Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter Tires Sizing

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2024, 07:06 PM
steel619
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Winter Tires Sizing

Hi everyone,

Recently picked up a 981 Cayman 2.7L with 20" Carrera S wheels. Current stock wheel/tire specs are:

Front: 20x8 ET57 mounted on 235/35/20
Rear: 20x9.5 ET45 mounted on 265/35/20

Being in Canada, I am beginning to look for a winter tire set for the cold months and am having some difficulty determining what size rims/tires I can downsize to. Ideally I'd like to go to 18". I was able to locate a set with the following:

Front: 18x8 ET50 mounted on 225/45/18
Rear: 18x8 ET50 mounted on 245/45/18

Can the community let me know if this set will fit with no issues/rubbing? I am on standard suspension, so no PASM and no X73. I have checked the "willtheyfit" websites and tire calculator websites and the tires look like they will fit with less than 3% variance to the speedometer, but I am more worried about any issues I may run into with the offset and new width of the 18" rims. I also checked the Apex website that lists a few of the preferred sizes and measurements, but the exact same specific measurements mentioned above are not included.

If possible, can one let me know what the offset range and max or even minimum width I can play around with in 18" is? I am not looking to add any spacers or roll any fenders, etc. Just want to have a second dedicated 18" set for winters that will give me no issues via plug and play. Obviously a set that came off of a previous 981 would be my best bet, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks very much!

Last edited by steel619; 07-18-2024 at 07:13 PM.
Old 07-18-2024, 11:03 PM
dps214
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 43 Posts

Those should work fine but will look weird with the front wheels sticking out an extra 7mm and the rears being inset by basically a full inch.
Old 07-19-2024, 08:00 AM
TEF
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Do you really have to drive your Porsche in Canadian winters? I recognize that it may be your only option, but aside from the added expense of wheels and tires, your car will suffer from the effects of pot holes, road salt and sand that typically go with winter roads. These will take a toll on aluminum suspension and brake parts. They will also be tough on paint. There will be responders claiming how well a Porsche drives in snow, but that does not address the potential damage to your car.
Old 07-19-2024, 11:12 AM
asellus
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,288 Posts

Driving in any weather will hurt your car, just keep up with maintenance and you'll be fine. Cars are made to be driven, they won't melt in the weather.

Old 07-19-2024, 01:45 PM
steel619
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dps214
Those should work fine but will look weird with the front wheels sticking out an extra 7mm and the rears being inset by basically a full inch.
Thank you for clearing that up!

Originally Posted by TEF
Do you really have to drive your Porsche in Canadian winters? I recognize that it may be your only option, but aside from the added expense of wheels and tires, your car will suffer from the effects of pot holes, road salt and sand that typically go with winter roads. These will take a toll on aluminum suspension and brake parts. They will also be tough on paint. There will be responders claiming how well a Porsche drives in snow, but that does not address the potential damage to your car.
Fortunately (or not, depending how you see it), I am in Vancouver where we get more rain than snow/ice. It really only snows 3 or 4 days a year here. I understand and appreciate your concern, I am looking to get a dedicated set of winters more for the cold ambient temperature and rain that we endure. I did also share your sentiments but I bought a vehicle to enjoy and it would be doing myself a disservice if I parked it 6 months of the year. If we do get snow more than 3" or roads are unplowed, I wouldn't think of driving the Cayman, though. I am also prepared to wash or at least spray the undercarriage of the car any time there is salt or grime on the roads.
Old 07-19-2024, 06:42 PM
Kevin CS
Rennlist Member

Received 300 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by steel619
Hi everyone,

Recently picked up a 981 Cayman 2.7L with 20" Carrera S wheels. Current stock wheel/tire specs are:

Front: 20x8 ET57 mounted on 235/35/20
Rear: 20x9.5 ET45 mounted on 265/35/20

Being in Canada, I am beginning to look for a winter tire set for the cold months and am having some difficulty determining what size rims/tires I can downsize to. Ideally I'd like to go to 18". I was able to locate a set with the following:

Front: 18x8 ET50 mounted on 225/45/18
Rear: 18x8 ET50 mounted on 245/45/18

Can the community let me know if this set will fit with no issues/rubbing? I am on standard suspension, so no PASM and no X73. I have checked the "willtheyfit" websites and tire calculator websites and the tires look like they will fit with less than 3% variance to the speedometer, but I am more worried about any issues I may run into with the offset and new width of the 18" rims. I also checked the Apex website that lists a few of the preferred sizes and measurements, but the exact same specific measurements mentioned above are not included.

If possible, can one let me know what the offset range and max or even minimum width I can play around with in 18" is? I am not looking to add any spacers or roll any fenders, etc. Just want to have a second dedicated 18" set for winters that will give me no issues via plug and play. Obviously a set that came off of a previous 981 would be my best bet, but beggars can't be choosers.

Thanks very much!
I'd highly recommend getting a used set of 18" OEM wheels in the proper sizes and with the proper offsets for your winter setup. I have a set of OEM "Cayman III" wheels (see below) that I bought used from a forum member for a very fair price that I use for mine. The front wheels are 18 x 8 ET 57, the rears are 18 x 9 ET 47, and I have a set of Michelin X-Ice Snows on them in 225/45 18 and 255/45 18 (I went with 225s in the front because the tires weren't available in 265 for the rear in 18").

I've been very happy with this setup for several winters (like Vancouver, there's more rain here in the winter than snow, and I bought them primarily so I didn't have to run my 20" Pilot Sport 4S's in the cold. Also, like you, if there's more than 3 inches of snow on the ground, my Cayman stays in the garage. I use my wife's car).

I posted a "wanted" ad in the marketplace here and the wheels found me within a week or two. You can also post a wanted ad on pca.org (assuming you're a PCA member); I found my 20" Carrera S III wheels through a wanted ad there.

Winter Setup
Old Yesterday, 11:53 PM
Jlappppp
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

I ran GT4 spec/size Michelin winters on my 981S for one winter (245 front/295 rear) in Vancouver area.
I didn't actually drive it in the snow, just had them on for the cold temps to drive when it was too cold for summers. INCREDIBLE traction in the wet.
They're on a set of forged 20x9/20x11 wheels. Likely not the direction or price you're looking to go with, but if you're interested send me a message, I was planning on selling them.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires Sizing