Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2024, 05:24 PM
kherman
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top

Anybody familiar with this? Convertible top on 2013 Boxster periodically stops during opening/closing. Continues and works fine when I activate again. But I'm worried that some day it won't and I'll be stuck with top halfway (or so) open. Is it destined to fail at some point? My diagnosis is that it is haunted.

But I'm hoping somebody has an idea that's a bit more sophisticated than that.

Thanks for any helpful input.
Old 04-11-2024, 10:21 PM
Larson E. Rapp
Pro

Received 420 Likes on 256 Posts

Do a forum search on microswitch -- this sounds like the same problem reported several times earlier. As I understand it, it's one of those problems where the parts are cheap and the labor is relatively spendy.
Old 04-12-2024, 11:15 PM
dav9515
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

/\ this exactly... it's a microswitch issue, parts are about $250 labor minimum $1k as the entire convertible top needs to be removed from the car to replace. Once it's done top will work fine, speaking from experience. My local dealership didn't want to do the job, ended up having it done at a fantastic Indy with great results. They had done a couple in the past and didn't hesitate to take on the job, seemingly common on the early boxsters and yet my local dealer said they had never done the job and didn't want to do all that labor when unsure it would fix the problem. I appreciated their honesty even though i was 98% sure it would in fact solve my issues, so I bit the bullet and had the Indy do the work and it was perfect afterwards.
Old 04-13-2024, 10:05 AM
ramiy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kherman
Anybody familiar with this? Convertible top on 2013 Boxster periodically stops during opening/closing. Continues and works fine when I activate again. But I'm worried that some day it won't and I'll be stuck with top halfway (or so) open. Is it destined to fail at some point? My diagnosis is that it is haunted.

But I'm hoping somebody has an idea that's a bit more sophisticated than that.

Thanks for any helpful input.
Microswitch, happened to me, got it replaced, car was under extended warrenty

Quick Reply: Convertible top