Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with first Porsche purchase

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 06:18 PM
richlux
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neutrino
I think CPO is much more common to be a 718. The 981 is at this point a 10 year old car with probably 40k+ miles on it, so dealerships are less likely to certify it. If you really want a CPO, you may also look for 718.

I actually had a pretty tough choice just 3 months ago - a manual CPO 2017 718 Cayman base with 12k miles, vs a 54k mile 2015 981 Cayman S, PDK (not CPO). At roughly the same price (about $1k difference) 😅
I should have been more specific. I've been looking at both 981 and 718 (982) Caymans The CPO ones have all been 718s. The main issue is that I want a Manual transmission. Given we're talking about Porsches, I would have thought that there would be more manuals than PDK available, but it's like 10 to 1 the other way around. I guess you went with the 981 S based on your post above. Were you not worried about the headliner and/or door card issues?

Rich
Old 04-27-2024, 08:45 PM
neutrino
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by richlux
I should have been more specific. I've been looking at both 981 and 718 (982) Caymans The CPO ones have all been 718s. The main issue is that I want a Manual transmission. Given we're talking about Porsches, I would have thought that there would be more manuals than PDK available, but it's like 10 to 1 the other way around. I guess you went with the 981 S based on your post above. Were you not worried about the headliner and/or door card issues?

Rich
Yes, I guess manual is less common. I went with the 981 S. I didn't know about such issues, but I had a PPI done, and all was fine. I had general concerns with the high mileage, but as I explained elsewhere, the mileage is just a number, it does not take anything away from the driving experience or the aesthetics, you just pay more in maintenance. Same for the CPO - it does not add anything to the experience, you just pay less in maintenance. So these two are part of the cost, not the value of the car.

I say if you find the right manual car, no mechanical issues, and passes PPI, just go for it 😅

Last edited by neutrino; 04-27-2024 at 08:49 PM.
Old 04-28-2024, 02:34 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 253 Likes on 167 Posts

Usually 981 is quite reliable, so the high mileage should not be a deterrent, if the car is looking good.

I would suggest to go for an S as a main criteria. IMO base power in 981 is quite embarrassing for a sports car in 2010s..... S has adequate HP, but still on a lower limit, nothing excessive
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

The following users liked this post:
Anzac (05-10-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:50 PM
richlux
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by t-design
I would suggest to go for an S as a main criteria. IMO base power in 981 is quite embarrassing for a sports car in 2010s..... S has adequate HP, but still on a lower limit, nothing excessive
I haven't test drove an S, because I'm sure I will like it better and I really don't want to pay the premium for it given that prices are crazy right now.
Rich
Old 04-29-2024, 12:32 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by t-design
... IMO base power in 981 is quite embarrassing for a sports car in 2010s.....
Wow. Way to disrespect Base Cayman owners.
If I need a new phone mount or a cup holder I'll definitely skip the t-design9 website.

I haven't test drove an S, because I'm sure I will like it better and I really don't want to pay the premium for it given that prices are crazy right now.
Rich

Yeah don't worry about it.. Get what you want/can.
My last mountain/canyon run was sandwiched between a 2019 Carrera S and a 2021 Carrera 2S followed by a Carrera 4S.
My Base Cayman and I kept the pace up just fine. None of the drivers asked me to get out of the way or drop back. we were haulin' a$$ thru those twisties.

Old 04-29-2024, 12:58 PM
Cosmo Kramer
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 79 Posts

My first car from this platform was a 1999 base Boxster. I had a 928 with a 5L V8 and a 1999 911 Coupe previously. The Boxster would absolutely decimate the other two on any road that was remotely twisty. The car was a 2.5 and it knew how to make the best out of its measly 200 hp. You could floor it in almost any situation and it would never go squirrelly, just point and shoot. If you want a car for straight line acceleration, there are better choices, but most of them don't have the magic of the balanced mid engine design that handles so well and puts the power down so effectively.

Last edited by Cosmo Kramer; 04-29-2024 at 01:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 01:19 PM
richlux
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
My first car from this platform was a 1999 base Boxster. I had a 928 with a 5L V8 and a 1999 911 Coupe previously. The Boxster would absolutely decimate the other two on any road that was remotely twisty. The car was a 2.5 and it knew how to make the best out of its measly 200 hp. You could floor it in almost any situation and it would never go squirrelly, just point and shoot. If you want a car for straight line acceleration, there are better choices, but most of them don't have the magic of the balanced mid engine design that handles so well and puts the power down so effectively.
Exactly! Don't get me wrong, more horsepower is always welcomed, but I want a Cayman mainly for the twisties, not the drag strip.
Rich
Old 04-29-2024, 01:22 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 157 Likes on 102 Posts

Base cayman owner here and I can say. The car is not embarrassing but certainly underpowered. All caymans are on purpose and certainly compared to traditional straight line cars. This is not a straight line car, although pulls are fun. This car is made for curves and twisty mountain roads. A tune wakes up the throttle response and headers gives you some more torque down low but it’s really for sound.

IMO. The base with a manual would be the most engaging and fun on the street, just trying to keep those revs above 5k for the sound and torque. I honestly don’t want a more powerful car, it would only keep me from revving it out because the speeds would be much higher for the street. I have a pDK and regularly get to 7600 rpm with big smiles maybe going 80-90 mph. No need to go faster. I mean I go 90 mph in my wife’s Lexus is300 and it feels like 50mph, that’s no fun.

slow car fast is the most fun. Tried and true. If you are tracking and your lap time means something to you, well then high power can only help, get the S.
Old 04-30-2024, 01:17 PM
CarDoc24
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Delete

Last edited by CarDoc24; 04-30-2024 at 03:24 PM.
Randy_B (04-30-2024)
Old 04-30-2024, 04:11 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 242 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Cosmo Kramer
...If you want a car for straight line acceleration, there are better choices, but most of them don't have the magic of the balanced mid engine design that handles so well and puts the power down so effectively.
Exactly! Don't get me wrong, more horsepower is always welcomed, but I want a Cayman mainly for the twisties, not the drag strip.
Rich
Originally Posted by Ernest72
...This [the Cayman] is not a straight line car, although pulls are fun. This car is made for curves and twisty mountain roads.
For the twisties:

For Off-The-Line and going straight:

But it can handle the twisties too!

Ernest72 (04-30-2024)

Quick Reply: Help with first Porsche purchase