Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by kpg1945
Thanks, Charlie C. I think that's what I will do as well. When you did have the car sitting idle waiting for dry clean roads, did you also over inflate the tires or just do the battery maintainer?
I only did the battery maintainer. I've never done the over inflate thing and hace not noticed any problem. Others may have more info. on that.
Old 11-27-2012, 02:39 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

I get Afshin's explanation. That made sense. I'd still hate to be without my cars for that long though.

RE: storage. There are many articles and recommendations online, many specific to Porsches. Overinflating to 50 psi is fine for most tires. It'll prevent flat spotting, though most flat spots will disappear once you drive a few miles (unless the car's been stored for years or something like that).

Remember to put appropriate amount of Sta-bil in a full tank of gas. Lesser amounts will lead to condensation inside the tank, and eventually corrosion/rust. Ethanol in the gas is also not that good for various components if allowed to sit there for long. Remember Sta-bil... you do NOT want gas to go stale.

Make sure to get a battery MAINTAINER vs. charger. Some batteries have been known to literally explode from prolonged charger use. People recommend a bunch of other stuff: dessicants in the passenger compartment, etc.

Last edited by the_vetman; 11-27-2012 at 12:19 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 08:15 PM
gfl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aside from the question "why?" here's what matters

For the record i have snow tires on mine and run it all year long, without ill effect.

1. don't run it at all. If you do run it, it must be run enough to get the engine up above boiling for 10-15 minutes to boil off moisture and fuel generated by cold starts. Basically, starting it is bad, if you do, run it a long time. Maybe the best balance is to take it out once a month for a 30 minute drive on a sunny day.

2. Stabilize the fuel

3. Pump up the tires, or better yet, put it on blocks. If you leave it on its tires, move it about (by hand, don't start it, remember?) occasionally to avoid flat spots. Truth is most flat spots will go away, but why chance it?

4. Do something to keep mice out of the exhaust and the interior. This can be a challenge. I recommend cats.

Grant
Originally Posted by kpg1945
Took delivery of a 2013 Boxster this year, plan to put it away for the winter, and need some tips. I got the Porsche battery maintainer, but need advice on the rest of the drill. Tire pressures, moving the car from time to time....etc. Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Winter