Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PDK fluid change and noticed this oil mess - what is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 06:19 PM
Chadddada
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PDK fluid change and noticed this oil mess - what is it?

Hello,

I put my 2016 base Cayman on the lift and did an initial inspection before I started the PDK fluid change. When looking around, I noticed a decent amount of old oil/fluid buildup on the driver's side of the car. This seems to be around an oil/fluid cooling area and stuck to the side of the transmission. The car currently has 40K miles on it. I am guessing this is pretty common, but 1st time to doing into this job. Best guess as to what this is: Normal, need to replace something while the cars on the lift? Adding some pics of the area, the mess, and it cleaned up some. No drips, just some build up.

Dirty

Dirty(still)

Clean
I appreciate any help you can offer.

Thanks all!

EDIT: Update
It seems like it's a good chance it's these o-rings, but please let me know your thoughts.

Part 30 (2x) and 32 (non-reusable bolt)
  • 4 x transmission oil pipe end o-ring (#30, 9G130789101)
  • 1 x bolt (#32, 9G130780200)
  • 5 x bolt (#26, 9G130781300)

Last edited by Chadddada; 03-16-2024 at 11:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2024, 06:18 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

K' I'll bite..

First of all, nice job cleaning up that bit of the mess! The good news is, its not too involved. I've certainly seen worse.
N' good on you for tackling the PDK fluid change.

The oily/greasy mess looks wind blown/sprayed to me. It also appears to be source from somewhere beneath the oil cooler (mess isolated to the underside of the transmission pipes).
So it could be from the lower junction of the transmission pipes pointing to those seals. I'd also give that drive shaft boot seal a close inspection, but would expect a bigger mess if that was involved.. so less likely.

Considering the PDK clutch fluid fill port is right there, its possible the mess came from the last fluid change event (when spinning up with the plug removed, as part of the top up procedure).

Keep an eye on it. You may have already got it resolved.

Old 03-18-2024, 10:23 PM
Chadddada
6th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

PDK cooler lines grime update
It may have just been oil from a previous fluid change, but I am unsure. I cleaned it up and decided to watch for any future buildup. There are no drips on the floor or driveway anywhere. I have a lift so I can toss it back on there whenever.

PDK fill question
I was going to do the pan but decided to hold on to that (40K miles so far, but I did a few track days). I drained the PDK clutch fluid, and it didn't seem to have much come out; it was maybe 2.5L drained. I had 6L of fluid but only had to open 3 bottles. It appeared full and was coming out of the fill hole. Once it came out of the fill hole, I started the car, measured 40c on the PDK cooler pipe, and ran in through P,R,D. I was able to add a bit more fluid (1/4 bottle). I was expecting to do the full 6L but it only drained/took 1/2 of that. Is that normal? I don't have a PIWIS tool for the PDK fill mode, but I understood you wouldn't need that for only a refill. The capacity is ~5.5L but nothing close to that came out/went it. Does this track with what others have seen, or does something seem off?
The following 2 users liked this post by Chadddada:
CaymanCarver (03-20-2024), tomekz (03-19-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 09:50 PM
tomekz
Racer

Received 311 Likes on 120 Posts

that's about how much I got when draining my pdk last year.

Originally Posted by Chadddada
PDK cooler lines grime update
It may have just been oil from a previous fluid change, but I am unsure. I cleaned it up and decided to watch for any future buildup. There are no drips on the floor or driveway anywhere. I have a lift so I can toss it back on there whenever.

PDK fill question
I was going to do the pan but decided to hold on to that (40K miles so far, but I did a few track days). I drained the PDK clutch fluid, and it didn't seem to have much come out; it was maybe 2.5L drained. I had 6L of fluid but only had to open 3 bottles. It appeared full and was coming out of the fill hole. Once it came out of the fill hole, I started the car, measured 40c on the PDK cooler pipe, and ran in through P,R,D. I was able to add a bit more fluid (1/4 bottle). I was expecting to do the full 6L but it only drained/took 1/2 of that. Is that normal? I don't have a PIWIS tool for the PDK fill mode, but I understood you wouldn't need that for only a refill. The capacity is ~5.5L but nothing close to that came out/went it. Does this track with what others have seen, or does something seem off?
Old 03-20-2024, 10:29 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadddada
PDK fill question
Exact same experience here. Based on the specs, bought way more fluids than needed. But now have plenty for the next scheduled fluid changes.

Clutch Fluid: Drained 2L. Filled 2.46L.
Gear Oil: Drained 2L. Filled 2.52L

I drain into a graduated mixing bucket from Home Depot (~$7. LINK ) Gives a reasonably accurate measure of the drain.

Quick Reply: PDK fluid change and noticed this oil mess - what is it?