Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Subwoofer power tap

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2024, 07:39 AM
cjrhoades
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Subwoofer power tap

I'm looking to add a subwoofer to the trunk of my Cayman which has a 300W RMS amplifier. I'd like to avoid running additional wiring through the front bulkhead if possible so I'm wondering if there's a good interior power source to tap into that can handle the additional load. I have pulled the fuse for the OE Bose subwoofer so maybe that would be an option?
Old 06-19-2024, 08:39 AM
DriverDaily
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 81 Posts

I used the passenger side junction under the carpet. This is 6awg cable and a factory fuse.

The following users liked this post:
cjrhoades (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 09:27 AM
boxdriver
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
I used the passenger side junction under the carpet. This is 6awg cable and a factory fuse.

Is that located in the trunk, under the seat, or in the footwell?
Is L1 your amp wire, or which one did you tap into?
Is this a switched power source or is it always live?
Do you know how many amp fuse feeds this line?
Any details you have helps. I am also toying with the idea of adding a sub.
Thanks,
Old 06-19-2024, 09:28 AM
cjrhoades
Racer

Originally Posted by DriverDaily
Thanks! I'm assuming it's the 4th one up from the bottom in your photo? Where did you source the fuse? Or was there already one in that location? Also is this a switched power source or is it always on?
Old 09-12-2024, 10:34 AM
boxdriver
Racer

@cjrhoades , where did you end up tapping your power from? We never go an answer from @DriverDaily on the specifics of his location. I am looking at doing the same. Do you have any photos of your subwoofer setup?
Old 09-12-2024, 10:36 AM
cjrhoades
Racer

Originally Posted by boxdriver
@cjrhoades , where did you end up tapping your power from? We never go an answer from @DriverDaily on the specifics of his location. I am looking at doing the same. Do you have any photos of your subwoofer setup?
Haven't done it yet. Been waiting on my speaker order from SCR (they finally shipped this week) and it’s been too hot in my garage to work on it anyway. Probably will dig into next month when it’s a little cooler.
Old 09-13-2024, 06:32 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Found it! It is in the footwell on the passenger (right) side. I didn't have a fuse in the 4th place up like @DriverDaily did, but I had an unused one on the 5th place up, so I used that one. I placed my sub amp under the back of the passenger seat. I was hoping that it would fit in the well under the seat, but there wasn't enough room next to the Bose amp. Now I just need to make the box for the sub. I was hoping that I could fit it behind the passenger seat, but that looks too tight because I have to push the seat up and it makes it so you can't stretch your legs in that seat. So, I will have to take up about 1/3 of the rear trunk.

The following users liked this post:
cjrhoades (09-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Subwoofer power tap