Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of my 981 Boxster w/ BGB 3.8L 991S conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 12:23 AM
981WC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very impressive modification! I've got the base Boxster 981 myself (first Porsche) and absolutely love it. Got it instead of the S because I don't want speeding tickets and love ringing the car out to redline.

But having a 400HP Boxster would be amazing! I think I'll have to consider doing it!

One question about the brakes though: I heard from Brembo that powercoating brake calipers is bad because it restricts their ability to shed heat. I'm guessing BGB knows better and wouldn't of recommended it if that were the case?

Does the Bengal Yellow perfectly match the Racing Yellow? I'm about to paint (or powdercoat my brake calipers) and want them to look the same color as the PCCBs. Is Bengal Yellow the color that the PCCBs are?

Also, how did you apply the PORSCHE decal to the calipers? Were they applied underneath the clear coat, or did you just apply them on top when you got the calipers back from the powdercoater? I was going to have them put the decals underneath the clearcoat on mine because I'm concerned otherwise they'd flake off over time?

Thanks in advance! And enjoy that monster of a 981!
Old 10-22-2013, 09:33 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 600 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Excellent work! Great post. The car looks gorgeous. Bare-bones, low-option, base 981 + a $21k 3.8L 'option' may be the best bargain in Porschedom and roadsterdom. Maybe Porsche will see the light if BGB started doing 200+ of these conversions a year.
200 + ?!?!?!? I'm down! WHO IS WITH ME?!?!

To be frank, we're considering shifting the business plan to make BGB the Cayman resource center it needs to be so you guys drum up the interest and we'll crank them out!

Last edited by BGB Motorsports; 10-22-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:07 PM
981WC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports

To be frank, we're considering shifting the business plan to make BGB the Cayman resource center it needs to be as opposed to running all over God's country following the Grand-Am schedule. So, you guys drum up the interest and we'll crank them out!
Hey John, any chance you'd be able to answer this re the brakes...

I heard from Brembo that powercoating brake calipers is bad because it restricts their ability to shed heat. I'm guessing BGB knows better and wouldn't of recommended it if that were the case?

Does the Bengal Yellow perfectly match the Racing Yellow? I'm about to paint (or powdercoat my brake calipers) and want them to look the same color as the PCCBs. Is Bengal Yellow the color that the PCCBs are?

Also, how did you apply the PORSCHE decal to the calipers? Were they applied underneath the clear coat, or did you just apply them on top when you got the calipers back from the powdercoater? I was going to have them put the decals underneath the clearcoat on mine because I'm concerned otherwise they'd flake off over time?
Old 10-22-2013, 12:43 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by 981WC
Hey John, any chance you'd be able to answer this re the brakes...

I heard from Brembo that powercoating brake calipers is bad because it restricts their ability to shed heat. I'm guessing BGB knows better and wouldn't of recommended it if that were the case?

As far as brake temps go, we use the powder coat because I am hesitant to use paint and sell these cars or work on these cars that have over $100K in them and send something that flakes off when you change your own pads or rotors and are working in the garage. No matter whether we paint them, powder coat them or if they're virgin from the dealer, the first time our cars go out on track and things get hot and our techs start bleeding brakes, the fluid runs down the caliper and it's stained forever. Brembo will also tell you that the factory paint, their paint, etc...the red paint can only stand up for an extended period of time for temperatures north of 500 degrees. We took a Cayman S to the Gran Prix de Trois Rivieres and the calipers went from red to rootbeer in 2 hours. I think I like powder coat because of it's durability. And it even happens cumulatively over time. If it takes 3 hours at 650 degrees to turn red to brown, if you run 2 hours one day and another 1 hour the following, the resulting shade is near similar. It's crazy.

NOW...what Brembo says is true, if they're saying that powder coating retains more heat than the alternative and yes, that statement is true. Would I think twice about powder coating a set of calipers I ran in a 3 hour endurance race? no! But would they run hotter? Anythings that has been smoothed, is polished or coated is going to retain a tick more heat than a rough finished aluminum. But to what degree? Ultimately you're doing this for aesthetics but is it going to cause you to boil your brake fluid? Most likely not. And if you're a track guy, you're going to put brake ducts on because you guys hear me say over and over and over again, that brake cooling on these cars is MANDATORY even if it's just the GT3 deflector shields from your local Porsche dealer.

The shop that I found near Jacksonville apparently did Brumos caliper painting for years so I put my faith in them. I sent them the information and they sent me back a swatch and the Bengal Yellow was a near perfect match. Lee however should probably answer that question.

I went back and forth about the Porsche stencil. You can't put vinyl back in the powder coat oven because it shrinks and we were afraid it wouldn't shrink evenly. We thought about powder coat and then using a stencil and then a high-temp gloss black caliper paint, which I think will be the next iteration of completion. The Bengal Yellow calipers have PORSCHE decals from Suncoast on them and then we went back over them again with a clear acrylic paint because I didn't want to bake them off after abuse at D/Es. I'm sharing all of my findings though with you guys as you can make them come out really really well. I was really impressed with how well the yellow ones came out with the stencil and everything. I think that all of our 3.8 Caymans will have a 4" lower rocker band going all the way around the car in a contrasting color to the base paint, that makes the calipers. If you see the car in my avatar, it has a black band around the entire bottom of the car and the calipers have been painted to match.

Maybe I'm going about it all the wrong way but I like the calipers that Porsche uses and I like them to look like they came on the car. I don't like running aftermarket anything when its visible to the naked eye or from above, so much to the point that i was chastised by a lot of people for running the PCCB red calipers in the 24 hours of Daytona. They worked like a champ!
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-25-2021)
Old 10-22-2013, 01:51 PM
981WC
Intermediate

To be frank, we're considering shifting the business plan to make BGB the Cayman resource center it needs to be so you guys drum up the interest and we'll crank them out!
As far as brake temps go, we use the powder coat because I am hesitant to use paint and sell these cars or work on these cars that have over $100K in them and send something that flakes off when you change your own pads or rotors and are working in the garage. No matter whether we paint them, powder coat them or if they're virgin from the dealer, the first time our cars go out on track and things get hot and our techs start bleeding brakes, the fluid runs down the caliper and it's stained forever. Brembo will also tell you that the factory paint, their paint, etc...the red paint can only stand up for an extended period of time for temperatures north of 500 degrees. We took a Cayman S to the Gran Prix de Trois Rivieres and the calipers went from red to rootbeer in 2 hours. I think I like powder coat because of it's durability. And it even happens cumulatively over time. If it takes 3 hours at 650 degrees to turn red to brown, if you run 2 hours one day and another 1 hour the following, the resulting shade is near similar. It's crazy.

NOW...what Brembo says is true, if they're saying that powder coating retains more heat than the alternative and yes, that statement is true. Would I think twice about powder coating a set of calipers I ran in a 3 hour endurance race? no! But would they run hotter? Anythings that has been smoothed, is polished or coated is going to retain a tick more heat than a rough finished aluminum. But to what degree? Ultimately you're doing this for aesthetics but is it going to cause you to boil your brake fluid? Most likely not. And if you're a track guy, you're going to put brake ducts on because you guys hear me say over and over and over again, that brake cooling on these cars is MANDATORY even if it's just the GT3 deflector shields from your local Porsche dealer.

The shop that I found near Jacksonville apparently did Brumos caliper painting for years so I put my faith in them. I sent them the information and they sent me back a swatch and the Bengal Yellow was a near perfect match. Lee however should probably answer that question.

I went back and forth about the Porsche stencil. You can't put vinyl back in the powder coat oven because it shrinks and we were afraid it wouldn't shrink evenly. We thought about powder coat and then using a stencil and then a high-temp gloss black caliper paint, which I think will be the next iteration of completion. The Bengal Yellow calipers have PORSCHE decals from Suncoast on them and then we went back over them again with a clear acrylic paint because I didn't want to bake them off after abuse at D/Es. I'm sharing all of my findings though with you guys as you can make them come out really really well. I was really impressed with how well the yellow ones came out with the stencil and everything. I think that all of our 3.8 Caymans will have a 4" lower rocker band going all the way around the car in a contrasting color to the base paint, that makes the calipers. If you see the car in my avatar, it has a black band around the entire bottom of the car and the calipers have been painted to match.

Maybe I'm going about it all the wrong way but I like the calipers that Porsche uses and I like them to look like they came on the car. I don't like running aftermarket anything when its visible to the naked eye or from above, so much to the point that i was chastised by a lot of people for running the PCCB red calipers in the 24 hours of Daytona. They worked like a champ!
Thanks very much for the in-depth response!

I think you've convinced me to do powdercoat versus paint! Should I tell the powdercoater I want Bengal Yellow since I want them to look the same color as the PCCBs?

And so are you saying that you had the calipers powdercoated and then after they were done you applied the PORSCHE decals and then sprayed a clear coat over that? Since powdercoaters usually aren't also a paint shop, I wonder if they'd even be able to do the clear coat after applying the decals for me? Looking for a single shop that will do it all and wouldn't really want to have to go to another shop to spray the clear coat, nor would I be comfortable using clear coat out of a spray can and doing it myself.
Old 10-23-2013, 09:58 AM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

I'm very happy with how the calipers turned out. The Bengal Yellow is a close match to my eye and the "Porsche" script stenciling came out great. I take care of my cars, but these things are going to get brake dust and road dirt on them anyway so they'll never look pristine unless you don't drive 'em.

Pic below isn't a closeup but hopefully gives you a better view of the caliper and car body.
Attached Images  
Old 10-23-2013, 11:00 AM
981WC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lee88
I'm very happy with how the calipers turned out. The Bengal Yellow is a close match to my eye and the "Porsche" script stenciling came out great. I take care of my cars, but these things are going to get brake dust and road dirt on them anyway so they'll never look pristine unless you don't drive 'em.

Pic below isn't a closeup but hopefully gives you a better view of the caliper and car body.
Looks great! Sadly though, everyone from online sources to Brembo to my Porsche dealership is telling me not to powdercoat the brakes and to paint them instead because powdercoat traps too much heat. I guess the biggest problem is that the shop who is going to take the brakes off for me won't even do it if I get them powdercoated because he's uncomfortable with fully breaking down the calipers and having to replace the seals. If they get powdercoated, the seals have to come out. But if they get painted, the seals can stay in for that and just be masked off.

By the way, how come you didn't coat the black bolt in the middle of the rear caliber? I was going back and forth about whether to coat that and I think I'm going to do it. Sticks out too much I think?

So you had the Porsche logo sentciled on and didn't use decals? How come?

I really wish I had plans to visit RI sometime soon because I'd love to just see your car in person. A 400HP 981 has got to be such an incredible machine! How's it sound? Can you create a video for us?
Old 10-23-2013, 11:09 AM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Lee's car got powder coat, then PORSCHE sticker, then a clear gloss over to protect it. This is currently under debate as I'm trying to get a set of guinea pig calipers done so that we can compare this method vs. powder coat and a high temp gloss caliper paint stencil.

I still have to reply to your PM about the road testing. We currently do not have one of these cars in the stable but hope to shortly for purposes such as this.

John
Old 10-23-2013, 11:22 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,265 Likes on 584 Posts

Wow. Looks FANTASTIC.
Old 10-23-2013, 11:23 AM
ZX9RCAM
Nordschleife Master

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Color me jealous....
Old 10-25-2013, 04:15 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lee,

Simply awesome! If you ever drive to Los Angeles, send me a PM and we'll tear up Mulholland Drive.

Aaron
Old 04-24-2014, 09:59 PM
Leverageconsult
Advanced

Default Resale?

Tomorrow I will be going to Porsche to test drive the Cayman S 911 S and the 911. Just wondering if I went with the base and got this package done would I be able to resell in the future for 20,000 more? I would hate to drop 20,000+ and lose every penny of it.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:04 AM
mr965
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
Tomorrow I will be going to Porsche to test drive the Cayman S 911 S and the 911. Just wondering if I went with the base and got this package done would I be able to resell in the future for 20,000 more? I would hate to drop 20,000+ and lose every penny of it.
Great question.
Old 04-25-2014, 02:36 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Leverageconsult
Just wondering if I went with the base and got this package done would I be able to resell in the future for 20,000 more?
No. You may get a little more for the conversion but certainly not the full amount invested. With almost any mod (or any option for that matter), you'll only recover pennies on the dollar when it's time to sell.

BTW, the conversion is $30,000+ now.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:05 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,402 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Originally Posted by the_vetman
No. You may get a little more for the conversion but certainly not the full amount invested. With almost any mod (or any option for that matter), you'll only recover pennies on the dollar when it's time to sell.

BTW, the conversion is $30,000+ now.
Agreed. Do if for yourself, not the next guy.

Quick Reply: Impressions of my 981 Boxster w/ BGB 3.8L 991S conversion