Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 PCM Resetting with USB / Jukebox

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:29 PM
Jamoke
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 PCM Resetting with USB / Jukebox

I'm interested if anyone is also experiencing their PCM resetting on their 987 / 981s. I've searched other forums and don't think they apply to me. I have the Bose sound system (not Burmester)

I started noticing the problem after I started uploading music from a USB key to the onboard hard-drive (i.e. Jukebox). Occasionally, I would try to switch songs and the PCM unit becomes unresponsive like it's locked up. After a couple of seconds, the PCM resets and I see the Cayman logo and then the Porsche crest (or maybe the other way around).

This has only happened to me a few times, but always happened when I was either playing music from USB or from Jukebox.
Old 01-12-2014, 06:17 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I jsust came across this because I having the same issue on a 2014 991. Playing music from my USB stick, PCM would freeze and restart every few minutes. Pulled out the stick and played music from other sources and no issues. Ever figure anything out?
Old 03-15-2014, 06:57 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the same issue. Anyone take it in?
Old 03-16-2014, 12:09 PM
JeremyR
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I brought mine in. They installed new PCM software. Its happening less frequently but still happening. Seems to happen when I am playing specific music. Guessing it doesn't like some format, bit rate, etc
Old 03-17-2014, 02:14 PM
EbonyC4S
Rennlist Member

Default Uninitiated PCM reset

While on the road, talking on the phone, the call dropped & the PCM screen had gone blank. A few moments later, the screen displayed the start up logo. At the next stop, after turning the car off & restarting it, the PDK wouldn't shift out of 2nd in auto mode. Manual mode worked w/ the exception of 1st. I turned the car off again, waited a few minutes & restarted the engine. This time auto worked, but w/out 1st. The next morning, all systems seemed to be go.
The phone was plugged in when this happened & had been streaming Pandora Radio. That function wasn't affected.
Has anyone had side effects from PCM resets while driving?
Old 03-18-2014, 07:01 AM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Mine started with a reboot while playing music from the jukebox about a week after I started using it. It would work if I switched to the function and let it play, but if I changed tracks or anything the PCM would reboot. If I used the tuner or CD player no problem. Now after a couple more days it does the same thing in tuner mode as well as playing CDs. If I change any audio setting (including volume) after starting the car, the PCM will reboot about 30 seconds later. When it reboots it goes back to whatever it was doing when the car was started.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:09 PM
EbonyC4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, Flowmacks. Have you been able to resolve the problem?
Due to my car's multiple system reset - PCM & PDK, it would appear that there was a voltage drop that sent the tranny into a limp mode. The PCM issues resolved during the reset, but the PDK took several cycles to get back to normal. I'll post a new thread to see if anyone has more input.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:08 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Not yet. Can't get the car in until next week. Will post what happens.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:19 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

Dropped it off this morning. Called tonight to get the status. They just said the were "waiting to hear back from Porsche". So, they either have no idea what to do or they haven't even looked at it yet. Most likely both.
Old 03-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Flowmacks
Instructor

They couldn't replicate the fault, and it hasn't happened since I picked the car up last night. It used to reboot every 4 minutes. Weird. At least it's gone.

Now I need to take it back for the dashboard rattles.

Quick Reply: 2014 PCM Resetting with USB / Jukebox