Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No more ICE Cayman after 2025 - impact on 981 value?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2024, 01:05 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 102 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike981S
I think Geely with Polestar and its Chinese EV brands could be faster with an electric Lotus sports car than they were with the Emira. But right now they seem to be concentrating on the EV SUV market with the Lotus Eletre (which I think is made in China).
Ya I think the Eletre is made in China. They also have the Emeya. Saw those in person about 2 months ago in china, and they are quite nice
Old 07-26-2024, 05:36 AM
KAuss
3rd Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BondJ
Nothing specific regarding the 718 but maybe ICE Boxster/Cayman is not dead…yet
There are a ton of articles like a couple weeks ago stating the 718s are gone. I highly doubt that they've been silent on this the whole year, only to release a statement a couple weeks ago stating for fact they're done mid 2025, only to back out a couple of weeks after disclosing it. I have no doubt 718s are gone, but they might have the Cayenne, and 911 variants still around. Heck even the GT3 is gone. I'm not going to keep my hopes up, but to see Porsche make a 718 EV when both 718s and EVs are horrible by the numbers individually, and they think it'll do well when you put them to together is baffling to me. Porsche is trying to solve handling for EVs to make the feel like ICE cars with the 718. That's not a problem for today. The problems with EVs today has nothing to do with handling. They aren't selling because of a myriad of other reasons, none of which is fixed by handling better. They are taking a car that has been quoted by reviewers to handle even better than the 911s, and have been benchmarks to other sports cars to measure by be worse in handling by making it EV. So they're making neither the 718 or EVs better in this case. They've already saw the backlash from the F4 turbo sound compared to F6, and now they're going to make a silent 718 LOL. I just don't see the light at the end of this tunnel for Porsche. They will just have to ride into the sunset with the 911s that's left I guess.
The following users liked this post:
Randy_B (07-26-2024)
Old 07-26-2024, 11:11 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike981S
...Note that Porsche is fairly proud of the fact that their Zuffenhausen factory lines can now mix productions of EVs and ICE and hybrid cars. That should give them some flexibility in adjusting based on demand.
I think going Hybrid first, on the way to full EV makes the most sense.
Would be a more natural progression until the charging infrastructure, battery tech and regulations catch up with reality.

Quick Reply: No more ICE Cayman after 2025 - impact on 981 value?