Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 Cayman base impression...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 11:41 PM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2014 Cayman base impression...

FWIW, I xposted this with another post I made earlier so as to offer my opinions to others considering a 2014 Cayman...

I had a chance to do a couple demo drives in a base model new Cayman this past saturday. It was Basalt black, black 14 way partial leather, bose and 20" Carerra classic wheels. Perhaps a few other bobs and such but relatively unadorned.

The drive included surface streets, a sort of 1/2 clover leaf and 2 intervals of highway speeds on average to less than average tarmac. I first did a "fit check" and was quite please that I did indeed fit. The right hand rear quarter visibility was, IMHO, exceedingly good. Liked the right mirror turndown on reverse.

Performance wise it was fun but not shockingly quick. It was PDK equipped with a mulit function steering wheel and while I GREATLY prefer the Sport Design wheel the features on the wheel were good in function.

Going from normal to sport mode was noticeable and I left it in sport and manual shift for pretty much all of both hops. The Bose stereo was at best adequately good. It was easily possible to overpower the base response of the speakers with a reference playlist on my Ipod I brought along. Treble response on the other hand was more than adequate for my needs and the surround sound function was noticeable. Overall volume levels were just barely suitable and I do not reckon the Bose to be a bargain but I would order it anyway as a sop for my audio needs. I would not personally consider an audio package that was in excess of 10% the base price of the vehicle on any auto, but that is just me. The aux connection was easily figured out solo as was the NAV function.

I took 2 12"x12x26" reference soft bags for the luggage fit check and the front baggage hold gobbled them with room to spare here and there. In back a reference bag plus another of about 3/4 the same size would fit easily without using the above engine space. BTW there are 2 side sliding top cubbies on either side of the engine cover that are rather deep though quite hard to reach while seated. Not sure if previous Cayman had them given this was my first experience with the model.

There was another earlier Cayman CPO version 3 cars down the lot and the visual difference to my eye anyway was dramatic. I greatly prefer the newer design. In person I think the car is much better looking in person and with the effectively raised center of the hatch redesign the car has been no less than transformed (again to my preference only) in a very pleasing way.

There were a 2010 997/2 S model next to it and down from that a 997 GTS 4 all in black. I preferred the visual appearance of the new Cayman shape though I must admit that a 2012 997.2 and 991S, both in white are in the running at this point in my shopping process. For the Cayman thus far, my preference would be white and either blue or black interior and possibly Agate grey with a black interior. As with anything, i could see another color I like, but black is definitely out, not because I don't like it, I do, it looks badass when clean and properly detailed, but I feel I become a slave to washing my ride in a black car and and living in the south, heat soak does become a factor in the warmer months.

From the inside it was easier to feel at home than a 991 relative to the outside of the car and other vehicles and in parking. I am certain with a small bit of time in the 911 model there would be no issue though.

Seat of the pants feel of this non sport chrono, non PASM car was quite good in the descending and nearly constant radius part of the 1/2 cloverleaf and the other 1/2 was ascending and decreasing in radius and I found myself pressing the car harder to get the "feel" and try and find hints of limitations. The car had 1750+ miles on it already and I did press accelerations a bit though, of course being in a major city, no hyper speeds were involved, I just was looking at the handling, acceleration, seat of the pants feel and the hard to define "rightness" factor of the platform.

I am certain that the S version with Sport Chrono, PASM and possibly PTV, the SD wheel and a few other elections of preference from the options list (likely premium plus for entry and drive and the vectoring xenon lights, ventilated seats, rear wiper, smokers package though I do not, painted exterior package, and a likely a few more bits and bobs) would meet my basic needs.

A 911 (either a 991 or very late model 997.2) would have the advantage in my not uncommon "power drives" of 1000+ miles in a day given the direct access to additional interior space and the ability to fold the seats back for a power nap for either the driver or passenger but the Cayman feels like a smaller more intimate vehicle. I do realize that measurements are within mere inches on either car but the Cayman feels like a sports car to me and the 991 (especially a C4s) feels much bigger and somewhat towards the GT end of the spectrum in overall feel.

I would greatly prefer the 3.8 engine of the 991S but as that is not likely for a year to 2 from now it is down to deciding whether I order a new Cayman, 991S (C2S or possibly C4S), or go with a value play and get a CPO or a well warrantied and optioned very recent 997.2 C2S or C4S and stew on the situation for a year or 2.

I realize many if not most here do not consider cross shopping a Cayman and 911 series, but I for 1 of perhaps a small minority that do. Again, it is just my personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

Such choices...

Be safe and thanks for the time.
Patty
Old 04-29-2013, 06:57 AM
trevor townsend
Instructor

Default Possible Cayman base model buy

Originally Posted by achildofthesky
FWIW, I xposted this with another post I made earlier so as to offer my opinions to others considering a 2014 Cayman...

I had a chance to do a couple demo drives in a base model new Cayman this past saturday. It was Basalt black, black 14 way partial leather, bose and 20" Carerra classic wheels. Perhaps a few other bobs and such but relatively unadorned.

The drive included surface streets, a sort of 1/2 clover leaf and 2 intervals of highway speeds on average to less than average tarmac. I first did a "fit check" and was quite please that I did indeed fit. The right hand rear quarter visibility was, IMHO, exceedingly good. Liked the right mirror turndown on reverse.

Performance wise it was fun but not shockingly quick. It was PDK equipped with a mulit function steering wheel and while I GREATLY prefer the Sport Design wheel the features on the wheel were good in function.

Going from normal to sport mode was noticeable and I left it in sport and manual shift for pretty much all of both hops. The Bose stereo was at best adequately good. It was easily possible to overpower the base response of the speakers with a reference playlist on my Ipod I brought along. Treble response on the other hand was more than adequate for my needs and the surround sound function was noticeable. Overall volume levels were just barely suitable and I do not reckon the Bose to be a bargain but I would order it anyway as a sop for my audio needs. I would not personally consider an audio package that was in excess of 10% the base price of the vehicle on any auto, but that is just me. The aux connection was easily figured out solo as was the NAV function.

I took 2 12"x12x26" reference soft bags for the luggage fit check and the front baggage hold gobbled them with room to spare here and there. In back a reference bag plus another of about 3/4 the same size would fit easily without using the above engine space. BTW there are 2 side sliding top cubbies on either side of the engine cover that are rather deep though quite hard to reach while seated. Not sure if previous Cayman had them given this was my first experience with the model.

There was another earlier Cayman CPO version 3 cars down the lot and the visual difference to my eye anyway was dramatic. I greatly prefer the newer design. In person I think the car is much better looking in person and with the effectively raised center of the hatch redesign the car has been no less than transformed (again to my preference only) in a very pleasing way.

There were a 2010 997/2 S model next to it and down from that a 997 GTS 4 all in black. I preferred the visual appearance of the new Cayman shape though I must admit that a 2012 997.2 and 991S, both in white are in the running at this point in my shopping process. For the Cayman thus far, my preference would be white and either blue or black interior and possibly Agate grey with a black interior. As with anything, i could see another color I like, but black is definitely out, not because I don't like it, I do, it looks badass when clean and properly detailed, but I feel I become a slave to washing my ride in a black car and and living in the south, heat soak does become a factor in the warmer months.

From the inside it was easier to feel at home than a 991 relative to the outside of the car and other vehicles and in parking. I am certain with a small bit of time in the 911 model there would be no issue though.

Seat of the pants feel of this non sport chrono, non PASM car was quite good in the descending and nearly constant radius part of the 1/2 cloverleaf and the other 1/2 was ascending and decreasing in radius and I found myself pressing the car harder to get the "feel" and try and find hints of limitations. The car had 1750+ miles on it already and I did press accelerations a bit though, of course being in a major city, no hyper speeds were involved, I just was looking at the handling, acceleration, seat of the pants feel and the hard to define "rightness" factor of the platform.

I am certain that the S version with Sport Chrono, PASM and possibly PTV, the SD wheel and a few other elections of preference from the options list (likely premium plus for entry and drive and the vectoring xenon lights, ventilated seats, rear wiper, smokers package though I do not, painted exterior package, and a likely a few more bits and bobs) would meet my basic needs.

A 911 (either a 991 or very late model 997.2) would have the advantage in my not uncommon "power drives" of 1000+ miles in a day given the direct access to additional interior space and the ability to fold the seats back for a power nap for either the driver or passenger but the Cayman feels like a smaller more intimate vehicle. I do realize that measurements are within mere inches on either car but the Cayman feels like a sports car to me and the 991 (especially a C4s) feels much bigger and somewhat towards the GT end of the spectrum in overall feel.

I would greatly prefer the 3.8 engine of the 991S but as that is not likely for a year to 2 from now it is down to deciding whether I order a new Cayman, 991S (C2S or possibly C4S), or go with a value play and get a CPO or a well warrantied and optioned very recent 997.2 C2S or C4S and stew on the situation for a year or 2.

I realize many if not most here do not consider cross shopping a Cayman and 911 series, but I for 1 of perhaps a small minority that do. Again, it is just my personal opinion and not meant to offend anyone.

Such choices...

Patty
Going to have a test drive of both base with sport chrono and S models this Thursday.
I have been driving my 94 993 NB for the last 5 years and think that at my age (74) a PDK might be an option. wife refuses to drive the 993 and might be more ready to use a Cayman. I'll report back.
Thanks for such an exhaustive review. It was useful.
Cheers.
Old 04-29-2013, 10:09 AM
aussie jimmy
Rennlist Member

i sat in one on the weekend.
i prefer the old one better.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:43 PM
Pcar944
Rennlist Member

I wanted to hate the looks... but failed. Its gorgeous.

So how does it compare to the old one?
Old 05-09-2013, 10:08 PM
stujelly
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by achildofthesky

Such choices...

Patty
The new cayman is that good. Alot of people comparing 911 to new cayman.

It all depends on what you can afford.
Old 05-11-2013, 02:30 AM
achildofthesky
Instructor

Stujelly:

Fo me anyway it is not a matter of $ but what gives me the most entertaining experience. I have quite a range of porsches on my slate of wants but the CS w/PDk and more acronimmetry so far is a nice comfy fit. 991 Cs, Great C4S, better yet (to me) but they feel somewhat, ahem, large as compared to the 981 CS. I am well aware the dimensions are within mere inches or less but the CS feels like a sports car and the 991 (and I do love it too) just feels, well larger. I know I am an odd duck in comparing these cars but I call 'em like I see 'em...

YMMV though, such is the great thing in life called choice...

Be safe and absolutely NO offense intended in any way to any ones choice or preference

Patty

Last edited by achildofthesky; 05-11-2013 at 02:32 AM. Reason: syntax or lack thereof and the fact it is late...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:27 AM
whiteNSXs
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

I drove the PDK versions of new Cayman, Cayman S, Carrera 4, and Carrera 4S today at Sears Point. The Cayman S is simply a brilliant car. I was driving all 4 in full automatic mode. The PDK kept itself in the right gears all the time. I do not see a future for the full manual stick shift given the current developments of PDK.
Steve
Old 05-18-2013, 11:13 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've had my new 2014 Cayman S for about 2 weeks now and although I haven't really pushed it I can say that the PDK is simply brilliant (smart & crisp) and the 325 hp 3.4l motor is plenty for this platform. It's so much more refined (ie. smoother, tighter, quieter, etc) than my old 2005 997S. It just might be the extra 5" of wheelbase and/or the fact my 997S was close to entering it's 9th year life.

I was concerned that I would feel 'confined' in the cabin (I'm 6'1") compared to my old 997 but to be honest it offers a very spacious feel. The head room is so much more than my 997; maybe because there is no sun roof and the Adaptive Sport Seats seem to have a lower mounting point.

I'll provide more feedback as time goes by but right now I'm convinced I made the right choice.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:29 PM
964Heaven
Banned

Originally Posted by AP997S
I've had my new 2014 Cayman S for about 2 weeks now and although I haven't really pushed it I can say that the PDK is simply brilliant (smart & crisp) and the 325 hp 3.4l motor is plenty for this platform. It's so much more refined (ie. smoother, tighter, quieter, etc) than my old 2005 997S. It just might be the extra 5" of wheelbase and/or the fact my 997S was close to entering it's 9th year life.

I was concerned that I would feel 'confined' in the cabin (I'm 6'1") compared to my old 997 but to be honest it offers a very spacious feel. The head room is so much more than my 997; maybe because there is no sun roof and the Adaptive Sport Seats seem to have a lower mounting point.

I'll provide more feedback as time goes by but right now I'm convinced I made the right choice.

COULD YOU LIST YOUR OPTIONS, DID YOU GET SPORT CHRONO....
Old 05-20-2013, 06:19 PM
AP997S
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 964Heaven
COULD YOU LIST YOUR OPTIONS, DID YOU GET SPORT CHRONO....
Option List:

Cayman S
White/Black
AJ Black std int. Sport seats
840 Sport Design steering wheel
658 Power Steering Plus
640 Sport Chrono Pkg (i.c.w. PCM)
603 Bt-Xenon# headlights with PDLS
475 PASM
446 Wheel caps color Porsche crest
427 20 inch Carrera Classic wheels
250 Porsche Doppelkupplung (PDK)
P9G lnfotnmt Pk w BOSE@ SurSnd Sys
P9C Premium Pkg w/ 18 way seats
PO7 Adapt. Sport Seat Pls (18-way)

Quick Reply: 2014 Cayman base impression...