Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 USA launch car specifications

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Llarry
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 981 USA launch car specifications

Two weeks away from launch reception/first test drives at my dealership.

My impression is that PCNA specs identical cars (one each base and S?) for each dealer and those will be the cars at the dealerships for the launch. Does anyone have any insight as to what the specifications/options will be on those cars? Is this some kind of hush-hush thing to build excitement?
Old 06-14-2012, 08:21 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,737 Likes on 950 Posts

Good question... Looking forward to driving it the day after! I already have a reservation to do so.
Old 06-15-2012, 01:12 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No surprises... If i recall dealers(mine at least) were given the option of color. Most of the options are likely the same. Ours is/has

Silver/Black
PDK
SC
PASM
INFO and Premium.

~80k msrp. We plan on keeping it for months as we are sold through all current allocation.

Casey
Old 06-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Casey how many allocations did you guys get and in general what size is your dealer in relation to others.

Are you seeing higher demand for the 981 vs the 991 when it was introduced or about the same?
Old 06-15-2012, 01:38 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Afshin, it has PTV as well.

We are second in our region consistently and 80% of our business is order to spec. 981 Demand has been higher than 991. The press scared people interested in the 991 to begin with but since people started seeing/driving cars they are now in demand and we are sold through october. 981 is a fantastic car as the price really didnt change(it only did if you start putting the new info/performance options) and it looks way upmarket. I have been lucky enough to have a lot of seat time and with my photography skills and excitement for the car was able to translate that into a mostly sold out inventory.

I have always been a mid engine guy, personally sold 6 spyders and 7 cayman r's so porsche was happy to reward us with a larger 981 allocation. Internet haters will hate until they drive/experience the car...
Old 06-15-2012, 04:37 PM
sjfehr
Drifting

Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

We haven't gotten any in locally yet I'm really looking forward to driving this car!
Old 06-16-2012, 03:21 AM
the_vetman
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by cparkin
Internet haters will hate until they drive/experience the car...

Amen to that! Though I'm waiting for the right Spyder to come along... It sounds like I should've spec'd it from you from the beginning!

Interesting that 981 has been gathering more interest than 991.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:40 AM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by the_vetman
Amen to that! Though I'm waiting for the right Spyder to come along... It sounds like I should've spec'd it from you from the beginning!

Interesting that 981 has been gathering more interest than 991.
The 981 is a more approachable car to a lot more enthusiasts... It now looks like a 100k+ car, drives like a 100k+ car, is more confident at speed, handles better and it 2x the car of it's most direct competition. It is really a win win win win win... W/the added rigidity over the old car it really is special. One of my better clients(hint - has a X51 Spyder and builds 500+ whp Caymans) is more excited about this new 981 than just about anything in the past decade that Porsche has made... It is just frustrating to see people tear the car apart on the internet when they have not driven or likely will not drive it because of what one or 2 people say. Haters be hating.

Casey
Old 06-16-2012, 12:08 PM
n4v4nod
Rennlist Member

Received 1,737 Likes on 950 Posts

It is just frustrating to see people tear the car apart on the internet when they have not driven or likely will not drive it because of what one or 2 people say. Haters be hating.
...Their loss.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:54 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Afshin, it has PTV as well.

We are second in our region consistently and 80% of our business is order to spec. 981 Demand has been higher than 991. The press scared people interested in the 991 to begin with but since people started seeing/driving cars they are now in demand and we are sold through october. 981 is a fantastic car as the price really didnt change(it only did if you start putting the new info/performance options) and it looks way upmarket. I have been lucky enough to have a lot of seat time and with my photography skills and excitement for the car was able to translate that into a mostly sold out inventory.

I have always been a mid engine guy, personally sold 6 spyders and 7 cayman r's so porsche was happy to reward us with a larger 981 allocation. Internet haters will hate until they drive/experience the car...
Casey thank you for the reply and observations. I'm not surprised with the higher 981 demand and I have a feeling that it will remain a hit throughout the production cycle. When you think about it, many of the long time Porsche owners (mainly 911 owners) have considered the Boxster somewhat feminine. I personally thought that changed with the introduction of the 987 although I always felt that the horsepower needed to be above 300 to be a real contender. When the Spyder was introduced there was no doubt that it was masculine and it had the horsepower to back up the looks. The 981 is even more masculine and the performance of the S model is now knocking on the door of the 911 and many other high performance exotics. With the 911 moving even closer to a GT car the enthusiasts will need an alternative. The GT3's are great but realistically they are designed for and belong on the track. That leaves the 981...unless of course Porsche has a higher end mid engined, sports car.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:17 PM
cparkin
Rennlist Member

Couldnt have said it better myself. I am a mid engine guy, grew up with a 718 RSK poster on my wall. It has always been what I wanted. Porsche is going to make this 960 car which will be an amazing ride... still a few years off though. Attached is a photo of what is on my credenza behind my desk... I make no excuses! You need to feel a spyder that has been massaged by my client. Doesnt get much more exciting than that. His 981 should be epic!

Last edited by cparkin; 04-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:59 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Casey thank you for the reply and observations. I'm not surprised with the higher 981 demand and I have a feeling that it will remain a hit throughout the production cycle. When you think about it, many of the long time Porsche owners (mainly 911 owners) have considered the Boxster somewhat feminine. I personally thought that changed with the introduction of the 987 although I always felt that the horsepower needed to be above 300 to be a real contender. When the Spyder was introduced there was no doubt that it was masculine and it had the horsepower to back up the looks. The 981 is even more masculine and the performance of the S model is now knocking on the door of the 911 and many other high performance exotics. With the 911 moving even closer to a GT car the enthusiasts will need an alternative. The GT3's are great but realistically they are designed for and belong on the track. That leaves the 981...unless of course Porsche has a higher end mid engined, sports car.
Well said as usual....

Quick Reply: 981 USA launch car specifications