2015 CS the gas peddle is tight and ultra responsive, gas is either on or off. Manually driving in Sport Mode rewards you with rev matches on down shifts, which when paired with the aforementioned intake and exhaust notes makes for a very enjoyable spirited drive.

Although the 2015 CS is all around faster, the 2011 CB has more usable power in the twisties, that said neither car can be driven to the limit on civilian roadways safely, so I have no doubt that on a track the Cayman S would outshine a Cayman Base.

Overall audible pleasantness (intake+exhaust+rev matching) = 2015 CS
Overall comfort/quality of drive = 2015 CS
Overall fun on a twisty country road = 2011 CB

My final take from comparing the two is this that I would rather have my 987.2 Base, adding Sport Mode and an exhaust, than a 2015 Cayman S. The older 987.2 feels a tab bit more raw and I like that!

Regards,

Graeme
Old 03-12-2016, 10:06 AM
acc_123
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 6 Posts

Adding a Sprint Booster will fix your throttle response problem!
Old 03-12-2016, 12:11 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by acc_123
Adding a Sprint Booster will fix your throttle response problem!
Even though SB is cheaper, especially with PDK, I'd much prefer retrofitting Porsche Sport Mode to a non-Sport Mode car instead.

Did it to my 6sp. car and not only the throttle, but changes to PSM/ABS on the track are noticeable, not to mention increased resale.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Cayman Base vs 981 Cayman S