Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you keep 14 Cayman S w bore scoring

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 11:56 AM
A432
Rennlist Member

Received 375 Likes on 222 Posts

I've seen similar looking light lines in other types of engines before, primarily motorcycle engines.
The assumption is one of two things, assembly/intake/oil/combustion contamination or a cold seize. (assuming proper assembly clearances)
These are usually short term that only leave a light line, probably not feelable with a nail/plastic pick and usually don't cause issues if temporary. (many of us might be surprised to find superficial lines)
A cold seize is where someone with a cold engine introduces heat rapidly, expanding the forged piston beyond the clearance before the block can warm and expand.
If you look closely, you can see the cylinder metallic structure under some of the lines relating that it's superficial. That's generally not the case with typical Porsche scoring.
Obviously it's up to you how far you want to go but here's a brief talk and more pics similar to your situation. Cylinders 5/6 are somewhat concerning but yours is more like 1-4.

Porsche Cylinder Bore Scoring - Our Thoughts On This - The Simple Truth - Atlantic Motorcar Center

The following 3 users liked this post by A432:
Randy_B (05-14-2024), subshooter (05-14-2024), tomekz (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 12:30 PM
subshooter
Rennlist Member

Received 2,173 Likes on 999 Posts

I just read that same article ^^.

If there is little or no oil consumption and no puff of blue smoke on startup, I wouldn't worry about it. The internet has a way of making you think that little problems are big problems.
The following 2 users liked this post by subshooter:
Randy_B (05-14-2024), tomekz (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 01:33 PM
Nashvegas
Racer

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I'd return it OR before doing so, perhaps get someone who actually knows how to communicate with customers to do a proper PPI and pay for it.

What did the shop say? Bore scoring so return it?
Old 05-14-2024, 04:42 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

I work on dirt bikes and have scoring issues all the time. that looks like typical ring marks to me.

As an example, this is a Honda CR250 I am working on. Cylinder has only a few hours on it, on a bore scope this would look terrible but these marks are smooth and don't even catch your fingernail.

The following users liked this post:
Randy_B (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 07:36 PM
TEF
Instructor

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

On one side, you paid for a PPI and the report is vague, but not positive. However, the engine can be rebuilt (with possible 6-month wait) and the cost covered by an existing maintenance waranty. It's also 10K less than others you looked at. On the other side, Carmax is offering a chance to return this vehicle at no financial loss. Is this Cayman S the only one ever made in this color and with the wheels you like? Could there be a reason why Carmax is offering this Cayman S so cheaply? Wouldn't it be preferable to buy a Porsche to drive rather than repair? Until your 30-day window closes, you have the chance to hang on to your money and (in time) buy another Cayman without the potential for serious mechanical issues.
TMc993 (05-15-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 08:55 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 162 Likes on 107 Posts

When in doubt get out. There are other cars.
stasha (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 10:03 AM
stasha
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OK ok ok...
Here's your bottom line: You know there is scoring and it will bother you the rest of your ownership! So, get rid of it while you can. Face it, no car is a forever car "...I will NEVER get rid of it -- this is the ONLY car I will ever love" Not.
There are too many other cars out there to love.

BUT, if you never knew there were score marks, you would be happy as a clam, and hence THAT is the problem.
Just like the IMSB boogaboo in the 996 Porsches, when the specter of scoring was first raised, all of a sudden it became the fatal blow for the species. ...and like the IMSB situation, it became an unwarranted boogieman that spread unwarranted panic throughout the Porsche nation. It was incredible how it became a knee jerk reaction to a NOTHING problem. Ohhhh yah, there were loud voices shouting their personal catastrophic experiences, and plenty of dire-warnings from "scientific minds" speaking of hell and damnation if the pending problem was not immediately corrected (to the tune of thousands of $$$, mind you). And, of course, there were the conspiratorialists who provided unending "proof" that the Porsche Company was covering up the problem and was refusing to acknowledge the IMSB as a problem -- even though Porsche continued to produce the 996 for 8 or so years.
In reality, the IMSB situation was not a problem for the average 996 owner (we owned 3 in the past -- never a problem).

I have taken apart a lot of non-Porsche engines that died for other reasons (like body damage and old age), and many/most had some type of bore scoring. It never was a problem for a DD. ONLY when one is aware of a defect, does it become a problem.

If you got a REALLY good deal on the car (which I really doubt if it was from a dealer), you COULD consider keeping it -- but the knowledge of having the "fatal bore scoring" is going to haunt you throughout your ownership -- even though it will likely never be a cause of engine failure for you.
maschinetheist (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 02:49 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 195 Posts

I think a lot of people forget that a car is more than its engine. They aren't making any more 981s and they aren't going to. The similar cars that they do still build are seriously flawed compared to their predecessors... either that, or they are so expensive that they are inaccessible to most enthusiasts and offer a poor value proposition to the rest.

If you want a modern two-seater with an NA flat six, your options are a used 981 or a new GT4, Spyder, or GTS 4.0. The latter cars make a bore-scored 981S look like the bargain of the decade. If the car is otherwise a good fit for your desires, and if there are no other showstoppers, I would suggest using the 'bore scoring issue' to drive down the price, and go for it. Sure, you might get stuck with an engine rebuild job... but now you have the perfect excuse to upgrade it!
The following 2 users liked this post by Larson E. Rapp:
maschinetheist (05-17-2024), Randy_B (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 09:26 PM
redlightrich
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

That picture does not show bore scoring as we know it in our Porsche world. If you are nervous, exercise your escape clause. I would not worry about those marks. If you want absolute perfection, buy a brand new car. Even it will show marks in the cylinder soon enough. Metal against metal does that.

Good luck whatever you decide

Rich
The following 2 users liked this post by redlightrich:
jwalz1 (05-18-2024), Randy_B (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 12:53 PM
jwalz1
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That pic does not bother me either. If the car is solid and I liked it, I'd keep it. I have 32,000 on my Cayman S, and I expect it to last a long time, but if they told me tomorrow the engine was on its way out, I would prepare to do one of those 4.0 custom jobs or something similar.

I have never heard of someone finding a minor issue and stopping a PPI. I mean, what if the seller is giving you a hard time returning and it ends up in court or arbitration or something and you need to itemize the problems? My Macan had a recent PPI, they found the rear washer pump did not work, it needed an alignment, and the rear pads were near toast. When they find something, you are paying them to keep looking.
The following 2 users liked this post by jwalz1:
Randy_B (05-27-2024), redlightrich (05-30-2024)
Old 05-27-2024, 06:24 PM
rezilient
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can speak about personal experience with a Carmax Maxcare warranty. I had it on my 2015 BMW M4. They are very good about honoring the warranty and paying out. As long as you can find a shop that will work well with Maxcare you’re fine. I had them do a valve cover gasket job, it wasn’t leaking that badly, total job was close to $3000 and I only paid my deductible ($500). If you got a solid deal on the car I’d say keep it, enjoy it and if it seems like its burning oil or see white smoke, take it in ASAP.

Quick Reply: Would you keep 14 Cayman S w bore scoring