Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Price Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2024, 04:05 PM
BondJ
Pro

Received 340 Likes on 231 Posts

Recent financial reports in the UK confirm that EV vehicle sales fell by twenty-five per cent in 2023 compared to 2022. Fleet/company purchases are not being renewed (yet) and private buyers appear to be falling away
The following users liked this post:
CaymanCarver (03-18-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 05:05 PM
john981
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

People are saying manual is so rare and is more valuable. When you go to bringatrailer more than half of the boxsters are manual. I also had a manual boxster several years ago (2017). It was a 2014 manual boxster with X73 with 47k miles on it. I bought it CPO from a Porsche dealership. It was in pristine condition. The dealership had priced it for 42k. Nobody would buy the car. I ended up getting it for 33k because they wanted to get rid of it. Later on as I wanted to sell it, it was a PIA to find a buyer because everybody wanted a PDK. So those who think the manual is sort of gold version of the 981, look closer into the market.
Old 03-16-2024, 05:18 PM
BondJ
Pro

That’ll be because you’re in the US where autos are the norm on everything. Most everywhere else a manual (especially on a performance car) is where it’s at. The PDK was a novelty when first made available on P cars but soon lost its shine (even though it’s a fabulous semi-auto box). Here in the UK a manual tends to carry a premium. I believe the same applies throughout Europe
Old 03-16-2024, 05:31 PM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

..and another couple things about EV's (apologies in advance for the swerve on the subject of market price but it is directly applicable.).
  1. Recently, the auto lease mgmt. companies were threatening to sue the manufacturers for the dramatic decrease in EV car valuations. Not sure ..but it sounds like the manufacturers countered with rebates to lease holders in the thou$and$.
  2. Our 981 Caymans are not connected to the interwebz/internet (are the 718's? not sure..). Therefore as recently reported, no 981 driver behavior can be sold to the insurance companies, ..which in turn could directly affect your insurance rates.
    Which appears to be DEFAULT in every EV car. (see LexisNexis driver reports etc.)
GREAT SELLING POINT for our 981 Caymans. No insurance company spying!

Last edited by CaymanCarver; 03-17-2024 at 11:18 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by CaymanCarver:
ehuggins (03-16-2024), Larson E. Rapp (03-16-2024)
Old 03-16-2024, 07:20 PM
BondJ
Pro

It’s worse than that. With legislation on ICE production having been moved forward five years (and likely to be moved further forward in the future), EV sales will surely continue to stall. This is catastrophic for car manufacturers due to investment already committed to electric. The real shame here is that there was never any need to rush to EV. Bio fuel was always the best medium-term solution to vehicle-generated greenhouse gas. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with the combustion engine…just the fossil based fuel that powers it
CaymanCarver (03-18-2024)
Old 03-17-2024, 12:19 AM
SQ13
Advanced

Received 58 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by john981
People are saying manual is so rare and is more valuable. When you go to bringatrailer more than half of the boxsters are manual. I also had a manual boxster several years ago (2017). It was a 2014 manual boxster with X73 with 47k miles on it. I bought it CPO from a Porsche dealership. It was in pristine condition. The dealership had priced it for 42k. Nobody would buy the car. I ended up getting it for 33k because they wanted to get rid of it. Later on as I wanted to sell it, it was a PIA to find a buyer because everybody wanted a PDK. So those who think the manual is sort of gold version of the 981, look closer into the market.
That might be a Boxster thing. From what I’ve seen so far, manual Caymans tend to sell pretty well.
Old 03-18-2024, 10:56 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

I would not use bring a trailer as the norm for prices. Those are typically very clean low mile cars. Prices are also higher there than I other sites. 81k is pretty high cost. 1.5 years ago I passed on two CGTS that were 67k and 73k.

I think prices will level off. Mine is a base 14 cayman with PDK, so I will just drive the snot out of it and not have a concern in the world for resale.
brake_late (03-22-2024)
Old 03-18-2024, 11:27 PM
Cyclman
Rennlist Member

Received 397 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanCrush
Crazy talk!

Sales of electric cars are in the toilet.
Ford, GM, Volvo, Mercedes, VW are acknowledging losses in the BILLION$ and are significantly curtailing production numbers. Fisker is about to go bankrupt. Rivian, Lucid, Polestar etc.. all bad news. Huge losses.
Not many more people are going to buy a car that can spontaneously combust ..that cannot be driven on long trips ..takes hours to charge up under normal conditions and won't charge at all when freezing.
EVs have lost the propaganda war and their luster. My sympathies to everyone that bought an EV early-on, considering their value has been slashed by about 50%.
See the story of the Ford F-150 Lightning and what happened with the Tesla Cyber Truck?? Nobody cares.

Wait for it.. the tax payer funded subsidies are drying up and EV road taxes are about to be levied because the added weight has accelerated road damage (more bigger pot holes).
The current state of the electric grid is woefully inadequate for the EV's sold today and there is no info. on upgrading the grid to accommodate increased EV capacity.

Edit (3-17-2024): News this morning the CEO of Hertz resigned after big EV bet goes bust. Massive investment in EV fleet prior to devaluation of EV's.

Not to mention the added weight makes them ridiculous on a road course. They certainly can go fast in a straight line but not in the twisties where they chew up tires, brakes and suspension bits.
Hybrids and Hypercars are where its at! Trying to watch a Formula-E race is weird.. they can only manage a lap or two..
WEC ditched Formula-E altogether.
I am not an electric car apologist, I am currently saving up for a GT4 so that I can have an ICE car for the track for many years. I do not even disagree that we are not ready for electric cars yet, nor would I buy one of the current crop of cars. But solid state batteries are coming, no one obviously knows when, it is the future. No fire issues with solid state. Solid state batteries will weigh 40% of the weight of current batteries, so weight will not be an issue. These cars will be comparable to current car weights. Therefore, just as good as today’s cars in the corners, but will have massive torque, likely greater horsepower, so will pull away from ICE cars easily. This will be the world changing technology, and by the way, these cars will charge in 15 or 20 minutes. Where will tracks will get the chargers, I don’t know, probably the government will fund it, maybegenerators. But I have asked many of my Porsche friends, are they going to stick with their wonderful sounding internal combustion car as they get passed on the track inevitably, or will they convert to newer, faster (in turns and straights) tech? Competitive people will do the latter. I will enjoy my slower, ICE car…
The following 3 users liked this post by Cyclman:
CaymanCarver (03-20-2024), Ernest72 (03-21-2024), Mike981S (03-19-2024)
Old 03-21-2024, 02:09 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

All Motorsports will be worse for the people watching as they go to EV. Sure they can make some fake noise but anyone who has been to F1 or NASCAR knows the sound is something. Think about an air show with planes that make no sound. Not as much fun. Now for the drivers it’s still fun, but for me no sound, no fun.

Personally, I think someone will make an EV that mimics shifting and the accompanying sound for enthusiasts.
CaymanCarver (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: 981 Price Discussion