Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPad mini Retina installed in 2014 Boxster *VIDEO + Pictures*

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 04:56 PM
jenk12m
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thats awesome
Old 01-07-2014, 10:58 AM
981WC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Augustomf
Very nice, so now that you have all of us drooling, how do you connect the sound output from the IPad to the Bose Amplifier, I assume you had the Bose sound system.
Hey guys, THANKS for all of the accolades! I appreciate it! Added a couple new pictures.

As for connecting the sound, I used an Apple Lightning to 30-pin and then a 30-pin line-out + power cord and plugged the line-out into the car's AUX port and the power cord into the USB port in the glovebox to give it power. Tried a bunch of different ways before this, but this one ended up working best. Also used a ground isolating audio cord to get rid of any hiss. Lot more to it than that, but that's the basics.
Old 01-07-2014, 03:45 PM
blue44
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

liking the soft home button, great project...

Donn
Old 01-07-2014, 11:59 PM
ClintonM3
Racer

Awesome job.

But wait a second, with the camera covered, how do you go on Skype, make funny faces on Photo Booth, or do a selfie?
Old 01-08-2014, 12:35 AM
981WC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ClintonM3
Awesome job.

But wait a second, with the camera covered, how do you go on Skype, make funny faces on Photo Booth, or do a selfie?
You don't. Was originally thinking of drilling a hole for the front-facing camera, but decided against it. Determined I'd never use it and it looks a lot cleaner without the hole.
Old 01-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Augustomf
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 981WC
You don't. Was originally thinking of drilling a hole for the front-facing camera, but decided against it. Determined I'd never use it and it looks a lot cleaner without the hole.
Could put a clear lens on the whole, but aiming the camera right would still be an issue.

Can you tell us what your cost was besides the IPad.
Old 01-08-2014, 01:33 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Five star execution. Cleanest and most OEM looking so far.

Not a fan of Apple mobile devices though. I have a Google Nexus 7 HD (now $200) that has built in GPS even on only the Wi-Fi only model. Which is perfect for a vehicle application. If I'm not mistaken Apple still make you pony up for the 4G version simply to get GPS. The wifi only mini "retina" Ipad is already $200 too steep for a 7" wifi only tablet. So at $630 for a 32GB 4G mini Ipad with the GPS capability you'll need in the car you're well past tablet pricing these days. As for the screen, the pixel density in the $200 Nexus 7 and the $400-$630 iPad mini are nearly identical both at ~323 ppi but the cheaper Nexus 7 has better color accuracy.

Also, for those of you on Verizon, I can tether the Nexus 7 to my phone's 4G LTE signal without any additional monthly charges with a simple $7 application (FoxFi). Win win. I belive Verizon had to agree not to interferre with tethering to gain additional 4G spectrum.
The only issue is that I think I prefer having the Navigation visible above the dash than below it. Also, the Google Now improvements in the latest Android OS are really great for hands free driving. Jus say "Okay Google", and it will find your destination and you're off. And the backbutton is always on screen at the bottom (no matter how you rotate the device physically) and not on the bezel which would make for cleaner in-dash set up.

Point is guys, you have options beyond Apple for an in-dash screen, at considerably less cost.

Last edited by perfectlap; 01-08-2014 at 03:13 PM.
Old 01-16-2014, 12:29 AM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ur killing me dude! That's PERFECT! And ur not going to share?? PM inbound!
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 PM
chrismmm
Instructor

i also use a nexus 7 and have considered using it in the car. The waze application would be amazing on a nexus 7 dash mounted.

For music I dont want another device in the middle. I am very happy being able to use thumbs drive for music especially after tweaking mp3s to optimal settings.

The OP did a fantastic job on the install and config, Hats off to you sir!
Old 07-29-2014, 03:38 PM
Nicholas Cardoza
3rd Gear

Can you please tell me where you found the bezel?

Did you ever post a DIY??? I am DYING to do this for so long and you have done an amazing job!!!!!!

Quick Reply: iPad mini Retina installed in 2014 Boxster *VIDEO + Pictures*