Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Boxster S

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 10:45 AM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
I do go South in winter but the Boxster sucks in deep water
You are right Captain oh Captain.. Boxster don't float since they removed the curves and went with the manly design. Congrats.. do enjoy your new ride.. just watch out for those sunny moments, apparently visors can't be yanked.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Waiting for a sunny day and I have to remember to bring a camera since my BB takes crappy pics, worse than an iPhone even Rain forecast for the next 4 days.
The iPhone is surprisingly good given the right time of day - early am or later pm. We're having outstanding driving weather out here. Love to see pics when you get them. I'm interested in the 981 and need to go drive one sometime soon.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:31 PM
got2go
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 39 Posts

A growing number of GT3 owners opting for a mid-engine alternative to the 991 it seems. Mine has almost an identical option list, with first track day coming up next month to give me time for some miles. I haven't had it anywhere near track limits, but the turn in and drive out with PASM/PTV is pretty sweet in the Colorado mountains. Its a very stable chasis and I can't really discern any flex at highway/road speeds. I'll probably upgrade only the brake fluid for my first track outting and upgrade the pads when the stockers die. My wife sure likes it better than the GT3, which is also a good thing... I think.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by got2go
A growing number of GT3 owners opting for a mid-engine alternative to the 991 it seems. Mine has almost an identical option list, with first track day coming up next month to give me time for some miles. I haven't had it anywhere near track limits, but the turn in and drive out with PASM/PTV is pretty sweet in the Colorado mountains. Its a very stable chasis and I can't really discern any flex at highway/road speeds. I'll probably upgrade only the brake fluid for my first track outting and upgrade the pads when the stockers die. My wife sure likes it better than the GT3, which is also a good thing... I think.
It does seem to be a trend. Actually I know many GT3 owners which also own Boxsters for the street, that seemed to be a very common trend for the Spyder.

It's funny how my wife loves the Boxster but doesn't really care for the previous sports cars I have owned.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:27 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,636 Likes on 2,318 Posts

Mooty, yeah, a Boxster or Cayman with a GT3 motor would be my first choice. I have heard rumors of a Cayman GTS in the future. No details.

Coolhand - the drone is there with PSE on or off. I think I need to be going over 80 MPH in 7th to get rid of the drone. Solution is to go manual and drive in 6th. Still, I am surprised. I wonder if these cars have the sound symposergizmo, maybe stuffing it with fiberglass would help ....
ok, im not insane for passing up991gt3 for maybe a cay gts
Old 05-11-2013, 08:39 AM
khooni
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I am not surprised by your choices. For the same price, I would go for a tuned Cayman with a Gt3 engine and porsche tuning. But re the Cayman GTS, if it did come out I would be tempted to swap the spyder for it.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:47 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Bob, having now driven mine in many situations, it is the most lithe, go where you point it without fuss car I have ever driven on the street. Won't hang with a 7-Cup, but far easier to drive.

Even my Boxster Spyder wasn't as stable at the edge as this one (sorry you Spyder guys, I know that's heresy, but drive one yourself).

The electronic steering s great, but road kick-back feels funny and is the only clue that something is very different. Read one fellow's statement that it understeers, but can't really find that in mine. Maybe I'm driving it wrong..

No PSE (loud exhausts are fine for a few minutes) and as with others here, do not find a drone problem.

No paddles here either, but on occasion have hit a button while wheeling and it does tend to negatively impact exit speed. This car can enter fast, turn in late and exit faster. It's an absolute snake with virtually no body roll. The wider track lowers rotation centers very well!

Here's something I do not really understand... PASM and PTV... especially when guys say these are mandatory, but then talk about the "experience" of a true manual transmission. Porsche made very adroit cars. Then certain manufacturers made bunches of electronic nannies. Porsche was late to the party, but as usual makes among the very best of systems However, when they kick in, they KICK IN and the driver cedes control, like it or not. The best drivers shut that stuff off as much as possible anyway. I found these systems bothersome but could understand them in my CTT, but the Boxster (and likely the Cayman) really don't need them. You can keep up with anyone in the twists just as she sits...
Old 05-11-2013, 02:50 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 221 Likes on 146 Posts

Here's something I do not really understand... PASM and PTV... especially when guys say these are mandatory, but then talk about the "experience" of a true manual transmission. Porsche made very adroit cars. Then certain manufacturers made bunches of electronic nannies.

Can't speak for PTV, but I'm in the camp where PASM should be standard with SS as an option. PASM technology is extraordinary since when you are taking a lesiurely drive, it provides you with a very comfortable ride, even with 20" wheels. But when you want a spirited drive, PASM will give you cornering capability second only to SS.
Sports exhaust is another must have option. When you are taking a lesiurely trip, PSE hardly makes its presence felt, but when you drive aggressively, you get the sporty sound that you expect from a sports car. PSE compares favorably with many after market exhaust systems that I have heard where you get one sound: loud.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:01 PM
Kevin Rohrer
Rennlist Member

Received 786 Likes on 514 Posts

On my car, the visor is locked in place and if you try and yank it out of the clip at the inboard end, you break it. Is my car an oops or are they all like that?
Yes, on my 2009.

Still awaitin' pictures.

Now you meet the qualifications to go to the BRBS.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:07 AM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Here's a picture. Stopped raining finally Aqua Blue with blue top and blue interior.
Attached Images  
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM
YourFace
Spark-plug-girl
Rennlist Member

Here's a picture. Stopped raining finally Aqua Blue with blue top and blue interior.
A che bella macchina ...
Old 05-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,268 Likes on 585 Posts

Wow! That's a killer ride. Cngrats.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:19 AM
ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That looks great
Old 05-16-2013, 09:53 AM
Overdraft
Rennlist Member

Received 389 Likes on 212 Posts

Traded my 997.2 tt cab for a Boxster S for my wife 2 weeks ago which is her daily summer driver. I in turn bought a 993tt with 22,000 miles on it which thankfully suits me MUCH more than the 997 TT. I was damned and determined not to drive 'her' car given it was a gift for my wife, but it is so much fun to drive I am having trouble keeping my hands off it - and man the new body on it really is special. There is a lot of car there and I am very happy with my decision - and way better value than the 991. I as well have heard of the pending Cayman/ GT3 set up for guys who want a stick and a little more visceral feel to which I will be a buyer given the delivery on this platform.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:09 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Bob, I looked at my sun visor last night and see why you were attempting to swing it to the side window. The attachment SURE looks like it should swing out.

Quick Reply: My new Boxster S