Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Real Life 981 Colors Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 04:32 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Received 46 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Real Life 981 Colors Thread

Hello:

Is there a thread like this already started? I searched but could not find one.

If not can some of you fortunate new owners post pictures of your cars here?

Thanks.

Robert
Old 01-29-2014, 11:18 PM
mgerber
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Here you go...
Attached Images  
Old 01-30-2014, 12:52 AM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Thank you.

Is that Sapphire Blue?
Old 01-30-2014, 12:56 AM
mgerber
Pro

Aqua
Old 01-30-2014, 11:30 AM
meteor10
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mgerber
Here you go...
mgerber- Nice color combo. That looks like the platinum grey interior. How is the the reflection in the windshield with that light grey dash, just wondering for future reference.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:01 PM
mgerber
Pro

meteor10: you are correct on the interior color (Platinum Grey). I have not had any issues with reflections. The Platinum Grey is an interesting color in that it changes hue considerably depending on how the sunlight hits it.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Boxster dude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here you go...
Oooh my heart just skipped a beat - classy color combo.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:09 PM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That's a pretty. Surely we must have a few more owners out there
Old 01-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

OK, here's a 3% or so of production color - Mahogany Metallic/Brown top/Espresso full natural leather. Who would buy a "brown" Porsche? Me. After my wife and daughter told me to.
Incredible color. Looks phenomenal in person, changing with the lighting. Has most options, including PASM, SC, PTV, 14 ways, heated/ventilated, BOSE, folding mirrors, painted center console, clear side markers (after these were taken), front clip Xpel, etc. Except heated steering wheel, which I tried to add 48 hours after the order locked. NEIN, DUMMKOPH!!! was the polite "no" I received, more or less.
I'm wavering, though. Waiting to see and drive the 991 Targa. Might be trading later in the year. It's been a terrific car to drive for the 4K miles I put on last season, except for trying to back up with the top up. I'm leaning toward trading if I can't retrofit a functioning back up camera by the time it comes out of mothballs. I can't see a damn thing. Otherwise, I can't imagine anything I would change on it. As anyone who has driven one knows, it's a very capable automobile. Since my DD is a Tundra, I really notice the difference!
Attached Images      
Old 01-30-2014, 09:27 PM
996toomey
Three Wheelin'

Thank you. The cars look great and the 19" Boxster S wheel looks good on the cars! Didn't care for the wheel on the configurator.
Old 01-30-2014, 10:48 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 981

Keadog:
That is a beautiful car you have and from the description of it, very well equipped too. I never really considered that color combo before but if that was at my dealers as a trade, I would be very tempted. I guess it is an S but I didn't see that.

Be safe and enjoy
Patty

Originally Posted by Keadog
OK, here's a 3% or so of production color - Mahogany Metallic/Brown top/Espresso full natural leather. Who would buy a "brown" Porsche? Me. After my wife and daughter told me to.
Incredible color. Looks phenomenal in person, changing with the lighting. Has most options, including PASM, SC, PTV, 14 ways, heated/ventilated, BOSE, folding mirrors, painted center console, clear side markers (after these were taken), front clip Xpel, etc. Except heated steering wheel, which I tried to add 48 hours after the order locked. NEIN, DUMMKOPH!!! was the polite "no" I received, more or less.
I'm wavering, though. Waiting to see and drive the 991 Targa. Might be trading later in the year. It's been a terrific car to drive for the 4K miles I put on last season, except for trying to back up with the top up. I'm leaning toward trading if I can't retrofit a functioning back up camera by the time it comes out of mothballs. I can't see a damn thing. Otherwise, I can't imagine anything I would change on it. As anyone who has driven one knows, it's a very capable automobile. Since my DD is a Tundra, I really notice the difference!
Old 01-31-2014, 08:49 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,100 Likes on 659 Posts

Originally Posted by achildofthesky
Keadog:
That is a beautiful car you have and from the description of it, very well equipped too. I never really considered that color combo before but if that was at my dealers as a trade, I would be very tempted. I guess it is an S but I didn't see that.

Be safe and enjoy
Patty
Thanks. Yes, it's an S. I had the badging removed prior to delivery and clear side markers put on right after these pics were taken. The dealer had a non-S on the lot in this combo and I liked it quite a bit. The girls went crazy for it, so I erased the triple black and changed the boxes.
There's a guy on Planet 9 from Oregon with the same combo and I think my dealer (Penske Beachwood) might have ordered another one for stock after the car I saw sold. I saw a Panamera in Mahogany at an event last summer, but there aren't too many around. It's certainly not for everyone, but we like it.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:17 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

mahogany metallic is wonderfully rich, deep and lustrous.

works beautifully with the 981.
Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Here are a few pix of our Dark Metallic Blue 981 S, with Agate/Pebble leather interior and brushed aluminum trim. The first 2 pictures were after it arrived at the dealer (you will notice it has the original amber side markers and the wheel center caps were not installed yet). All other photos were after it was recently delivered via enclosed trailer as the weather here has been pretty bad. Can't wait for spring. I'll try to take some more photos outside once the weather improves. Special thanks to Keadog, who was very helpful and generously shared his experience with the various options and the ordering process.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Wow Dino, what a great color combo. The black full leather dash looks fantastic too.

Ironically I was configuring a Cayman S just last night and the only difference between your configuration and what I had picked was the perforated/cooled seats. Same exact exterior/interior color, same options (from what I can see) and same wheels. Great minds think alike. ;-)

Congratulations to you and Jill, enjoy in good health.

Quick Reply: Real Life 981 Colors Thread