Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 CS PDK - Carnewal vs PSE vs Stock (drone)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 05:45 PM
IndigoInkTaco
Pro

Received 350 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Ernest72
yeah I jumped on it. I made an offer on another one and was rejected in November. I went away for thanksgiving and said I would pay the full price when I got back but it was gone. This one was cheaper so it worked out good for me. I was checking eBay 3-4 times a day. Good luck. You will find one soon enough. It is just how much people want for them knowing they are hard to come by. My dealer in NJ said they had maybe one for the whole year that they installed. I am just happy because my next move was the valved soul performance exhaust, so I saved a ton of money finding the PSE.
I was wondering what you were replacing the carneval w/ when I saw you post that up for sale.
Old 01-23-2024, 04:50 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by IndigoInkTaco
I was wondering what you were replacing the carneval w/ when I saw you post that up for sale.
yeah I want the valve option. Mine was a custom exhaust similar to carnewal, but I think it’s a little louder. It’s hard to tell without a direct comparison to the carnewal. I know it was louder than the PSE at times. But honestly very similar. I was happy with both. Just selling to make room. I have other cars, BRZ and WRX and I currently have 5 exhausts not on cars at my house at this moment. It’s crazy, I know.
Old 01-28-2024, 01:32 PM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Carnewal GT Exhaust - 150 mile update

Honestly, not much to say beyond what I noted above. Any changes over the past 100 miles are minimal. It's an excellent and budget-friendly sport exhaust solution. Aggressive when you want it to be, and docile when you don't. No drone issues - it's basically the same as the stock exhaust, and definitely not any worse to my ears. Cold starts are a bit louder, and of course idle is as well, but again I don't get the sense that it's too much.

As I mentioned before, I think "civilized aggression" is a good description. Overall I'm very happy with this decision, and I have no regrets at all. Gert also made the process easy and smooth, even considering shipping from/to Belgium.

If you're on the fence about this, 100% go for it!
The following 8 users liked this post by Natural1:
CaymanCarver (01-29-2024), DeanClevername (01-28-2024), ElCid86 (03-06-2024), Ernest72 (01-29-2024), FINZ (01-29-2024), KBell (03-08-2024), rr_gts (01-28-2024), TMc993 (01-28-2024) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-29-2024, 08:37 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Natural1
Carnewal GT Exhaust - 150 mile update
Aggressive when you want it to be, and docile when you don't. No drone issues - I think "civilized aggression" is a good description.
Civilized Aggression.. I like that.
Old 01-29-2024, 11:15 PM
t-design
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 276 Likes on 177 Posts

I did a "Carneval" mod DIY back in a day on my 981 Boxster S MT, and it's really not too much at all and there is no drone on my car. It really most noticable under acceleration, otherwise just a tad bit louder than stock. FWIW
Cupdholders, Sunglass Holsters and more at T-Design9.com

The following users liked this post:
ElCid86 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-02-2024, 05:46 PM
carl s
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, only my second post here. I installed my Carnewal GT on my 2013 Cayman 981 base manual a couple of weeks ago bought direct from them in Belgium. I've done about 200 miles and so far my observations are:

- Much louder on cold start than the standard exhaust (about 50-60%) noticeable at the moment as it's about 2 deg C at the moment when I startup to go to work.
- Noticeably louder when the car is cold driving at normal speeds at 2000-3000 rpm with some drone that wasn't there before at 2000 rpm which is a bit of disappointment
- When the car is fully warmed up the sound is much nicer and the drone is mostly gone at 2k When i say fully warmed up - I mean 15-20 minutes into the journey when oil is at 105 deg C. Up until then it sounds different

I'm going to persist with the Carnewal exhaust for the next 1000 miles or so and see if it matures or quietens down when cold. Otherwise I might have to look at switching back to a standard exhaust. Anyone else here with a Carnewal notice such a difference between cold & warm sound?
Old 03-03-2024, 12:28 AM
Natural1
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by carl s
Hi, only my second post here. I installed my Carnewal GT on my 2013 Cayman 981 base manual a couple of weeks ago bought direct from them in Belgium. I've done about 200 miles and so far my observations are:

- Much louder on cold start than the standard exhaust (about 50-60%) noticeable at the moment as it's about 2 deg C at the moment when I startup to go to work.
- Noticeably louder when the car is cold driving at normal speeds at 2000-3000 rpm with some drone that wasn't there before at 2000 rpm which is a bit of disappointment
- When the car is fully warmed up the sound is much nicer and the drone is mostly gone at 2k When i say fully warmed up - I mean 15-20 minutes into the journey when oil is at 105 deg C. Up until then it sounds different

I'm going to persist with the Carnewal exhaust for the next 1000 miles or so and see if it matures or quietens down when cold. Otherwise I might have to look at switching back to a standard exhaust. Anyone else here with a Carnewal notice such a difference between cold & warm sound?
I agree on the "truly cold start" comment as we have had some colder temps recently here in Georgia, and it is fairly loud on startup in those conditions (in the 30s F). However, I'm not really noticing the symptoms of your second bullet point. Mine is fairly "normal" once the idle drops, and the drone is essentially the same as it's always been. But, mine is a Cayman 3.4 PDK, and that is generally regarded as being the worst combination in terms of drone with the stock exhaust. I could definitely see how the Carnewal might affect a 2.7 manual more in that regard, as you started out with the least drone to begin with. Possibly quieter to begin with as well? Don't know, might be wrong about that...

With the S/PDK combo, compared to stock, the Carnewal is simply fantastic. If it were stolen tomorrow, I'd buy it again immediately. Zero downside.

Last edited by Natural1; 03-03-2024 at 12:41 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Natural1:
carl s (03-03-2024), ElCid86 (03-04-2024), Ernest72 (03-04-2024)
Old 03-04-2024, 04:18 PM
Ernest72
Racer

Received 174 Likes on 117 Posts

Cold start will be loud but just putting it into gear can lower it on a PDK. 7th gear PDK always has some drone. But it’s not really bad on the carnewal or my current PSE. But I like sound. A quiet car is weird to me. I drive my wife’s car or daughter’s SUV and there is no sound. For me no sound, no fun.
Old 03-06-2024, 11:39 AM
ElCid86
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

For Anyone looking for a donor/exchange exhaust: (8) FS: 981 Cayman stock exhaust | Planet-9 Porsche Forum
Old 03-07-2024, 12:52 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I dont really notice much of a difference in driving volume when cold or hot, even in temps near freezing. Cold starts are louder, but how could they not be with a louder exhaust

To my ear, it doesn't quite sound as loud as a PSE with valves open. But it's winter and I haven't been around other people Porsches much lately, so maybe I forget

I have no drone at all with the GT, but then again I have a manual and am never below 2k rpm. I've always found Porsche flat 6 to be most happy when shifting at 3k rpm, even under light load. If the revs drop to 2k, I drop a gear. These engines like to rev a little. Maybe that's just an old fashioned habit though, since PDK programming seems to be happy using revs between 1-2.2k
Old 03-08-2024, 11:11 AM
CaymanCarver
Pro

Received 246 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
..I have no drone at all with the GT, but then again I have a manual and am never below 2k rpm. I've always found Porsche flat 6 to be most happy when shifting at 3k rpm, even under light load. If the revs drop to 2k, I drop a gear. These engines like to rev a little. Maybe that's just an old fashioned habit though, since PDK programming seems to be happy using revs between 1-2.2k
Your revs match how I drive the PDK in manual mode..almost exactly.
Never drive much over 3K rpm on warm up to operating temp. Then with more revs , have a blast making the exhaust bark on upshift and growl on rev-match-downshift. Both of which sound fantastic in a tunnel.. or any time .
If oil temp gets greater than 220 I open the oil cooler by going to Sport Mode, 'till the temp drops. Otherwise never hesitate to use Sport Mode.

Most fun evah for driving da street and public twisties.

Old 03-12-2024, 01:24 PM
s9ix
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone here have catless headers + the Carnewal? Wondering if it would be too loud or just right, would love any audio clips.

Quick Reply: 981 CS PDK - Carnewal vs PSE vs Stock (drone)