Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impressions of my 981 Boxster w/ BGB 3.8L 991S conversion

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 09:24 PM
lee88
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlcoupeg35
I would love to see more photos of your car in general and also know more about the 991 motor you have. Is it a BASE 3.8 or can you get the X51 stuff, Sport Exhaust (with button) option, etc. Also, forgive me if you stated it but can this be done with a PDK Car and is your car PDK?

Thanks so much for this write up!
It's the "base" 3.8L motor of the 991 Carrera S. I'm not sure if this could be done w/ X51 or sport exhaust, I imagine the latter would be tricky given the size/shape differences with mid-engine placement. But presumably there are or soon will be a wide variety of aftermarket exhaust options.

My car is a 6sp but I believe this can be done w/ PDK as well.

Originally Posted by meteor10
[

I gave BGB a base 981 Boxster with a 3.4L motor

I am confused, I thought the base 981 had a 2.7 liter motor.
Yes sorry typo, should read 2.7L not the Boxster S motor which would have been 3.4L like the 991 base.
Old 10-03-2013, 09:34 PM
hf1
Rennlist Member

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,122 Posts

Excellent work! Great post. The car looks gorgeous. Bare-bones, low-option, base 981 + a $21k 3.8L 'option' may be the best bargain in Porschedom and roadsterdom. Maybe Porsche will see the light if BGB started doing 200+ of these conversions a year.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:49 PM
fhp911
Rennlist Member

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

I agree with the others: thanks so much for sharing your story with us and it gives me something to think about as my 987 Boxster ages and I'm thinking about what to do next.
Old 10-04-2013, 07:02 PM
Noah Fect
Rennlist Member

Received 1,299 Likes on 886 Posts

Great price, too, when you think about it. Not much more than the X51 option on the 991s!
Old 10-04-2013, 09:50 PM
perfectlap
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You upgraded like a boss.

p.s.
aside from the master cylinder, what else from the GT3 (that doesn't cost as much as the donor car) can be potentially upgraded by BGB?
Old 10-05-2013, 01:04 AM
tcsracing1
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 172 Posts

Now this is a great way to spend money on hot rodding a porsche!

It is something on my wishlist.
Old 10-05-2013, 09:44 PM
Pearlcoupeg35
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lee88
It's the "base" 3.8L motor of the 991 Carrera S. I'm not sure if this could be done w/ X51 or sport exhaust, I imagine the latter would be tricky given the size/shape differences with mid-engine placement. But presumably there are or soon will be a wide variety of aftermarket exhaust options.

My car is a 6sp but I believe this can be done w/ PDK as well.
Thanks for the reply. This car with some fabspeed headers, GIAC tune, some other go fast goods and lightweight wheels and this thing would FLY! I am sure its already really fast. Very cool. I also like that you did a 6 speed. Super cool.

I would love to know if these guys could put a monster 3.8 inside my Cayman R???
Old 10-06-2013, 02:03 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,617 Likes on 2,306 Posts

^yes, bgb will put 3.8 in to cayman. in fact, they have done several already
Old 10-07-2013, 01:29 AM
switchface
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 44 Posts

So happy to see someone moving forward with this conversion. You're giving me ideas...bad bad ideas.

By the way, if BGB is following, big time congrats for sweeping the GX driver and team championship. Pretty cool to see an independent Cayman battle against factory backed Mazdas.
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-25-2021)
Old 10-07-2013, 05:15 PM
mickfluff
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Nice!

awesome project...nice job and nice major mod! Congrats and keep us posted...

I am in RI as well, if you ever get to Newport would love to see it.... we can take my RUF Turbo R Conversion and your Boxster 991 Conversion out for a ride!

again, nice write up and thanks for posting... I have to say these new 981 are amazing cars....
Old 10-10-2013, 05:24 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 597 Likes on 267 Posts

I would love to know if these guys could put a monster 3.8 inside my Cayman R???
Ladies and Gents,

First and foremost, I want to thank Lee for having the faith in us to do this work, for his patience during what was a very hard season running 3 cars and building more AND for his gracious writeup on the Rennlist.com site. I had to renew our sponsorship, so I apologize for chiming in late. I will attempt to answer all questions as best as possible per my recollection.

1. This job is somewhat really hard to do when trying to slam any type of 997.2 engine into a 987.1 car. A lot would be invested in pinning out control units, running the DFI pump, etc and therefore we have stayed away from crossing generations. If you have a 987.1, you need a 997.1 X51 swap and that's a cap of 385crank hp and 300lb/ft. The 997.2 engines are much more robust, reliable and worth the bang for the buck. The most power that you could deliver to a 987.2 would be with an X51 9A1 DFI engine. Lee's car gets the benefit of aggresive tuning from the stock 991 software and it's rated at 400 crank hp and 325 lb/ft of torque at the crank and as you can see from the dyno comparison to our 991, it's awful close. BUT withou a Motec dash, it's hard to control the variable intake runners that are really what make the X51 engine. The 997.2 "Power Kit' head is not really the CNC ported head we think it is. the valves aren't different nor are the camshafts. HOwever, the cost of the X51 engine core has come down from $25K to $12K. So that's promising.

2. We did dyno the first car. that dyno graph is attached. I was in a rush to get Lee's car back to him and I was not there to dyno it. The graph from the Cayman with the same parts however is attached.

3. Unfortunately Lee's DME is stock and is in need of a flash. It will be a few months still before the new 991/981 software from Siemens is hacked. When it is, all these cars need files. They're totally stock and the only reason I was able to crack the code on the tuning WITHOUT tuning is because the new cars use a MAP sensor, not a MAF sensor. Therefore, the ECU is even more ignorant to the fact that it has a fire breathing dragon in the hole as opposed to the little 2.7L DFI gerbil. Lee's car got air filters but is in need of a bigger throttle body, plenum and a race file. The first Cayman we built apparently wasn't powerful enough and that car's owner was kind enough to commission us to install the 991 Power Kit heads. NOW THAT IS A MOTOR. The heads are actually ported and it comes with bigger valves and a different cam shaft. It's a worthwhile job.

I appreciate the kind words and support from the people on here. If you have further questions, please call or write. I will try and chime in more often.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 06:45 PM
BGB Motorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 597 Likes on 267 Posts

Ladies and Gents,

First and foremost, I want to thank Lee for having the faith in us to do this work, for his patience during what was a very hard season running 3 cars and building more AND for his gracious writeup on the Rennlist.com site. I had to renew our sponsorship, so I apologize for chiming in late. I will attempt to answer all questions as best as possible per my recollection.

1. This job is somewhat really hard to do when trying to slam any type of 997.2 engine into a 997.1 car. A lot would be invested in pinning out control units, running the DFI pump, etc and therefore we have stayed away from crossing generations. If you have a 987.1, you need a 997.1 X51 swap and that's a cap of 385crank hp and 300lb/ft. The 997.2 engines are much more robust, reliable and worth the bang for the buck. The most power that you could deliver to a 987.2 would be with an X51 9A1 DFI engine BUT
withou a Motec dash, it's hard to control the variable intake runners that are really what make the X51 engine. The 997.2 "Power Kit' head is not really the CNC ported head we think it is. the valves aren't different nor are the camshafts. HOwever, the cost of the X51 engine core has come down from $25K to $12K. So that's promising.

2. We did dyno the first car. that dyno graph is attached. I was in a rush to get Lee's car back to him and I was not there to dyno it. The graph from the Cayman with the same parts however is attached.

3. Unfortunately Lee's DME is stock and is in need of a flash. It will be a few months still before the new 991/981 software from Siemens is hacked. When it is, all these cars need files. They're totally stock and the only reason I was able to crack the code on the tuning WITHOUT tuning is because the new cars use a MAP sensor, not a MAF sensor. Therefore, the ECU is even more ignorant to the fact that it has a fire breathing dragon in the hole as opposed to the little 2.7L DFI gerbil. Lee's car got air filters but is in need of a bigger throttle body, plenum and a race file.

I appreciate the kind words and support from the people on here. If you have further questions, please call or write. I will try and chime in more often.

Thanks.
Old 10-10-2013, 08:24 PM
lee88
Racer

Originally Posted by BGB Motorsports
the ECU is even more ignorant to the fact that it has a fire breathing dragon in the hole as opposed to the little 2.7L DFI gerbil
Ah, that's the technical term for the stock motor in the base Boxster...
The following users liked this post:
Al Allen (11-25-2021)
Old 10-20-2013, 04:36 PM
Drifting
Rennlist Member

Received 1,263 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by 2XIPA
Superb. Granted it's not a Ruf with a vin but BGB does mean something here in the states. Well thought out vision and execution - congrats.
What is an RUF with a VIN? Lee mentioned this in his original post, but I'm not sure what RUF refers too?
Old 10-21-2013, 08:28 AM
lee88
Racer

RUF is probably the best known tuner of Porsches. They both do aftermarket conversions and also manufacture "new" cars where they start with a fresh chassis from the factory and build it into full OEM RUF car. The latter carry a RUF VIN number, the aftermarket conversions still have their original Porsche VIN.
http://www.ruf-automobile.de/index.php?lang=en

Quick Reply: Impressions of my 981 Boxster w/ BGB 3.8L 991S conversion