Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on questions 981 maintenance items.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 10:28 AM
MikenOH
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Questions on questions 981 maintenance items.

We have a 2013 981 with a proximity 43000 miles on it. lots of track Miles on it.
Questions:
Differential fluid..... I started to hear what sounded like whining last year asked a local dealer if they'd change the fluid, and they seemed reluctant to do so saying that this was a lifetime fill. Not buying it but not sure why they were reluctant.
Is this something that sounds appr given the car's age and usage?
Clutch slave cylinder bleed....clutch seems to have gotten a bit less smooth over the last year and I've read where the bleed process can be beneficial if the action seems a bit rough. Is this part of a ty brake flush..had one done 2 years ago...or do you have to ask the dealer to get it done. Having watched a video on I can see why they might want to skip it.
Thanks for any help on this in advance.
Old 03-04-2024, 01:49 PM
marques
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the car sees plenty of track time, you would want to change the differential fluid at least on a yearly basis, regardless of what the dealer says.

And about the clutch bleeding, unless you specifically ask for it, odds are they will just bleed the brakes and not the slave cylinder. Access is a little awkward, but with a crow's foot and a small extension, it's not too bad. It helps if the engine/exhaust isn't hot
Old 03-04-2024, 07:14 PM
RennPart
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 353 Likes on 154 Posts

I typically will flush the clutch every other time on customer's cars that I maintain for the track.

These days it seems most of my customer's opt for PDK which requires it's own maintenance schedule.

--Aaron

rennpart.com | Phone: 336-793-2134 |Email: ace@rennpart.com

Instagram | Facebook
The following users liked this post:
Digs1 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 09:54 PM
Kitc2246
Three Wheelin'

Received 477 Likes on 347 Posts

Are you tracking the car or you bought one that was tracked? Sorry, but the tech at the dealer is an idiot. I have never heard a Porsche technician recommend not changing fluids if asked, especially a vehicle that is tracked. Find a good indy even if you DIY. I have a PDK and change it and the diff ever two years.
The following users liked this post:
Ernest72 (03-10-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 08:39 AM
Digs1
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RennPart
I typically will flush the clutch every other time on customer's cars that I maintain for the track.

These days it seems most of my customer's opt for PDK which requires it's own maintenance schedule.

--Aaron
Just a shout out to Aaron and RennPart. The '98 base Spec Boxster that Aaron built, which my partner and I bought from him in late 2021/early 2022, has been performing flawlessy over two full seasons. It has been bullet proof. We are ready for this season to kick off, will be at VIR in April, and hope to say "hello" again in person. Note that this car has been doing "double duty" each weekend because my co-owner and I both drive her on our track weekends. (we're in different run groups). I highly recommend Aaron for all your Porsche needs!!