Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 oil filter fit

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 AM
Taildragger
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 981 oil filter fit

When inserting the new oil filter in the housing before reinstalling the housing, I noticed the upper tube has very snug fit when it is pushed into the filter hole. The lower hole of the filter, however, is a loose fit around the filter housing centering cup. How does porsche keep the oil from bypassing the filter at this this loose fitting joint?
Is there a flow diagram explaining this? Or a good explanation would help to ease my mind.
Thanks
Taildragger-981 dark met blue
Old 09-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Taildragger
When inserting the new oil filter in the housing before reinstalling the housing, I noticed the upper tube has very snug fit when it is pushed into the filter hole. The lower hole of the filter, however, is a loose fit around the filter housing centering cup. How does porsche keep the oil from bypassing the filter at this this loose fitting joint?
Is there a flow diagram explaining this? Or a good explanation would help to ease my mind.
Thanks
Taildragger-981 dark met blue
Is the new filter the same height as the old (factory?) filter?

I bought a filter online for my Cayman and when I compared it to the factory filter there was enough difference I never used the filter I bought online but stayed with the factory filters I bought at the dealer parts department.

My recollection from when I changed the oil is the filter gets compressed some when the housing is installed and tightened. I would install the filter into a clean housing pushing the filter down until it seated on the spigot at the bottom of the housing, then dump in fresh oil to fill the housing up then carefully install the housing.

The filter doesn't get squeezed too much but it gets squeezed enough the covering at each end ensures an oil tight seal so the oil of course passes through the filter element and can't flow around this.

Quick Reply: 981 oil filter fit