Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is an aftermarket warranty worth the high price?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2024 | 05:08 AM
Dana R
Rennlist Member

I'm a geezer who's owned over 60 cars over my few centuries and want to offer my 2 cents, not so much for the OP but for young enthusiasts here. My wife and I have probably turned down well over $50k worth of extended warranties over the years, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's over $100k. At a certain point I realized that I had been self-insuring all along, and we've been lucky to not have had one catastrophic failure. Many of our cars have been used BMWs, so I would have had to actively seek out warranties. Over the years, the savings multiply because I was always able to save each year to invest in the market. My wife and I were able to retire in our 50s in part due to this type of financial decision. If you are naturally risk averse, after one repair disaster that would have been covered, you will tend to want to always buy warranties after that unfortunate incident. It's hard, but in the long run everyone is better off avoiding these huge money maker aftermarket warranties.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dana R:
Oldboy52 (09-20-2024), Titanium5150 (09-14-2024)
Old 09-14-2024 | 09:26 AM
AngeloGTS
Rennlist Member

I actually just get the extended warranty for the piece of mind. That way I do not feel bad about driving the car a lot, nor pushing it, especially using it at the track.

I have made a few smaller claims already.
Old 09-14-2024 | 02:42 PM
reidc
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrMoose
I don't think paying for an extended car warranty ever really makes sense. It's insurance, and insurance only makes financial sense when you're insuring something where the cost of repair or replacement could be unaffordable (e.g., your house burning down, or liability from an auto accident or the like)
100% this. To run a profitable business, they need still need to cover the actual repairs, plus the hassles of taking payments, processing claims, paying out...

.... and then the minor details of advertising, running a business, paying employees, paying taxes, turning a profit...
Old 09-18-2024 | 05:44 PM
Prevail1
Rennlist Member

I know Michael chimed into this thread already. I bought my first aftermarket warranty (Fidelity) earlier this year through him after purchasing my 981 GT4, he was great to work with and the warranty has already paid for itself with one claim. I'm an avid DIYer, but figured I'd buy one to be safe. I'll definitely be doing it again on my next "expensive" car through him.
The following users liked this post:
SteingoldVolvoCars (09-18-2024)
Old 09-21-2024 | 02:20 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

I would not pay that much for 5 years but I paid around USD4k for 10 years and 100k miles. Just the peace of mind regarding the PDK was worth paying that money, especially because I am planning to keep the car for that long.
Old 09-23-2024 | 03:24 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Is it PDK or not? If PDK - than the sensor fail can cost you about that, so you'll be even. So I'd still cancel. And make sure they specifically have a class to cover the PDK, all of it.

If not, than def not worth it, not even close. My 981S Boxster costed me less than $3K after factory warranty ended (HPFP fuel pump failure). That's 11 years of ownership and 80k miles now.
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Last edited by t-design; 09-23-2024 at 03:25 PM.

Quick Reply: Is an aftermarket warranty worth the high price?