Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super cheap DIY remote PSE valve controller

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2024 | 05:14 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Does anyone know if these could be used with an external button instead of the remote? I just purchased the PSE for my Cayman and am wondering if I could use the stock exhaust button in the center counsel to control the valves. That would save me a 6-hour drive and 1 hour Porsche service fee to not have to have them program the PSE after I install it. I am using all my HomeLink buttons so that is not an option, and I don't want to have to use the remote. My kit is coming with all the parts including the counsel button. I can handle tearing the interior apart to install it and then it will look factory and as Forsa355 stated, I would have full control over when it is on or off and not be subject to the computer programming. I would use the vacuum off the engine instead of the pump. Maybe the PSE switch doesn't operate like a standard switch, and it wouldn't work to control anything else. Any advice or other options would be appreciated.
Old 04-06-2024 | 09:14 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Originally Posted by boxdriver
Does anyone know if these could be used with an external button instead of the remote? I just purchased the PSE for my Cayman and am wondering if I could use the stock exhaust button in the center counsel to control the valves. That would save me a 6-hour drive and 1 hour Porsche service fee to not have to have them program the PSE after I install it. I am using all my HomeLink buttons so that is not an option, and I don't want to have to use the remote. My kit is coming with all the parts including the counsel button. I can handle tearing the interior apart to install it and then it will look factory and as Forsa355 stated, I would have full control over when it is on or off and not be subject to the computer programming. I would use the vacuum off the engine instead of the pump. Maybe the PSE switch doesn't operate like a standard switch, and it wouldn't work to control anything else. Any advice or other options would be appreciated.
I have the soul valve controller and I linked the key fobs with my home link. So I can turn it on and off with the home link buttons. I have a guy looking into modifying the stock Porsche PSE. Button and connecting it to the key fob. Work is in progress, but I know it won’t be that easy. It will work like stock except the button on will be valves closed, the default when the car turns on is valves open.
Old 04-07-2024 | 12:44 AM
forsa355
Track Day

Originally Posted by boxdriver
The remote controls for these valve controllers (and the Soul one) have an "on" button and "off" button. The factory PSE button is a single button that toggles on/off position. So it would be difficult to get the PSE button to drive these aftermarket valve controllers. You'd have to do some programming of a device like an Arduino to translate one button push to an on/off. I had the idea of taking one of the remote fob controllers, gut it and then 3d print some kind of bracket that fits in the cigarette lighter cubby thing on the console. I'll probably do it eventually but too many competing projects going on right now
Old 04-07-2024 | 12:50 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Originally Posted by forsa355
The remote controls for these valve controllers (and the Soul one) have an "on" button and "off" button. The factory PSE button is a single button that toggles on/off position. So it would be difficult to get the PSE button to drive these aftermarket valve controllers. You'd have to do some programming of a device like an Arduino to translate one button push to an on/off. I had the idea of taking one of the remote fob controllers, gut it and then 3d print some kind of bracket that fits in the cigarette lighter cubby thing on the console. I'll probably do it eventually but too many competing projects going on right now
I bought a used center console button piece and gave it to my stereo guy. He loves projects. He is working on a way to solder leads from the fob board to the console board. This would potentially allow the use of the stock button. It’s a work in progress. Will let the forum know if it works.
the home link works great. But I rarely close the valves.
Old 06-29-2024 | 08:02 PM
rock-rf
Track Day

You run the positive lead of the valve controller there and then the negative lead goes to one of the bolts attached to your body.
Just got my kit in from Aliexpress and about to give this a go. Forsa - did you modify the 12V socket plug to strip/split the end of the cord and use a fuse tap? I'm trying to figure out the best method to get everything hard-wired into the trunk, as my kit only came with the cigarette socket style power cord.
Old 06-30-2024 | 02:07 AM
DER951
Rennlist Member

I did this mod recently, and cut the lighter plug off power cord. You only need 18 inches or less of power cord, then use a fuse tap to the panel in the trunk.

Make sure the unit can’t flop around, and the power connection is tight. Mine came unplugged on track, the valves opened, and I was immediately black flagged for noise.

Last edited by DER951; 06-30-2024 at 02:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
vantage (10-15-2024)
Old 07-02-2024 | 03:29 PM
forsa355
Track Day

Originally Posted by DER951
I did this mod recently, and cut the lighter plug off power cord. You only need 18 inches or less of power cord, then use a fuse tap to the panel in the trunk.

Make sure the unit can’t flop around, and the power connection is tight. Mine came unplugged on track, the valves opened, and I was immediately black flagged for noise.
I did the same thing, hacked off the cigarette end and spliced in a wire tap. I attached the unit to the trunk side trim with zip ties... holding up well but I haven't taken it on the track yet
Old 07-02-2024 | 04:14 PM
rock-rf
Track Day

Originally Posted by DER951

I did the same thing, hacked off the cigarette end and spliced in a wire tap. I attached the unit to the trunk side trim with zip ties... holding up well but I haven't taken it on the track yet

Thanks a bunch! I ended up doing exactly the same this past weekend. I may try and move the box to hide it on the left side of the trunk behind the trim eventually, but I ran out of extra tubing. All hooked up and working now, many thanks for the writeup.

Short followup question to those who've done this - do your valves rattle a bit when closing? I'm wondering if I need to lubricate or tighten something on mine, because I get an audible rattle for those 4 seconds where the vacuum is building up.
Old 07-03-2024 | 08:56 AM
Ernest72
Racer

If anyone wants to hear what the valve can do. I have the soul valve. This is my base with soul longtube headers, PSE and FVD tune. It’s a blast. here is the video from souls website of my car.

https://rennlist.com/forums/981-foru...l#post19504440

Old 09-19-2024 | 11:39 AM
dc2000
Instructor

Hi everyone. If anyone is interested, I'm building a module to connect the OEM PSE button to the wireless controller box in OP's post. Here's a demonstration of the prototype on my 997.2.

If you'd like to get on the waitlist or stay updated, fill out this Google Form. Thanks!

FINZ (09-21-2024)
Old 09-19-2024 | 04:09 PM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

I used the Soul-like kit from Ali express and it works great! I programmed 2 homelink buttons to open / close the valves which works great as well. My controller actuates more Ali express parts - butterfly valves tapped in to the overaxle pipe just shy (upstream) of the muffler. A DIY version of a TracTech exhaust with the benefit of utilizing the stock muffler when in quiet mode. When added to race headers, the setup is basically straight pipes with valves open and it sounds awesome at the track and also sounds "normal" when valves are shut and driving around town. My wife calls it the stupid button because it is so loud but it roars!
rezilient (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 01:39 AM
rezilient
Rennlist Member

@forsa355 @brewerbry quick question about the Alibaba kit, i see there are also fully electric valve options available any reason why that is not preferable to the vacuum line kit? It seems to open and close faster as well. Thoughts?
Old 10-07-2024 | 09:52 AM
brewerbry
Rennlist Member

I am reluctant to use electrics for the dump valves due to the heat - it gets HOT! I figured if the vaccuum valves fail I can pretty easily replace them but electronics...who knows. Maybe they survive the heat maybe not - just not worth the gamble for me.
rezilient (10-07-2024)
Old 10-07-2024 | 11:21 AM
rezilient
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brewerbry
I am reluctant to use electrics for the dump valves due to the heat - it gets HOT! I figured if the vaccuum valves fail I can pretty easily replace them but electronics...who knows. Maybe they survive the heat maybe not - just not worth the gamble for me.
Fair enough and it makes sense, did some additional googling and it seems quality
of the electronics for these things are hit or miss even directly from the factory, so vacuum is the way to go. I’ll post an update once i get mine done, parts on order and found an exhaust shop that can do the welding for me. I’m going with the blue standalone vacuum controller that Forsa355 did and the dump / cutout valves that you (brewerbry) did. Thanks guys.
Old 10-15-2024 | 06:00 PM
vantage
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the tip, I'm going to try and use this product to pass sound at Laguna Seca.

Quick Reply: Super cheap DIY remote PSE valve controller