Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st POST - HOWDY

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2024, 10:58 PM
willyv235536
3rd Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1st POST - HOWDY

New to this site but have been a long time Boxster Owner.
Recently I totaled my 987 and I am back in the hunt and happen to track down a 981-S that hopefully will be mine this coming week. I had a question on one of the options that come on this 981... Option code [840] sportdesign pdk steering wheel in leather w/shift paddles & audio/on board computer controls. What exactly is the audio/on board computer controls? I get the steering wheel but are the talking about the menu lever behind the steering wheel?

I did try searching on this forum but hit nothing...

Thanks
Old 07-11-2024, 05:30 PM
swftiii
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Welcome back and to the 981 variant.

I believe it is the multi-function steering wheel as without that the wheel has no volume or computer control capability.

post pics once you have picked up the new wheels.

-Skip
Old 07-11-2024, 09:26 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by willyv235536
Recently I totaled my 987 and I am back in the hunt and happen to track down a 981-S that hopefully will be mine this coming week. I had a question on one of the options that come on this 981... Option code [840] sportdesign pdk steering wheel in leather w/shift paddles & audio/on board computer controls. What exactly is the audio/on board computer controls? I get the steering wheel but are the talking about the menu lever behind the steering wheel?

Thanks
I have the option 840 Sport Design steering wheel with PDK paddles in my 2014 Cayman S (see picture). It is not a multi function wheel and has the 4th stalk on the column (lower right stalk) to control the display and function of the multi function display in the instrument cluster. I have the PCM3.1 (option P9G) Infotainment Package Bose system. The 4th stalk also controls many of the PCM functions including the jukebox ,audio modes (radio station selection, track selection)some phone functions and car settings but not volume control. The PCM controls all of the audio, audio modes, phone, maps, Navi, radio, jukebox SAT and volume control l. It also controls some of the Sports Chrono functions including G-force display and chrono timing functions. I am not sure if the 4th stalk is what you are referring to as audio/on board computer controls, but that would be my guess???
Jim

Last edited by Jim981CS; 07-13-2024 at 12:15 PM.
Old 07-15-2024, 11:24 AM
willyv235536
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by willyv235536

Thanks
Thanks for the replies. As it turned out I did not settle on the the 981S i had my eye on mainly because the convertible top was non functioning and dealer was as slimy as he was non negotiable. I did however find this 981BASE in Florida with 55K on the OD. Picked her up on Friday, drove her home to Wisconsin. What a fun drive. No question on the steering wheel on this it was straight forward.

The following 2 users liked this post by willyv235536:
Larson E. Rapp (07-16-2024), Mike981S (07-16-2024)
Old 07-15-2024, 04:22 PM
boxdriver
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 73 Posts

The car looks nice. I like the yellow accents on the interior. Enough, but not too much.
It's great to see that you were not afraid to go halfway across the country to find what you wanted and then drive it home. It's a great way to get accustomed to your new ride and find any issues it might have. I went 600 miles and 5 states to pick mine up. Not as far as yours, but still a fun way to learn the car. I hope you found a few fun roads on the way home. I'm in SD so I know how slim the pickings are for Porsches in our part of the country.
Since you started this thread about a steering wheel, I just thought I would mention a 718-style wheel looks really good in the 981 and takes years off the styling. You can get them with the audio buttons and paddle shifters which are more fun in my opinion since you have the PDK.

Old 07-15-2024, 06:05 PM
willyv235536
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by boxdriver
The car looks nice. I like the yellow accents on the interior. Enough, but not too much.
It's great to see that you were not afraid to go halfway across the country to find what you wanted and then drive it home. It's a great way to get accustomed to your new ride and find any issues it might have. I went 600 miles and 5 states to pick mine up. Not as far as yours, but still a fun way to learn the car. I hope you found a few fun roads on the way home. I'm in SD so I know how slim the pickings are for Porsches in our part of the country.
Since you started this thread about a steering wheel, I just thought I would mention a 718-style wheel looks really good in the 981 and takes years off the styling. You can get them with the audio buttons and paddle shifters which are more fun in my opinion since you have the PDK.

That mod is actually 2nd on my list. 1st Mod has to be the tail pipes. Not a fan of the oval pipe. Looking at Cargraphics black enameled.

The following 2 users liked this post by willyv235536:
boxdriver (07-15-2024), Mike981S (07-16-2024)

Quick Reply: 1st POST - HOWDY