Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifting to Neutral with paddles, PDK

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2024, 12:09 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mindsigh
I called and spoke w/ the dealership today and they were "90% sure" that this feature cannot be programmed into the car if it did not come stock with the sport design wheel w/ paddles.

Seems my only option if I really want this feature might be to use the Cobb tune.
Really hopeful that someone with more knowledge can guide me in the right direction if the dealership is mistaken. It seems this should be an easy change if an aftermarket tune can do it.

I've also reached out to Suncoast to see if they have any suggestions but haven't heard back from them yet.
I remember reading that the Cobb tune method is slightly different. I want to say that it's a "temporary neutral" meaning that it goes back into gear once you release both paddles? Not really sure about that, but you might want to investigate further before spending the $. I know there's something different about it, but I don't remember what exactly.

EDIT: Sorry, this is essentially a duplicate. ICNU said the same thing above...

Last edited by Natural1; 03-09-2024 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-09-2024, 12:13 PM
mindsigh
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Natural1
I remember reading that the Cobb tune method is slightly different. I want to say that it's a "temporary neutral" meaning that it goes back into gear once you release both paddles? Not really sure about that, but you might want to investigate further before spending the $. I know there's something different about it, but I don't remember what exactly.
I think you're right about that. ICNU mentioned something similar in their comment and I've read others mention the same thing. So while not the same function it would get me closer than I currently am lol.

Not sure the Cobb is worth it to me just for that though.
Old 03-10-2024, 02:46 PM
Jim981CS
Pro

Received 279 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by mindsigh
I called and spoke w/ the dealership today and they were "90% sure" that this feature cannot be programmed into the car if it did not come stock with the sport design wheel w/ paddles.

Seems my only option if I really want this feature might be to use the Cobb tune.
Really hopeful that someone with more knowledge can guide me in the right direction if the dealership is mistaken. It seems this should be an easy change if an aftermarket tune can do it.

I've also reached out to Suncoast to see if they have any suggestions but haven't heard back from them yet.
Here is a screenshot from Cobb’s site describing their Dual Paddle Neutral function.

I installed the Cobb AccessPort with PDK flash 6 years ago on my 2014 CS. My car came with the Sport Design steering wheel with the paddles and pulling and releasing both paddles put the PDK in neutral the same before and after I installed the Cobb PDK flash. I have always used it as a coasting function and the gear display in the cluster is blank when engaged and flipping either paddle will put it back in gear. If you come to a stop before you re engage a gear, you must have your foot on the brake to flip a paddle to put it in first gear.

It looks like from the Cobb description above that the Dual Paddle Neutral function will only work with an upgraded steering wheel with paddles if you use either their Cobb Sequential Style or Cobb OEM+ map. The map I use and prefer is the Cobb Aggressive map (older version V202). I have PIWIW2 and have not looked into coding a new wheel but I would guess that you would need to change the coding of the wheel to the Sports Design wheel ( Porsche option code 840) and this would probably not work with a multi function wheel????
Jim
Old 03-13-2024, 11:31 AM
mindsigh
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Just wanted to provide an update here for posterity sake -

According to dealership and Suncoast, I am told that it is not possible to change the way the wheel functions if the car comes stock with a multifunction wheel with the "shifter buttons" and is then upgraded to a 718 style wheel with paddles.

It can be done with a 991/981 Sport Design wheel with the MF stalk, however.
So if you're planning on installing a 718 multifunction paddle wheel and the double shift to neutral feature is important to you then also consider getting the Cobb tune.

If anyone has been able to find a workaround for this please let me know but this is the information that I received from two dealerships and Suncoast.

Quick Reply: Shifting to Neutral with paddles, PDK