Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you keep 14 Cayman S w bore scoring

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2024, 05:27 AM
Colorado Cauman
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you keep 14 Cayman S w bore scoring

Recently purchased a cayman S from carmax. 59k miles and mostly interior options. Carmax isn’t my first choice of dealers but the price was10k better than similar cayman s postings and it has the wheels and color I was looking for. Got the extended warranty through Maxcare.

I did a PPI after purchase since carmax has a 30 day return policy. Mechanic found bore scoring in the engine. They didn’t elaborate on severity. I’m thinking what happened is the last owner discovered the issue and was outside of warranty so they traded it. Driving it around the only symptom I’ve picked up so far is sooty tailpipe.

I told dealer about the issue and they’ve said they won’t rebuild or replace the engine yet since it hasn’t failed but that once it throws a code or engine starts losing compression maxcare ‘should’ cover the issue. I was planning on daily driving the car and I’m not too concerned about a more frequent oil change interval.

I’m still within the 30 day return window they have. Would you return it or ride it out? I love the car and have experienced an engine rebuild on my last two cars so I’m not unfamiliar with the headache of shipping an engine off for six months. This also isnt my only car. But I’m balancing that against the fact this is supposed to be my daily for the immediate future, and it’s a ticking time bomb on the engine (and my guess is pdk probably wasn’t properly serviced either if the engine is showing this kind of wear).
just trying to get some perspective on what others would do in this situation. Thanks
Old 05-12-2024, 11:00 AM
tomekz
Racer

Received 295 Likes on 112 Posts

sooty tailpipe is somewhat expected for direct injection engines. Can't just go by that. Mechanics found bore scoring but didn't tell about severity, that's odd.

When I got my car with 23k miles, I also had pretty bad - sooty tailpipes, even had like blob spots all over the rear bumper. About 6 bottle of Chevron Techron Concentrate Plus Fuel System Cleaner and the blobs of sooth over the bumper or gone and the tail pipe is still dirty but not as much as it used to be. Now at 40k miles the car does not any issues and the sooth isn't getting any worst.

Originally Posted by Colorado Cauman
Recently purchased a cayman S from carmax. 59k miles and mostly interior options. Carmax isn’t my first choice of dealers but the price was10k better than similar cayman s postings and it has the wheels and color I was looking for. Got the extended warranty through Maxcare.

I did a PPI after purchase since carmax has a 30 day return policy. Mechanic found bore scoring in the engine. They didn’t elaborate on severity. I’m thinking what happened is the last owner discovered the issue and was outside of warranty so they traded it. Driving it around the only symptom I’ve picked up so far is sooty tailpipe.

I told dealer about the issue and they’ve said they won’t rebuild or replace the engine yet since it hasn’t failed but that once it throws a code or engine starts losing compression maxcare ‘should’ cover the issue. I was planning on daily driving the car and I’m not too concerned about a more frequent oil change interval.

I’m still within the 30 day return window they have. Would you return it or ride it out? I love the car and have experienced an engine rebuild on my last two cars so I’m not unfamiliar with the headache of shipping an engine off for six months. This also isnt my only car. But I’m balancing that against the fact this is supposed to be my daily for the immediate future, and it’s a ticking time bomb on the engine (and my guess is pdk probably wasn’t properly serviced either if the engine is showing this kind of wear).
just trying to get some perspective on what others would do in this situation. Thanks
Old 05-12-2024, 12:12 PM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 222 Posts

It's very odd for a mechanic to "find scoring" but say zero about its description or severity.
Every single shop I've seen find scoring on M96/M97's (not 9A1's) has pictures and narrative.
Old 05-12-2024, 12:53 PM
bldn10
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts

"once it throws a code or engine starts losing compression maxcare ‘should’ cover the issue"

I sure wouldn't rely on this. If you can't get a commitment from Maxcare in writing by someone who has authority to bind them, send it back.

The following users liked this post:
stasha (05-17-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 04:13 PM
Colorado Cauman
5th Gear

Alright I’ve got some follow up with the mechanic and the dealer to do. I’ve only put a few hundred miles on the car so I haven’t really driven it long enough to see if the oil level is dropping.
Old 05-12-2024, 04:19 PM
Kancamagus
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 53 Posts

Absolutely not. Clearly you need more information from the scope report. The problem with this paradigm is twofold: First you know that you have an internal engine issue which degrades your enjoyment of ownership. Second, what if you never throw a code and want to sell the car, or it fails after coverage expires.
Not to mention the uncertainty of how an eventual failure would be handled by the insurer, and you already mentioned that it would be your DD, and potentially be OOS for months.
The following 2 users liked this post by Kancamagus:
FINZ (05-16-2024), Kaybat (05-13-2024)
Old 05-12-2024, 07:39 PM
Titanium5150
Instructor

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

How reputable is the mechanic that performed the PPI?

It's very unusual to see bore scoring on a 981.
Kaybat (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 12:38 AM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 999 Posts

What is oil usage? Do you know?

Mechanic is a bit suspect at this point without any reference point or additional information.

Exhaust soot is totally normal on this car. Don't worry about that.

Old 05-13-2024, 04:09 PM
Colorado Cauman
5th Gear

Thank you everyone for your input. I reached out to the mechanic again, a small indie shop that specializes in older Porsches, and asked for more information. I've not used them before and their reputation within the community is unknown to me. All I can tell is they have good google reviews for whatever that's worth. They sent back is the attached picture. Engine internals are outside my area of automotive knowhow. How bad is this scoring?

As for the oil situation, the service records of the car show that of the previous owners, owner 1 and 3 seem to have had regular maintenance. Owner 2 has no reported maintenance for over 20k miles. I was hoping he had done services like oil changes himself, but give the inspection I don't think that's the case.
Old 05-13-2024, 05:08 PM
SnowmanMafia
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

That looks very minimal compared to pictures I've seen online of older cars where this issue was prevalent.

I'll let others chime in though.
tomekz (05-13-2024)
Old 05-13-2024, 06:11 PM
tomekz
Racer

Was it just one cylinder? do you know which one?

Thank you everyone for your input. I reached out to the mechanic again, a small indie shop that specializes in older Porsches, and asked for more information. I've not used them before and their reputation within the community is unknown to me. All I can tell is they have good google reviews for whatever that's worth. They sent back is the attached picture. Engine internals are outside my area of automotive knowhow. How bad is this scoring?

As for the oil situation, the service records of the car show that of the previous owners, owner 1 and 3 seem to have had regular maintenance. Owner 2 has no reported maintenance for over 20k miles. I was hoping he had done services like oil changes himself, but give the inspection I don't think that's the case.

Last edited by tomekz; 05-13-2024 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:47 PM
Colorado Cauman
5th Gear

They inspected cylinder 3. They stopped the PPI after finding the scoring. If I want something more comprehensive I'm going to have to go somewhere else.
Old 05-13-2024, 06:58 PM
SnowmanMafia
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

They just stopped inspecting...? That's weird, I hope they gave you a discount on the fee since they didn't do a full PPI
Old 05-13-2024, 07:11 PM
Colorado Cauman
5th Gear

Originally Posted by SnowmanMafia
They just stopped inspecting...? That's weird, I hope they gave you a discount on the fee since they didn't do a full PPI
They did, but at this point I wish they would have just done the full thing because now I have to look at a new PPI with someone else as I'm not a fan of how little information they have been giving me.
Old 05-13-2024, 07:34 PM
tomekz
Racer

Another issue is that to know the full condition, you really need to scope it from the bottom (removing the oil pan). I don't think most places will do that. Going the spark plug route isn't telling the whole story.

They did, but at this point I wish they would have just done the full thing because now I have to look at a new PPI with someone else as I'm not a fan of how little information they have been giving me.

Quick Reply: Would you keep 14 Cayman S w bore scoring