Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Roadshow 2014

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 02:43 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Porsche Roadshow 2014

Today a friend and I went to Summit Point Raceway for the Porsche Roadshow. It was invite-only thing to drive the newest Porsche cars. Many thanks to Casey Parkin @ Silver Spring Porsche for getting us on "the list".

Long story short (something we all already know): Porsche cars absolutely live up to the hype. Not a stinker in the bunch...

We arrived a little early and checked out the display cars (of course, all were high-sticker, fully-loaded). Once the event kicked off, we did a little classroom session, then headed out to the track.

First up, there was a short autocross (about ¼ of the track) in both a Panamera GTS (in a gorgeous gray/red combo) and a Macan Turbo (in Rhodium Silver). I've been in a GTS before, so I knew what to expect there, but the Macan was NUTS! Both were incredibly composed on the track, but that Macan drives like no other SUV. Period. I actually got it a little sideways coming out of the hairpin. My instructor seemed to approve. We were part of the very few actually flogging the cars. Some Asian lady (no, seriously) almost got caught up, even with 20 secs separation on a 50-sec course.

Next we got to do the good part: lead-follow in each of a Boxster GTS, Cayman GTS, and Targa 4S. We got to ride/drive together on this stage, so it was a lot of fun. Fortunately our group only had one slowpoke (which ruined my Cayman GTS lap), so we got to really drive the **** out of them. Driving them all back-to-back-to-back in such a short period really spelled out the differences. The Cayman GTS is by far the pointiest tool in the bunch. Turn-in is RIGHT NOW, handling was impressive, and it had plenty of power. The Boxster was nearly as good, which blew away my expectations. The Targa, admittedly tuned to be more of a cruiser/DD, was really good too, but the weight was very noticeable and it was nowhere near as confidence-inspiring as the Cayman or Boxster.

Finally, we got to ride along on a hot lap with a PSDS instructor in new Turbo. Jesus. Titty. ****ing. Christ. That is a fast car. My instructor, a younger dude, had it sideways through the hairpin and caught a little air on the crest. The launch was especially brutal. I hope you guys with a Turbo S (or on order) have somewhere to really drive that thing. I'd certainly go to jail if I had one. It's just too easy, too fast, too capable. I don't have the self-control to putt-putt around town.

Some observations after the event:

1) I need to get rid of the Evoque and get a Macan S (no need for Turbo) ASAP. What a great little car...

2) The Boxster is not a chick car. That GTS is a tremendously fun tool.

3) A GT3 with PDK might be an unbeatable combo on a track day. Yes, the new PDK is MUCH better than it used to be. Hard to argue with it now.

4) I think I'd be VERY content with just a base Cayman with all the sport options (seats, suspension, exhaust) and the right wheels and xenons. In Rhodium Silver with blue leather, please.

Old 09-21-2014, 06:28 PM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 458 Posts

Very Nice write up Chris. Very good. Wish I was in your shoes my friend. Have driven all but the Turbo S that you did and I agree that it would be an ideal car IF one had one place to drive it. If I were stationed in Europe OMG. Heaven.

But concur on the Macan Turbo and S; drove one with Rafeal and man was a heartbeat from ordering one for myself. Would change the wife's Q5 in a heartbeat for one next year. Funny looks like a Cayenne S was there but no mention in your write up. Why? And while the GTS is great I'd say a Cayman S optioned as we've discussed would be your best bet OR get the base and send it down to BGB and let John T. drop a 3.8L (991S) in it and a few of his retrofits. That my friend would definitely satisfy you!

Quite a lovely day I'd say my friend...
Old 09-21-2014, 10:21 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,273 Likes on 586 Posts

Thanks for posting this Chris. I read through the whole thing. Nice. As for the Turbo? After you've lit it up a couple of times you do worry about spending some time overnight in a cold cell thinking of acceptable explanations to tell your wife such as "Honey, I decided to go for a drive and I just got tired and found an inexpensive hotel to spend the night in" or something there of. I owned an 08 TT cab with not the HP of the 2014 BUT after you've hit the turbo hard, it becomes like going the local amusement park - once a year or so is quite enough. With this in mind, this is where the Boxsters and Caymans come in. Very very capable cars, lower HP, super fun to drive etc... My Spyder continues to produce a grin on my face. So very responsive, in fact more so due to (correct me if I'm wrong) it's short stroke length and no turbo lag.

May consider the Manan S for my next car. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Machog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Excellent post. What do we have to do to join this elite group, buy 3-4 P cars over a few years? See the Panamera is plugged into a charging station. Did you drive the Hybrid?

Machog
Old 09-22-2014, 08:51 PM
stevencr
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Chris, Thanks for the write up and pics. How long did the "road show" last? I'll be attending the Houston event this weekend.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:53 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

So from the top:

1) Rob - I didn't mention the Cayenne/Macan looks because I figure most people can tell. Personally the Macan looks "tighter" in person, but it still has plenty of room and a decent cargo bay (bigger than my wife's Evoque).

2) Zeus - Having never owned a Turbo or GT car (several Carreras and a Cayman though), I've wanted to taste that forbidden fruit. It's just that the police presence is so thick and unforgiving here in VA, any high HP is just not worth it. I couldn't even drive my S6 to anywhere near its capabilities...

3) Machog - We didn't drive any of the display cars. With the exception of the Targa, all were the sportiest versions of each car. Because it's really a Porsche marketing event, the two ways to get in are A) be a high-end customer of a competing brand (we saw lots of AMGs, Vipers, M cars) or B) be a known customer at a cool dealer. I was in group B.

4) Steven - The whole thing was about 2 ½ hours. We were never bored - that first time getting up was a nice adrenaline rush. It was very well-produced. Buy yourself a little time after the even to check out the Porsche Driver Selection displays, etc.

Oh, and the hospitality girls were quite appealing.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:57 PM
matttheboatman
Rennlist Member

Received 612 Likes on 235 Posts

Loved your write up and pics. My wife and I went to the Orlando Road Show. It was set up exactly the same. Like so many others, I was genuinely impressed with the Macan, felt the Cayman GTS was the perfect track car, and the lap on the Turbo S was Holy Cow Batman!

I am bias because I have a GTS on order, but the new Sport Exhaust on the Cayman was by far the best - absolutely incredible, deep and aggressive.

By the way Machog, I had trouble getting an invite too. Called my dealer - no luck, my finance contact at PCNA - no luck, Porsche Exclusive - not going, and finally resorted to begging via the email posted on the Roadshow sub website. The begging worked!
Old 09-23-2014, 01:00 PM
Machog
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Oh, and the hospitality girls were quite appealing/QUOTE] .........and the pictures of those are where;-)

Machog
Old 09-23-2014, 02:28 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Awesome write up Chris and thank you for sharing the photos So when is the Macan getting ordered
Old 09-23-2014, 05:27 PM
williamr91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chris, the GF and I went to the first one this year, in Detroit (Ford Proving Grounds in Romeo) and it was a blast. I agree 100% the Cayman GTS is an amazing car, the T4S was a bit soft...but thats to be expected. During the Auto-x the Macan TT felt too bouncy in the rear IMO which I didn't care for. But as a daily SUV it seems like it would be great. The Panny GTS sounds amazing, brakes hard, etc, but big girl also felt too big in the sharp auto-x...to be expected I guess.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:51 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Originally Posted by ECS Tuning
Awesome write up Chris and thank you for sharing the photos So when is the Macan getting ordered
You're welcome. It was awesome.

As for the Macan, I'll be trading in my wife's Evoque as soon as possible. Right now, Porsche is forgiving 12 mos/$30K in lease payments, so maybe we'll order it around this time next year. Right now, I'm looking at a $70K order on a Macan S - nicely specced, not too much more than her loaded Evoque...
Old 09-28-2014, 02:15 AM
mdrobc1213
Rennlist Member

Received 830 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali

As for the Macan, I'll be trading in my wife's Evoque as soon as possible. Right now, Porsche is forgiving 12 mos/$30K in lease payments, so maybe we'll order it around this time next year. Right now, I'm looking at a $70K order on a Macan S - nicely specced, not too much more than her loaded Evoque...
Chris...you KNOW I am going to remind you [gently] of all the flak you guys gave me last year while deployed when I talked about the Macan and praised it...sight unseen even. LOL Now placing an order? Don't blame you man one bit....offered to cover the cost to trade the wife's 2012 Q5 2.0T for a 2015 Macan S next Spring last week again but was told she likes her Audi a lot and is satisfied. But what about me! LOL
Old 09-29-2014, 11:00 PM
Chris from Cali
Race Car

Rob -

It took about 30 seconds behind the wheel to realize what a world-beater that Macan is. Nothing in that class can touch it. The bigger decision would be to get a decently-specced Turbo, a loaded S, or a certified Cayenne GTS... My wife likes smaller stuff, so maybe a CPO Macan Turbo?

Another shock was finding how much PDK has improved from how it was in our 997.2s. I would actually be happy with PDK in the GT3/Turbo. Shock/horror!
Old 10-01-2014, 06:27 PM
Salespunk
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris from Cali

Figured out the answer to my own question. Looks like $4500 for conquest leases and $30K for PFS pull aheads.

Last edited by Salespunk; 10-01-2014 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Porsche Roadshow 2014