Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best phone mounting solutions

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday | 02:37 PM
various cheeses
Racer

You may be able to route the cord around the edges of the stereo by kind of pushing it into the space between the dash trim and the edge of the stereo.

@t-design any chance we could get more photos of it mounted on the top (even with the cord dangling)?
Old Yesterday | 03:00 PM
v187
AutoX

i ordered the mount from t design(the newest one) and it should be here shortly.

I'll take pictures and review it later today

Last edited by v187; Yesterday at 04:17 PM.
Old Yesterday | 03:30 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by various cheeses
You may be able to route the cord around the edges of the stereo by kind of pushing it into the space between the dash trim and the edge of the stereo.

@t-design any chance we could get more photos of it mounted on the top (even with the cord dangling)?
Well, if one gets serious about it - one can unscrew and pull the radio unit forward a little to get access and route the cord inside the dash right there on top of the screen. Our cord is flat and only 1.1mm thick. Radio is held by 4 screws that are easily accessible after removing side panels on center console. Also, the door lock buttons should popout pretty easy and will be even better way to route the cable. But everybody we tested on - very happy with side of the radio position. Without the phone - charger completely blends into the interior, and difficult to even notice.

Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

Old Yesterday | 04:21 PM
v187
AutoX

yea my pref is top, i feel the side position or the PCM is too low for the nav for my comfort. I always liked it in my direct view/close peripheral.
i guess im more used to it cause of video games with a minimap etc. I had difficulties when I rented a vehicle and it had the nav where the PCM is and at times i feel its a little unsafe because it diverts too much from looking at the road.
i also really like that it blocks the red light from the lock button, its a little distracting.
i had the wire before so its no biggie and doesnt matter to me. when i need to show off the car, i put the wire in the glove box. 99% of the time when im driving i dont need to even charge my phone nowadays because the batteries have good longevity.

id also rather have my gadget upgrades to show at car meets, so people can ask about it and i can spread the good word.

Last edited by v187; Yesterday at 04:23 PM.
Old Yesterday | 05:56 PM
boxdriver
Racer

For the cord management, I ended up using small black zip-ties. I zip them on the cord and leave the tail about 3/4" long and tuck that into the gap between the radio and the dash to hold the cord in place.

I have since replaced my head unit with an Android unit with a larger screen and CarPlay, so I moved my phone holder to the center console in front of the armrest. I again used the zip-ties and routed the cord into the armrest plug.

Old Yesterday | 06:11 PM
v187
AutoX

got the mount, really solid build and looks great. but it didnt come with the included metal plate for my phone -_-
I had ordered one off amazon but returned it since i thought it was included from information from the email.

Thats on me since i went for the magsafe one and not a fault with t-design

Last edited by v187; Yesterday at 06:19 PM.
Old Yesterday | 06:26 PM
boxdriver
Racer

Originally Posted by v187
got the mount, really solid build and looks great. but it didnt come with the included metal plate for my phone -_-
I had ordered one off amazon but returned it since i thought it was included from information from the email.

Thats on me since i went for the magsafe one and not a fault with t-design
If you use the metal plate, the phone will not charge since it covers the spot that the phone use to charge wirelessly. You need a Mag-safe type of phone cover for the charger to work.

Quick Reply: Best phone mounting solutions