Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PSE - valve open vs closed vs stock non-PSE

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:35 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 65 Posts
Default PSE - valve open vs closed vs stock non-PSE

I have wanted PSE on my 2014 CS since I bought it in 2020. It has been out of stock for the last couple of years. It is now back in "stock", so I was finally able to order it. I installed it last week and did the install and programed the button myself. I used the Thinkdiag to program the button. It is up and running and sounds great!
My question is in the sound difference from when it is activated and when it is off. I can barely tell the difference. It sounds like it is on all the time. The quiet mode is closer to the open sound than it is to my old stock non-PSE mufflers. I have checked the valves to make sure they are opening and closing correctly, and they appear to be.
How much difference is everyone else hearing that have the PSE? How much difference is there supposed to be between the non-PSE and the PSE in quiet mode?

Valve closed

Valve open
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
CaptainSlowly
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

the difference is pretty minor, definitely louder than the non-PSE exhaust
Old Today, 12:39 AM
nhnguy12
Rennlist Member

Received 600 Likes on 219 Posts

The difference was pretty minor with stock headers + PSE. It became much more apparent once I installed longtube catless headers.
Old Today, 12:39 AM
Cayman Ed
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a PSE but did not bother installing the switch so it is open all the time which I actually like very much.
I tested the PSE valve closed once by putting a spring to hold the lever in place and if my recollection is still good, idle is only very slightly louder than non-PSE but maybe more than 10% when PSE valve is open at idle. Higher RPM and WOT is of course night and day.
PSE is still my best mod to date.
Old Today, 02:40 AM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 249 Likes on 153 Posts

Is PSE worth it for the base boxster? I heard it makes absolutely sense for the S models but the base models have already a great sound and it is not worth spending all the money for the PSE.
Old Today, 11:53 AM
Dana R
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
Is PSE worth it for the base boxster? I heard it makes absolutely sense for the S models but the base models have already a great sound and it is not worth spending all the money for the PSE.
I installed the PSE on my 987 Spyder and I left the valve open 100% of the time. It's the "right" loudness and tone to my ears. A much cheaper way to get that is with the Carnewel exhaust modification, and that is probably what I'll do to my base Cayman, which already has a much better sound than my Spyder did with stock exhaust.
Old Today, 02:59 PM
Cayman Ed
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
2.7L will even sound better with PSE
The following users liked this post:
Ernest72 (Today)
Old Today, 03:19 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Cayman Ed
2.7L will even sound better with PSE
Mine did for sure. And now it sounds even better with long tube headers. I love the PSE.
The following users liked this post:
Cayman Ed (Today)
Old Today, 03:33 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 167 Likes on 65 Posts

So, if I'm understanding the replies correctly, when you have PSE, there isn't much difference in sound from when the valves are open or closed. Also, the PSE with the valves closed does not sound like having a stock non-PSE exhaust. Correct?
Old Today, 05:59 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by boxdriver
So, if I'm understanding the replies correctly, when you have PSE, there isn't much difference in sound from when the valves are open or closed. Also, the PSE with the valves closed does not sound like having a stock non-PSE exhaust. Correct?
Partially true.
  • The PSE open vs close sound is not much different at idle and light load conditions, and lower RPMs.
  • At moderate throttle conditions the closed sound will be somewhat quieter, but only if RPMs are under ~3300 or so (I may be a bit off here).
  • Under full throttle they will sound the same except for the short period of time it takes for the DME to recognize the condition and get the valves open. In On mode the valves are always open. In Off mode the valves will open under full throttle, but that might be RPM related as well. Perhaps someone else can chime in on that.

Quick Reply: PSE - valve open vs closed vs stock non-PSE