Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Powder Coating Wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2024, 02:35 PM
Bugsycgul
7th Gear

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Powder Coating Wheels?

I have a set a Carrara S wheels in Platinum on my Agate Gray Metallic Cayman S, but the powder coating has started to come off. I would like to have them powder coated (or whatever better method exists) to a silver.
Has anyone done this? Any input and pictures would be appreciated!

Old 02-14-2024, 09:26 PM
Sajan
Pro

Received 300 Likes on 179 Posts

Went from silver to platinum.
I had it painted. I would recommend painting over powder coating.
Old 02-15-2024, 12:39 AM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 320 Posts

Tough call. Photos of your wheels' issues might help in making a recommendation. Powder coat AFAIK does not have any exact matches for Porsche OEM wheels, so that means matching center cap colors is an issue to consider. Powder coating requires the paint to be stripped either chemically or with a high temperature bake. If you choose powder coating, make sure you understand how your job will be done, and any possible effects, especially for the baking. Lots of opinions out there regarding it. If you choose paint, I suggest being **** enough to have the paint shop confirm the paint type, formulation, and what they intend to paint. If you've had them ceramic coated make damned sure you let them know.

I had a bad experience with my Carrera S3s going from silver to platinum satin. Before my shop started I told them I wanted the inner barrels painter too. They thought that was stupid but I explained to them that I keep them as clean as the outer portion, washing them every time the car gets washed. They didn't paint the back side of the spokes and they're covered with overspray now. And since my wheels had been ceramic coated (supposedly) by a previous owner, the overspray didn't stick so well in some spots and really well in others. So now I'm unsure about the rest of the wheel developing issues later. They won't talk to me because of some of the other issues with the job. Long story, but every time I call they make excuses that the person I need to talk to is busy and they won't return my call when asked. I'm still mulling over my options and will likely strip them down and go with paint again, but will have to find a different shop.
Old 02-15-2024, 08:54 AM
toma nova
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 238 Posts

I had my OE wheels powered coated black with no issues. Chemical strip (takes care of any ceramic coating) then baked on in one day. Faces, rear of spokes, and barrels are perfect. The only issues are with the inside edge where they clamped the wheel to a jig - some rough coating that cannot be seen except by me when I rotate tires.

3+ years with no wear.

Old 02-15-2024, 10:32 AM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Agree with others. If you are trying to match the color perfectly then paint. If you just want a nice silver or another color, powder coat works just fine. I have powder coated wheels for other cars and they hold up really well.
Old 02-15-2024, 06:23 PM
SnowmanMafia
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Primatic Powders will send you a ton of free sample colors on little aluminum rectangles so you can see the colors in real life/different lighting. All I paid was ~10 dollars shipping.

When I powder coated my wheels I did that and taped them to my wheel in my driveway to look at them.

I would suggest this route if you're trying to find the "perfect" color.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...coating-colors

Old 02-15-2024, 08:22 PM
thecajunboy
Rennlist Member

Received 508 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowmanMafia
Primatic Powders will send you a ton of free sample colors on little aluminum rectangles so you can see the colors in real life/different lighting. All I paid was ~10 dollars shipping.

When I powder coated my wheels I did that and taped them to my wheel in my driveway to look at them.

I would suggest this route if you're trying to find the "perfect" color.

https://www.prismaticpowders.com/sho...coating-colors
What color did you end up with? and did you get a match for center caps?
Old 02-15-2024, 08:27 PM
SnowmanMafia
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

I went with a color called Bazinga and had Clear Vision laid on top as a gloss clear coat.

The color is wild in person, it's very metallic, and changes in varying light from a deep gold to more of a faint rose gold.

The following 2 users liked this post by SnowmanMafia:
Ernest72 (02-15-2024), Randy_B (02-15-2024)
Old 02-16-2024, 09:30 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by SnowmanMafia
The color is wild in person, it's very metallic, and changes in varying light from a deep gold to more of a faint rose gold.
My .02 on the subject..understanding the title of the thread is "Powder Coating".

Another alternative is a "PVD Coating" (Physical Vapor Deposition). Pretty sure PVD is more durable than Powder Coating but is definitely more $$.

PVD coatings also change with the light.

I have a Black Onyx Chrome PVD treatment on the Viper wheels. But there are other PVD color treatments.
Depending on the direction of the light, can look anywhere from "chrome'ish" to a deep "high gloss black" (all at the same time on the same wheel!).

Quick Reply: Powder Coating Wheels?