Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

X73 Suspension package in 981?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2014, 12:03 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,267 Likes on 585 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Spring rate is the amount of weight (lb) you need to put on the spring to compress it by a certain amount (in). So higher SR means stiffer springs.
Ah.... Tx! Makes sense.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:21 AM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Bill Lehman, hf1:

I think all these bode well for the GTS to be worthy of it's moniker. On the surface, it might be construed as a 'luxury' exercise; but, spec’d correctly, it could be the best Boxster yet, superseding the Spyder as king of the hill; until, 981 Spyder turns up. One of the forum members commented that from MY15, there may be an option for bucket seats. So, that would make the driving experience even better.

I actually meant Porsche re-calibrating the steering feel for the GTS. I am betting on it.

Eduardo:
Your breadth of knowledge on Porsches and reach are unrivaled. But, I am going to stick my neck out and make the following predictions:
- The GTS will have X73 option. I don’t see a business or technical case for not offering it.
- 981 gen will get a Spyder; and, it will have NA engine, though the platform would have switched to flat-4 turbo. The top will be manual, as it’s an easy target for weight saving. It may not be two-piece bikini affair; but, some complex manual solution, Porsche-style!
- Did Porsche lose money on 987 Spyders? No indication of that. Models like Spyder and RS aren’t expected to be top-earners; but, as long as they aren’t losing money on each unit sold, they will continue to make such niche models. Porsche knows that these models are important for the brand equity.

cheers.
Old 10-08-2016, 10:38 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

And yes, the GTS does have the X73 suspension option
Old 10-09-2016, 01:42 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Eduardo:
Your breadth of knowledge on Porsches and reach are unrivaled. But, I am going to stick my neck out and make the following predictions:
- The GTS will have X73 option. I don’t see a business or technical case for not offering it.
- 981 gen will get a Spyder; and, it will have NA engine, though the platform would have switched to flat-4 turbo. The top will be manual, as it’s an easy target for weight saving. It may not be two-piece bikini affair; but, some complex manual solution, Porsche-style!
- Did Porsche lose money on 987 Spyders? No indication of that. Models like Spyder and RS aren’t expected to be top-earners; but, as long as they aren’t losing money on each unit sold, they will continue to make such niche models. Porsche knows that these models are important for the brand equity.
Well, he was wrong on all counts and you were right, so no need to be humble anymore.
Old 10-09-2016, 02:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Well, he was wrong on all counts and you were right, so no need to be humble anymore.
When Porsche announced the first Spyder they specifically stated that it would be a regular model going forward and it would not be limited production either which has somewhat held true.

Since they are only offering it at the very end of the production run the quantities built are inherintly limited.

So the interesting question for the future will be what engine will the next GT4 and Spyder have.....
Old 10-10-2016, 11:03 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
When Porsche announced the first Spyder they specifically stated that it would be a regular model going forward and it would not be limited production either which has somewhat held true.

Since they are only offering it at the very end of the production run the quantities built are inherintly limited.

So the interesting question for the future will be what engine will the next GT4 and Spyder have.....
Ha! I see this is my original thread. How things have changed over the last few years. Yes - the question is on the next 718 GT4 and Spyder. What will that engine be?
Old 10-10-2016, 05:39 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Ha! I see this is my original thread. How things have changed over the last few years. Yes - the question is on the next 718 GT4 and Spyder. What will that engine be?
My sales guy (leading independent) says he thinks the next GT4 will get the 991.1 GTS engine and not be called a 718. He also thinks there won't be a 718 Spyder because an NA engine at the top of the range would represent a marketing contortion even Porsche couldn't pull for a non-GT car.

Who knows...
Old 10-11-2016, 10:52 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I can't offer an opinion on the 981 but I can tell you that the Spyder suspension is compliant and is only harsh on really bumpy poorly maintained roads. I can't imagine your roads can be worse than what I had to deal with in southeastern MA.
PASM is terrific and versatile, IMO. As for the roads - imagine southeastern MA, now imagine a 7.0 earthquake. Now you have Philly roads.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:06 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MagicRat
My sales guy (leading independent) says he thinks the next GT4 will get the 991.1 GTS engine and not be called a 718. He also thinks there won't be a 718 Spyder because an NA engine at the top of the range would represent a marketing contortion even Porsche couldn't pull for a non-GT car.

Who knows...
Yes, but according to reliable sources (Past-president of the PCA) Porsche had worse than expected sales of the 987.2 Spyder and vowed it was a mistake and would not be making another. Then comes the 981 Spyder... So this sort of conjecture albeit interesting is just that. Look at the 991.2 GT3 that is coming out replete with a MT. What does that say about the beloved PDK and marketing around it? So I for one am going to sit back and wait and see what Porsche has up their sleeve. A GT4 and a Spyder with the 991.1 GTS engine? I can't see why they wouldn't do that, providing the engine bay can handle it, and just live with the fact that the overall fleet gas mileage will be dilute down what they're achieving with the turbo'd 4's.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:32 AM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

If the GT4 gets the 991.1 GTS engine it will be interesting to hear how they manage to get the intake to work on the next gen.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:05 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Thanks, elp_jc.

Afshin, Zeus993, MagicRat, Alan C.:

Here are my predictions:
- There "will be" a 718 Spyder. As Afshin pointed out, it is a regular production, end-of-cycle model. With two generations in the history books, it has cemented it's legacy as one of the most exciting, road-going, open-top Porsches. The future of Spyder, at least in the near term, is secure and will continue to excite.

- The engine will be current NA for at least one more cycle. It might have X51 Power Kit with some additional tuning. I am not sure if there is enough space in the bay to accommodate all the plumbing and cooling. But, NA is a done deal.

- GT4 will be part of 718 family. No rational reason not to be.

- A while back, they trademarked the moniker 'GT5'. Wonder if the Spyder will get that.

- 987 Spyder a failure?? Hardly! I believe last time Porsche ever lost money on a model was Carrera GT! If it made money, defined driver-focused benchmark and got driving enthusiasts excited, then it would be deemed a clear win. 981 successor proved that point.

- Oh, and, the next Spyder will be a GT car! You can thank me later!

981 platform's road map has been clearly defined and signed off way back. High level Product Planning happens years in advance, factoring-in worldwide regulations and market/financial conditions. They get tweaked and adjusted to accommodate changing variables. Post-981 variables get interesting though. We are talking hybrids and electrics. Euro regs kicking in 2020 are much more onerous. Even boutique manufacturers like Caterham aren't gonna be exempt. They seem to be working on making the chassis even lighter and turbo charging the engines! My guess is that GT/Spyder cars would continue to stay a step closer to enthusiasts-side on engine choices.
Old 10-13-2016, 04:06 PM
JPR
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a '15 981 CS with the x73 and the PTV. Even on Miami so-so roads, it was compliant and the car was never low enough to cause routine scraping of the front or rear while getting out of parking lot dips. the suspension felt in keeping with a dual purpose car on both highways and tighter city roads. While the GT4 that replaced it is stiffer and lower, it makes daily driving a little less livable than the CS.

Jpr
Old 10-13-2016, 08:05 PM
edkwon
Racer

Received 246 Likes on 97 Posts

I have the X71 setup in my GTS and the ride quality really depends on the quality of your local pavement. Do you live in the smoother paved suburbs or more warzone like urban pavement. I unfortunately live in downtown LA which has some terrible, gnarly roads so leaving the area is a bit awful and many stretches of the LA freeways in my immediate area are also equally unpleasant, but plenty of great driving roads once I reach them.
Old 10-16-2016, 01:18 PM
s2ktaxi
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe there will be a GT4 Spyder with an NA engine. I'd expect the 981.2 GT4 and GT4 Spyder would get a detuned 991.2 GT3 engine with 9000 rpm redline...

If Porsche is looking for repeat customers, that's what it would take to get me to trade in
Old 10-16-2016, 08:19 PM
Underblu
Banned

Received 575 Likes on 217 Posts

The next Spyder will almost certainly be a turbo 4 to show continuity with the 718 platform and hopefully generate some excitement around the 718 line.

To make both the next GT4 and Spyder NA 6 would completely undermine Porsche's marketing efforts to legitimize the turbo 4 as an engine worthy of a Porsche sports car.

The GT4 being a GT car gives Porsche the latitude to keep the NA 6. Additionally, the GT4 was far more successful sales wise than the 981 Spyder so there is that additional business case to continue the GT4 with the NA 6.

So from Porsche's perspective, why would they subvert their 718 marketing efforts and further diminish the value of the turbo 4 to sell a very limited number of 718 Spyders with a flat 6.

No, the Spyder would be far better utilized by Porsche as a showcase to show the potential of the turbo 4 engine and to use that retro speed hump styling to further tie the new 718 line to the illustrious original 718.

It would also counterbalance a flat 6 718 GT4 with a hot setup 718 that uses the turbo 4.

Porsche doesn't strike me as a stupid company so for those reasons I can't see them offering a 718 Spyder with anything other than a turbo 4.

To the poster that mentions Porsche's change of heart with regard to putting an MT in the next GT3, it is clear they did this because of the tremendous outcry for such a car. I also suspect that many of the folks in the Motorsports division were in favor of such a move. Not to mention the fact that utilizing the MT transmission in the 911R just makes business sense as does offering a MT 991.2 GT3 to many loyal Porsche enthusiast who felt cheated out of the 911R.

Adding an MT to the next GT3 makes perfect business sense. Putting a flat 6 in the next Spyder absolutely does not.

Quick Reply: X73 Suspension package in 981?