Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E92 M3 to 981

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 02:10 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 115 Posts
Default E92 M3 to 981

Has anyone here came from an e92 m3 to a 981 cayman or boxster? If so what model did you get and what are your thoughts between the two. I just recently purchased an 2013 e92 m3 and have been thinking about making the jump to a Porsche. I am currently trying to decide between a boxster/cayman and s or no s. I have had about 5 different BMW's now and was looking to Porsche for a new experience. I just recently joined the board and look forward to future discussions. Thanks in advance
Old 07-01-2013, 04:21 PM
Dino944
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Never owned an M3, but I've driven a few BMWs. I you are driving an M3, you will want the "S," whether or not you go with a Boxster or Cayman.

I've driven BMWs, and they are nice. However, I love the feeling, and handling you get driving a mid engine car. Have you driven a 981S recently?

I currently have a 2008 Boxster RS60 (so its an S with a bunch of extras). I just spent 4 days and 600 miles behind the wheel of a 981S. The car is simply fantastic. It a gigantic improvement over the 987S. For the money, its a difficult car to beat in terms of handling, performance, and beauty.

I like the look of the new 981 Cayman S. Although, after a few years of having a convertible, I'm afraid I might miss the open air experience that a Boxster gives you. We bought ours never having owned a convertible before, and we love the top down driving experience. It just ads so much to the vehicle. If I were going to spend a lot of time on the track, then I might go with the Cayman. But go and drive each car and then decide what you like.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Old 07-02-2013, 12:36 AM
RobSpyder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time BMW guy here (still have one), but recently bought a Boxster Spyder and its the most fun drive I've ever owned. I highly recommend the Spyder or Cayman R.

It's a different kind of fun though. Less engine focused and more a weight/handling experience (700lbs lighter than the M3). The Spyder just begs to be thrown sideways at every corner. It's the most honest and direct steering and tranny I've had. Definitely go sport bucket seats and manual transmission. You'll love it.

***edit*** just saw the 981 part of your post. Oops. Most of what I wrote still applies. I drove both, but actually preferred the Spyder to the 981 S - more raw and exhilarating. I wasn't looking for a DD though, so if that's your goal, the 981 is a great car.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:06 AM
66mustang
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

If you have an M3 a S is a must. you will need the power.

The only person that can answer if a Cayman or Boxster is in your future is you. For me it is Boxster, i need the top open. If you could get a sunroof in a Cayman, then it would be a Cayman for sure. If you don't care about opening the top, then go with the Cayman.

Quick Reply: E92 M3 to 981