Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle Behind the Dash

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 03:14 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Rattle Behind the Dash

Hi all, I had a new rattle develop seemingly over night and I'm hoping someone here has experienced something similar and can point me in the right direction. It went from no noise one day to constant rattling the next. It's hard to localize the sound, but it seems to be coming from behind the instrument cluster and sounds like there's a tiny pebble bouncing around on plastic. The video shows that it rattles pretty aggressively even on fairly smooth surfaces at low speeds. Side to side motion doesn't seem to trigger it, but vertical bouncing does. Any ideas?

Old 02-29-2024, 03:22 PM
ramiy
Intermediate

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

The first thing I would do is pop open what is accessible without a screw driver, so it the center speaker cover and the above dash cover and take a look.

I had sounds coming out when my center speaker blew, changed all the speakers and never heard the noise again.

good luck
The following users liked this post:
danby (02-29-2024)
Old 03-03-2024, 07:42 PM
danby
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, I ended up removing some old wiring for a dash cam and that seems to have cleared it up.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:56 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 172 Posts

Congrats on finding it..

I've had a loose passenger seatbelt make a noise that sounded like it was coming from under the passenger dash/front wheel.. Just reset the seatbelt and no more noise.
I've also had a small money change dispenser in the driver door storage compartment make noise like it was coming from under the center dash. Settling the coins makes it stop.

Weird how sounds reflect inside the cab of the Cayman.

Quick Reply: Rattle Behind the Dash