Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help me pick my new rims for my 981 I can't decide.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 AM
Loaded981S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me pick my new rims for my 981 I can't decide.

I just picked up a White 2013 981 S and it has factory 20 Inch Carrera S Rims with the silver paint. I'm having the dealer paint them and my choices are high gloss black, white and platinum or more of a gun metal.

What do you think of my choices. I've attached some pictures and I will explain my thoughts.

Black- I used to have a 05 Boxster. Black paint / sandal leather /Black rims with a silver polished lip. The car looked racy, aggressive and track ready.

I find that with the new white 981 S the black doesn't look very good. I haven't seen one in person, but the black rims seem hidden, looking almost like cheap rims with that silver line that runs the wheel between the rim and tire. The colour scheme of the car WHITE, CARRERA RED INTERIOR, RED TOP. Yellow Gauges, yellow seat belts, yellow sport chrono clock. These are very busy colours and with the black wheels and red top it seems almost TOO busy.. What do you think?

I find the white rims to be classy, very LA Style, almost like it should be driving down the PCH towards Malibu with the top down. The white and white cleans up the mix of colours, but still gives the car a very distinct look/style. It looks clean overall.

The platinum or a slightly darker shade of gun metal looks sleek, slick, does a clean job of keeping the colour from going crazy. It is an aggressive looks without being over the top and calms down the crazy red top and interior.

My car is the in photo with the stock wheels and top up and also the yellow gauge interior. What wheel colour do you guys like the best?

Last edited by Loaded981S; 02-23-2014 at 03:42 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 09:52 AM
perretar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

White with a narrow red strip around the rim.
I would also paint the air grills red.

Cant believe they put yellow gauges in that car. Shudda been white. I have a new Cayman, white/beige, with white gauges. Love it.
Old 02-22-2014, 10:49 AM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If going from the stock silver wheels to something else, I'd choose the platinum. I think they look nice, modern, and they will hide brake dust and be the easiest to live with.

Not a fan of black...I find them sort of dated looking at this point (you even had them on a car 9 years ago), and a bit like what I expect to see on a lot of modded GTis, old Integras, and Civics and other older cars that young guys buy and mod. In addition, when they take a some stone chips they don't look so great. I also don't like that you can't really see the definition of the spokes on a great looking set of wheels, and the thin silver stripe running around the outer edge always reminds me of white wall tires.

The white, look better than I expected, but that is going to be really high maintenance. You will be out side cleaning the wheels every 5 minutes or they will look filthy (but maybe you are ok with that). I think white wheels were more livable when they were on old 3.2 Carreras, as the brake pads on those didn't seem to give off as much brake dust as modern Porsche pads do.

Anyway, congrats on your new 981S. I love those wheels, and chose the same ones (in the standard silver) for our car.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:39 PM
jrotsaert
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

stock looks best to me...
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM
zirrah
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stock. Non-painted. Black wheels are played out for now imo. They'll be cool again in a few years.
Old 02-22-2014, 01:44 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 70 Likes on 20 Posts

^ agreed, stock silver is best to me.

Quick Reply: Help me pick my new rims for my 981 I can't decide.